Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Workspace Association Problem(My workspace is disorganizing itself.)
icon4.gif  Workspace Association Problem [message #996010] Mon, 31 December 2012 20:01 Go to next message
Andrew Gies is currently offline Andrew GiesFriend
Hey all-

So, I have my workspace folder inside a dropbox folder, so when I edit/save on my laptop, I can continue the work on my desktop. This part has worked fine, however, when I launch another copy of eclipse, (I'm using java juno), and point it to another workspace, then open my original copy, and point it to the original workspace (in the dropbox folder), I get my working sets back, but none of my projects. It is in the physical folder, but they somehow de-imported and de-associated themselves with the working sets. I know how to import them and reassociate them ( a long, tedious process, I have way to many projects for my own good Razz) , but how would I prevent this from happening in the future?

-Thanks

andrewgies17
Re: Workspace Association Problem [message #996011 is a reply to message #996010] Mon, 31 December 2012 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When rereading, I noticed a confusion point. I open the original copy after closing the second.

andrewgies17
Re: Workspace Association Problem [message #996021 is a reply to message #996011] Mon, 31 December 2012 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
To clarify, you have two separate installations of eclipse (both in separate folders?) You use one installation (A) with a workspace in a dropbox folder and the other installation (B) with a workspace completely separate from the one in the dropbox folder. You start installation A and see projects in the dropbox workspace. You shut down A and start B pointing to a different workspace. Shutdown B and restart A. The dropbox workspace no longer has any projects.

This seems somewhat strange since starting B should not touch a workspace it never opens.

Something to note is that workspaces aren't designed to be shared across machines. Workspaces shouldn't be shared, you should only share projects.
Re: Workspace Association Problem [message #996023 is a reply to message #996021] Mon, 31 December 2012 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have it exactly right. So, to ask another question, if they aren't supposed to be shared, how would I keep and updated file of all my projects across multiple computers.

andrewgies17
Re: Workspace Association Problem [message #996136 is a reply to message #996023] Tue, 01 January 2013 05:35 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
On 12/31/2012 02:50 PM, Andrew Gies wrote:
> You have it exactly right. So, to ask another question, if they aren't
> supposed to be shared, how would I keep and updated file of all my
> projects across multiple computers.
Projects don't have to reside in workspaces. In the simple case, you
can have your projects reside on a flash drive outside the workspace.
You can then add the projects to the workspace using import but leaving
them in the external location on the flash drive.

A better solution would be to learn how to use git and create
repositories on your different machines. You could use local or ssh
protocol to sync files between repositories. This allows you to have
versions of all your work and allows you to merge changes from different
systems.
Previous Topic:How to update from local files
Next Topic:How to copy an eclipse installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:30:56 GMT 2024