Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Orion (Archived) » Commit failed. Ref must be HEAD and is HEAD(Error message on bitbucket repository)
Commit failed. Ref must be HEAD and is HEAD [message #990417] Wed, 12 December 2012 11:49 Go to next message
mr. burns is currently offline mr. burnsFriend
Hi,

I started to use Orion today and wanted to create and use a repository hosted by bitbucket.org.

I created a repository on bitbucket.org.
Then I created a folder and a file inside Orion. Now I wanted the folder and it's file to be committed to the repository.
I staged the folder and clicked 'Commit', I entered Message, Commiter name / eMail, Author name / email and clicked OK.

But then Orion comes up with an error message:

Commit failed. Ref must be HEAD and is HEAD

What I am missing?

Thanks for any help!
Re: Commit failed. Ref must be HEAD and is HEAD [message #990514 is a reply to message #990417] Wed, 12 December 2012 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Arthorne is currently offline John ArthorneFriend
Can you give a pointer to the repository if it is public? I poked around but couldn't find a public Git repository on bitbucket.. all the projects I found used hg instead of git.
Re: Commit failed. Ref must be HEAD and is HEAD [message #990515 is a reply to message #990514] Wed, 12 December 2012 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Walker is currently offline Ken WalkerFriend
I just tried this (as did Mark). Seems a new repository there is uninitialized while at GitHub they might be.

Seems like an error perhaps on our part or at least a message or warning we should be providing.
Re: Commit failed. Ref must be HEAD and is HEAD [message #990519 is a reply to message #990515] Wed, 12 December 2012 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Macdonald is currently offline Mark MacdonaldFriend
Yes, it sounds like the repository that Mr. Burns cloned was uninitialized, so Orion's Git features can't deal with it. Here's how to recover from this:

* In Orion, go to the Repositories page, click Init Repository, then click More.
* Select Existing Folder, and browse to the uninitialized clone that you created. Select it and click OK.

This will initialize your Git repository, so you should be able to commit to it at this point, and push back to Bitbucket.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2012 20:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Commit failed. Ref must be HEAD and is HEAD [message #991258 is a reply to message #990519] Tue, 18 December 2012 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr. burns is currently offline mr. burnsFriend
Hi,

thanks for reply, I did what Mark said, and it seems to work.
But where inside Orion can I push back to Bitbucket?

Thanks again!
Re: Commit failed. Ref must be HEAD and is HEAD [message #991397 is a reply to message #991258] Tue, 18 December 2012 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
The Git status action will take you to the status page.

From there you can see changes that need staging, or committing, or pushing, see diffs, and take the changes through those steps.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/How_Tos/Working_with_git#Using_Orion_Git_Status_Page (it looks quite different now though)

HTH,

Rafael
Re: Commit failed. Ref must be HEAD and is HEAD [message #991409 is a reply to message #991397] Tue, 18 December 2012 23:17 Go to previous message
Ken Walker is currently offline Ken WalkerFriend
Sorry I missed the reply there thanks Rafael.

Here is a more recent git status page view

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Documentation/User_Guide/Reference/Git_Status_page
Previous Topic:How to back with result?
Next Topic:Retrieve Files from other Domain
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:33:02 GMT 2024