Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » large project vs several small projects
large project vs several small projects [message #986469] Tue, 20 November 2012 14:59 Go to next message
Vlad Dumitrescu is currently offline Vlad DumitrescuFriend
Hi!

I have been testing the time to build a large project vs several small projects that amount to exactly the same code base. Only top-level constructs are indexed.

jvm memory: 1.2GB (is needed, with only 1G the times are 1.5x longer due to GC)
number of files: 1662
one big project: 9 minutes
~50 smaller projects: 6 minutes

I think the difference is significant and it asks for a question: is there any difference between the resulting index databases? If not, why does one of them go so much faster? With smaller projects, there is also less memory used.

I just realized that the small projects aren't referring to each other, could that make any difference? I'll test it, but tomorrow.

best regards,
Vlad
Re: large project vs several small projects [message #986473 is a reply to message #986469] Tue, 20 November 2012 15:19 Go to previous message
Vlad Dumitrescu is currently offline Vlad DumitrescuFriend
Ok, I couldn't go home before trying out the many projects with dependencies enabled Smile

The result is that the time is the same as for the big project. The question remains: what is lost from the index compared with the case of independent projects?

best regards,
Vlad
Previous Topic:Xtext + FormEditor
Next Topic:I can do this on my grammar?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Nov 23 11:05:06 GMT 2014