Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Management » locally updated image file not updated on remote site
locally updated image file not updated on remote site [message #989163] Tue, 04 December 2012 22:56 Go to next message
Robert Lewis is currently offline Robert LewisFriend
Hello Everyone,

First of all, let me be honest, I'm a relatively new user of Eclipse and RSE.

I have run into an issue where an image file is opened by double clicking on the file in RSE, edited using paint or some other image editor, and then saved. However, the file on the remote site does not get updated with the edited local copy.

Double clicking the image file again, opens up the local version from the workspace temp files. Even after a restart of eclipse, or a disconnect and reconnect of the remote system.

I can however, drag the file from the temp workspace, drop it onto the remote folder, and be prompted to overwrite the existing file, which works as expected. The file on the remote site is overwritten. As well, I can rename, copy and delete files without issue, so I don't think its a permission problem.

Is there something that I am missing, that will automatically update the remote file?

Using latest Eclipse Juno 4.2.1, RSE runtime 3.4.1.201209191030-7L7IFBY83omx__z0RFpKdWB-r5MS, connecting to a Ubuntu 12.04 webserver, using SSH.

Re: locally updated image file not updated on remote site [message #989176 is a reply to message #989163] Wed, 05 December 2012 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Robert Lewis wrote on Tue, 04 December 2012 17:56
Hello Everyone,

First of all, let me be honest, I'm a relatively new user of Eclipse and RSE.

I have run into an issue where an image file is opened by double clicking on the file in RSE, edited using paint or some other image editor, and then saved. However, the file on the remote site does not get updated with the edited local copy.

Double clicking the image file again, opens up the local version from the workspace temp files. Even after a restart of eclipse, or a disconnect and reconnect of the remote system.

I can however, drag the file from the temp workspace, drop it onto the remote folder, and be prompted to overwrite the existing file, which works as expected. The file on the remote site is overwritten. As well, I can rename, copy and delete files without issue, so I don't think its a permission problem.

Is there something that I am missing, that will automatically update the remote file?

Using latest Eclipse Juno 4.2.1, RSE runtime 3.4.1.201209191030-7L7IFBY83omx__z0RFpKdWB-r5MS, connecting to a Ubuntu 12.04 webserver, using SSH.

I'm no RSE expert (barely used it, in fact), but I can offer some educated speculation about what's happening.
Eclipse maintains its own representation of file system resources (the Resources API); in general, file changes that are done by external processes are not automatically detected by Eclipse. Now, bearing in mind the fact that RSE is (most likely) relying on notifications from Eclipse's internal resources API in order to push files to the remote system, it might just be that Eclipse (and hence, RSE) is not aware that the file has been touched.
To test this theory, try right-click on the file or it's containing folder in Eclipse, and select Refresh. If y theory is correct, that will trigger Eclipse's Resources infrastructure to see that the file has been changed and therefore notify RSE, which will then push the file to the remote system.
If this does indeed prove to be correct, you can just manually do the Refresh on folders/files after you've modified them in an external app. Alternatively, there is a Preferences setting that will force Eclipse to monitor file system changes constantly; you can find it under Preferences > General > Workspace > Refresh Using Native Hooks.

Re: locally updated image file not updated on remote site [message #989301 is a reply to message #989176] Wed, 05 December 2012 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the feedback.

Just an update. Refreshing of the file or folder did not work.

Turning on: Preferences > General > Workspace > Refresh Using Native Hooks. did work.

Thanks for the help.
Re: locally updated image file not updated on remote site [message #991172 is a reply to message #989301] Mon, 17 December 2012 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnightFriend
Hi Robert,

As Eric indicated, files edited and saved via external editors don't
automatically trigger the needed change events for RSE to push them back to
the remote end. If you're using an external editor , you may need to
explicitly refresh the containing project for the temporary file (this
RemoteSystemTempFiles project is hidden by default). To do this from the
Project Explorer view, use the view menu to select the Customize View...
action. In the Filters tab of the Available Customizations dialog, uncheck
RSE Internal Projects to show the RemoteSystemTempFiles project. When you
refresh the project, does the change get pushed?

"Robert Lewis" <forums-noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:k9nnj2$19c$1@xxxxxxxxe.org...
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Just an update. Refreshing of the file or folder did not work.
>
> Turning on: Preferences > General > Workspace > Refresh Using Native
> Hooks. did work.
> Thanks for the help.
Re: locally updated image file not updated on remote site [message #991184 is a reply to message #991172] Mon, 17 December 2012 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the feedback David,

I'll have to create a project to test this. I was just doing some quick modifications directly on the remote file system, when I ran into this.
Re: locally updated image file not updated on remote site [message #991197 is a reply to message #991184] Mon, 17 December 2012 16:59 Go to previous message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnightFriend
When using RSE to edit files, a hidden project is created to store cached
files downloaded from the server (this is the RemoteSystemTempFiles
project). To test whether this is the issue, you shouldn't have to create a
new project - just unhide the existing project and try refreshing it.

"Robert Lewis" <forums-noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:kanfup$bse$1@xxxxxxxxe.org...
> Thanks for the feedback David,
>
> I'll have to create a project to test this. I was just doing some quick
> modifications directly on the remote file system, when I ran into this.
Previous Topic:Remote Shell Commands Not Executing
Next Topic:Setting remote launch as default debug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 22 21:06:41 GMT 2024