Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Difference between org. .. .observable and org. .. .observable.source
Difference between org. .. .observable and org. .. .observable.source [message #986538] Tue, 20 November 2012 20:24 Go to next message
Aljoscha Steffens is currently offline Aljoscha SteffensFriend
Hi,
this is probably a stupid question but i just can't find a answer with google.
I am at the last steps of a RCP tutorial and at this step I have to add the dependency

org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable

to my META.INF. But I can only add org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.source
When I download the example code to the tutorial they have added the "org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable". How comes that I can't find it?
My suggestion is that the .source package is simply more general, but I don't want to rely on this suggestion.
So whats the difference between .source and "normal" packages?

And since I'm already here: Can you tell me when I have to add dependencies to my product file and when they belong into the META-INF? What es the difference?

Thank you!
Re: Difference between org. .. .observable and org. .. .observable.source [message #986542 is a reply to message #986538] Tue, 20 November 2012 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
The .source one holds the Java-Source-Files whereas the one without
..source holds the .class-Files.

Tom

Am 20.11.12 21:24, schrieb Aljoscha Steffens:
> Hi,
> this is probably a stupid question but i just can't find a answer with
> google.
> I am at the last steps of a RCP tutorial and at this step I have to add
> the dependency
> org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable
>
> to my META.INF. But I can only add
> org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.source
> When I download the example code to the tutorial they have added the
> "org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable". How comes that I can't find it?
> My suggestion is that the .source package is simply more general, but I
> don't want to rely on this suggestion.
> So whats the difference between .source and "normal" packages?
>
>
> And since I'm already here: Can you tell me when I have to add
> dependencies to my product file and when they belong into the META-INF?
> What es the difference?
> Thank you!
Re: Difference between org. .. .observable and org. .. .observable.source [message #986546 is a reply to message #986538] Tue, 20 November 2012 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Langanke is currently offline Frank LangankeFriend
Have a look in the /plugins directory of your eclipse installation. You should find two jars like these:

• org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.source_1.4.1.v20120521-2329.jar
  • org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable_1.4.1.v20120521-2329.jar

As Thomas said the first one just contains the java-sources and is optional, while you need the second one at compile and runtime.
Re: Difference between org. .. .observable and org. .. .observable.source [message #986547 is a reply to message #986538] Tue, 20 November 2012 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
--- removed double post ---

[Updated on: Tue, 20 November 2012 21:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Difference between org. .. .observable and org. .. .observable.source [message #986797 is a reply to message #986547] Wed, 21 November 2012 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aljoscha Steffens is currently offline Aljoscha SteffensFriend
Hm okay, thank you.
I found the file in my directory but why don't I have access to it? when I type "org.eclipse.core.dat" I can just choose the source file
Re: Difference between org. .. .observable and org. .. .observable.source [message #986861 is a reply to message #986797] Thu, 22 November 2012 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aljoscha Steffens wrote on Wed, 21 November 2012 11:27
Hm okay, thank you.
I found the file in my directory but why don't I have access to it? when I type "org.eclipse.core.dat" I can just choose the source file

Please post your MANIFEST.MF. Maybe 'org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable' is already included? Did you customize your target definition?
Re: Difference between org. .. .observable and org. .. .observable.source [message #986868 is a reply to message #986861] Thu, 22 November 2012 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Hi,

I checked your statement and I can also not include org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable. This is because I have the dependency to org.eclipse.core.databinding included, which itself has a depencency to the observable plugin. So you don't have to add it manually again, as it is already included transitively. Have a look at your product configuration. In the dependencies section you should find the observable plugin.

If you want to check which bundles are loaded and active you can check this via the OSGi console in Eclipse. Just open it from the console view in Eclipse and check like described here
http://www.vogella.com/articles/OSGi/article.html#osgiconsole_commands
Re: Difference between org. .. .observable and org. .. .observable.source [message #986918 is a reply to message #986868] Thu, 22 November 2012 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Am 22.11.12 08:57, schrieb Dirk Fauth:
> Hi,
>
> I checked your statement and I can also not include
> org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable. This is because I have the
> dependency to org.eclipse.core.databinding included, which itself has a
> depencency to the observable plugin. So you don't have to add it

The dependency is not the important fact but that core.databinding
reexports the obserable one.

Tom
Re: Difference between org. .. .observable and org. .. .observable.source [message #986920 is a reply to message #986918] Thu, 22 November 2012 11:25 Go to previous message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Thomas Schindl wrote on Thu, 22 November 2012 12:18

The dependency is not the important fact but that core.databinding
reexports the obserable one.

Tom

Thanks for pointing to this. I just missed the little grey arrow in the manifest editor. Smile
Previous Topic:How to pass Keyboard Events to the MPart?
Next Topic:Creation of IEclipseContext
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:19:05 GMT 2024