Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » Basic Questions
Basic Questions [message #976115] Thu, 08 November 2012 10:23 Go to next message
Matthias N is currently offline Matthias NFriend
Hi,

I am relatively new to Graphiti and before I start, I wanted to know if the things I am planning to do are feasible.

(Currently I use the GMF generative approach, but I am not satisfied)

What I want to do with Graphiti:

a)
I want to draw some elements on the diagram and when I click on a certain type of element, another diagram editor shall be opened, where I can model more details / the internals of this certain element.

b)
When another tool has created an instance of my domain model, I wan't to import the model and get a visual representation of it. Then I can modify some of the content and finally can use it in my previous tool as well.

c)
I want to have several types of diagram editors, each specifying a different view of the domain model.

Btw, the most severe drawback I have with GMF is, that I have a domain model which I am not allowed to change. So, in a lot of cases the generic approach doesn't work as expected because of missing containment references ... I hope this will be better with Graphiti ?!

Thanks a lot
Matthias
Re: Basic Questions [message #976332 is a reply to message #976115] Thu, 08 November 2012 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Graf is currently offline Andreas GrafFriend
Hi Matthias,

you can do all that Smile

Andreas
Re: Basic Questions [message #986300 is a reply to message #976115] Mon, 19 November 2012 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias N is currently offline Matthias NFriend
Hi Andreas,

thanks for you answer, sounds pretty cool.

I am curious and ask the other way round:
What are things I can't do with Graphiti ?! For what situations / scenarios is Graphiti not suitable for ?!

Thanks
Re: Basic Questions [message #986735 is a reply to message #986300] Wed, 21 November 2012 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
Well, apparently Graphiti is not really good in cooking coffee and the
like... ;-)

Now, joking aside: Graphiti has been built to enable creating all kinds of
graphical editors within Eclipse. What you described in your first post
should be well inside this all kinds; in case you stumble over a scenario
that is not that well supported, please let us know so we can improve the
framework.

Michael
Re: Basic Questions [message #986850 is a reply to message #986735] Thu, 22 November 2012 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aljoscha Hark is currently offline Aljoscha HarkFriend
The coffee thing is very annoying.

In advance, I would notice that you probably will have to create your own "compartment framework" during the step from GMF towards Graphiti. If you have something like this (e.g. EOperations of an EClass in the ECoreTools-Editor).

That means: there is nothing like the GMF analogy 'compartments' inside Graphiti. This means you would have to implement such thing by yourself. Jeeeyul Lee has exposed the source code for such a situation under [1].

Otherwise, I think when used correctly, Graphiti can provide you with a better, more modern graphical editor than you can achieve with GMF Smile

[1] https://github.com/jeeeyul/graphiti-overview
Re: Basic Questions [message #986902 is a reply to message #986300] Thu, 22 November 2012 10:33 Go to previous message
Andreas Graf is currently offline Andreas GrafFriend
Hi Matthias,

as Aljoscha pointed out, there is no built-in concepts of compartments.
I think it boils down to different kinds of problems:

* No out-of-the-box support, but can be built on top (compartments, ports, , automatic zooming, etc.) (i.e. no need to modify Graphiti code).
* Not supported, but can be added in the Graphiti code: New types of decorators
* Deeper in the architecture and thus high effort: Animation

Best Regards,

Andreas

[Updated on: Thu, 22 November 2012 10:33]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:AddGraphicalRepresentation doesn't carry properties
Next Topic:No Layout Manager Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 21:11:01 GMT 2024