Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Debugging complex application startup.(Need to debug an application whose startup is complex.)
Debugging complex application startup. [message #990673] Thu, 13 December 2012 17:17 Go to next message
Bill White is currently offline Bill WhiteFriend
I'm trying to get the debugger to work on my application. GDB can debug my application when I use emacs, but I can't figure out how to configure things so that CDT will debug it.

The application is very complex. Starting it up requires a perl script which calls a shell script which eventually calls the application. Now, the scripts both have support for passing the name of a debugger in, so it seems like this is what I should do. But there seems to be one too many or one too few configuration options in Eclipse.

It looks like I have two configuration options in an Eclipse debug configuration. The first is the name of the program, on the main tab, and the second is the name of the debugger on the debugger tab. Eclipse somehow creates a single command line out of these things. I have three things to specify: The perl script, the executable itself and the gdb executable I want to use. However, since the perl script knows the executable, and I have to put the pathname to the gdb executable in the perl script invocation, it seems like I have only one thing to specify.

So, what should go into the "debugger" edit box and what should go into the "main executable" box? Should I just create bash scripts for both of them, figure out what the general solution is and tie things together so that it works, or is there a more elegant way to do this.

This can't be an uncommon problem. I've known several products that work this way. MPI, for example, usually needs to start a starter process which starts up the debugger with special properties.

Anyway, thanks.
Re: Debugging complex application startup. [message #990925 is a reply to message #990673] Fri, 14 December 2012 22:30 Go to previous message
Bill White is currently offline Bill WhiteFriend
Sorry, what I want to do seems to be impossible. The startup scripts think they know much more about gdb and its invocation than one would think necessary.

Sorry for the spam.
Previous Topic:function stub template
Next Topic:How do I include easily new libraries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:53:59 GMT 2024