Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » B3 » State of the beelang?
State of the beelang? [message #996511] Wed, 02 January 2013 08:59 Go to next message
Roland Tepp is currently offline Roland TeppFriend
Messages: 36
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hey,

What is the curent state of the b3 beelang?

Is there some development in the direction of using the b3 language for
defining build processes or has the development gone into standsstill?
Re: State of the beelang? [message #996603 is a reply to message #996511] Wed, 02 January 2013 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Messages: 2500
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 2013-02-01 9:59, Roland Tepp wrote:
> Hey,
>
> What is the curent state of the b3 beelang?
>
> Is there some development in the direction of using the b3 language for
> defining build processes or has the development gone into standsstill?

The development of the b3 language is at a standstill.
As a language it is quite complete (it has been used in one application;
non public, not released though), but it lacks concrete implementations
of things that perform useful building.

The build related functionality to date in b3 does not include any
overall build process support (e.g. no functionality to describe things
like; run build on checkin, run tests, publish, etc.). This area was
something we wanted to work on, but never got around to.

The best alternative IMO for Eclipse related builds is currently Eclipse
Buckminster.

Best Regards
- henrik
Re: State of the beelang? [message #997093 is a reply to message #996603] Thu, 03 January 2013 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland Tepp is currently offline Roland TeppFriend
Messages: 36
Registered: July 2009
Member
2.01.2013 15:55, Henrik Lindberg kirjutas:
>> Is there some development in the direction of using the b3 language for
>> defining build processes or has the development gone into standsstill?
>
> The development of the b3 language is at a standstill.
A pity, I rather liked the b3 language.


> As a language it is quite complete (it has been used in one application;
> non public, not released though), but it lacks concrete implementations
> of things that perform useful building.
>
> The build related functionality to date in b3 does not include any
> overall build process support (e.g. no functionality to describe things
> like; run build on checkin, run tests, publish, etc.). This area was
> something we wanted to work on, but never got around to.

You mean the language backend has no support for these things or the
language itself is lacking in these concepts?


> The best alternative IMO for Eclipse related builds is currently Eclipse
> Buckminster.
Yes, I understand that, but I was drawn to the elegance of b3 syntax.

What would it take to wite a functional backend for the language using,
say, Antlib or something similar?

Roland
Re: State of the beelang? [message #997117 is a reply to message #997093] Thu, 03 January 2013 19:04 Go to previous message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Messages: 2500
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 2013-03-01 16:42, Roland Tepp wrote:
> 2.01.2013 15:55, Henrik Lindberg kirjutas:
>>> Is there some development in the direction of using the b3 language for
>>> defining build processes or has the development gone into standsstill?
>>
>> The development of the b3 language is at a standstill.
> A pity, I rather liked the b3 language.
>
I do too :)

>
>> As a language it is quite complete (it has been used in one application;
>> non public, not released though), but it lacks concrete implementations
>> of things that perform useful building.
>>
>> The build related functionality to date in b3 does not include any
>> overall build process support (e.g. no functionality to describe things
>> like; run build on checkin, run tests, publish, etc.). This area was
>> something we wanted to work on, but never got around to.
>
> You mean the language backend has no support for these things or the
> language itself is lacking in these concepts?
>
There are no backends for discovery of relationships from eclipse
metadata, and there are no backends to build things like plugins etc.
The dependency resolution that is implemented is also quite simplistic.

The builder framework itself is implemented, the concepts are there etc.
I used it with specialized builders (in fact building p2 repositories
from b3 described elements, and then aggregating them).
Worked like a charm.

Basically, b3 gives access to anything in Java.

>
>> The best alternative IMO for Eclipse related builds is currently Eclipse
>> Buckminster.
> Yes, I understand that, but I was drawn to the elegance of b3 syntax.
>
> What would it take to wite a functional backend for the language using,
> say, Antlib or something similar?
>
Have not looked at Antlib, so I don't really know how to use it from
Java. Since b3 is easy to integrate with Java it should be relatively
easy if there is a decent java API.

> Roland
>

Hope that helps.
Regards
- henrik
Previous Topic:Unable to unpack artifact when building
Next Topic:validation error when mirroring Orbit
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Nov 27 16:36:35 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.04103 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software