Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » GDB: No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command.
GDB: No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command. [message #988598] Fri, 30 November 2012 16:08 Go to next message
Eclipse hates me ! is currently offline Eclipse hates me !Friend
When I start debugging I see the following in GDB console:

No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command.
Quit

and none of the breakpoints is getting hit..

The binary I'm debugging certainly has debug info because outside of Eclipse gdb works fine. I've changed nothing in project settings or whatever, it just suddenly stopped working after a couple of runs. Tried restarting Eclipse - didn't help Sad

Is this a bug?

[Updated on: Fri, 30 November 2012 16:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GDB: No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command. [message #988864 is a reply to message #988598] Mon, 03 December 2012 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
The messages clearly indicates that gdb cannot find the symbol table. Either your application has no debug info or you use an external file with the debug symbols and that file was deleted.
Did you use the strip command?

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: GDB: No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command. [message #989755 is a reply to message #988864] Fri, 07 December 2012 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still doesn't work! I have multiple C and C++ projects in the same workspace and none of them can be debugged (even a new project)!

However on another workspace I'm able to run Hello World project and gdb loads symbols for it...

Is there something in workspace specific settings I could screw up?

[Updated on: Fri, 07 December 2012 15:14]

Re: GDB: No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command. [message #989998 is a reply to message #989755] Mon, 10 December 2012 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump

[Updated on: Mon, 10 December 2012 18:56]

Re: GDB: No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command. [message #990158 is a reply to message #989755] Tue, 11 December 2012 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse hates me ! wrote on Fri, 07 December 2012 16:13
Still doesn't work! I have multiple C and C++ projects in the same workspace and none of them can be debugged (even a new project)!

However on another workspace I'm able to run Hello World project and gdb loads symbols for it...

Is there something in workspace specific settings I could screw up?

- Did you choose a Release build configuration?
- Do you use your own Makefile?
- Is the debug option (-g) for gcc enabled?
You should provide more info if you want some help.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: GDB: No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command. [message #990195 is a reply to message #990158] Tue, 11 December 2012 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had to create another workspace and import there my projects. And that worked.

I have no fucking idea why it didn't work for the old workspace. The projects are makefile-based projects, both makefile and project file are generated by CMake. As I said, outside of Eclipse exact same binary was loaded by gdb without any problems and I was able to debug it. Moreover, when I actually typed the "file path/to/executable" command in Eclipses' gdb console like I was told and then typed "continue", it worked as well. So I would guess it's something wrong with the gdb launcher or whatever starts gdb process.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 December 2012 14:15]

Re: GDB: No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command. [message #990410 is a reply to message #990195] Wed, 12 December 2012 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse hates me ! wrote on Tue, 11 December 2012 12:08
I had to create another workspace and import there my projects. And that worked.

I have no fucking idea why it didn't work for the old workspace. The projects are makefile-based projects, both makefile and project file are generated by CMake. As I said, outside of Eclipse exact same binary was loaded by gdb without any problems and I was able to debug it. Moreover, when I actually typed the "file path/to/executable" command in Eclipses' gdb console like I was told and then typed "continue", it worked as well. So I would guess it's something wrong with the gdb launcher or whatever starts gdb process.

Sounds like you used the wrong application/path in the Eclipse Debug Launch Configuration.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: GDB: No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command. [message #990450 is a reply to message #990410] Wed, 12 December 2012 14:37 Go to previous message
No, the path was correct, I double checked. Like I said, I changed nothing, it just stopped working.

Even if it was wrong (which it wasn't) how would you explain the inability to launch a fresh Hello World project?

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2012 14:38]

Previous Topic:C++ Windows - cannot step after breakpoint
Next Topic:Change debug register display to hexadecimal?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:54:07 GMT 2024