Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Importing Non-Eclipse Based Project
Importing Non-Eclipse Based Project [message #969205] Sat, 03 November 2012 03:12 Go to next message
Jon Rosen is currently offline Jon RosenFriend
So, I forked a github project and would like to try working on it in Eclipse and EGit. The problem is that the project wasn't originally developed on Eclipse, so none of the Eclipse makefile or build information is present. Is there a way to force a generation of the makefiles so I can build or is there a better way to import the project with a pre-made project or something?
Re: Importing Non-Eclipse Based Project [message #971969 is a reply to message #969205] Mon, 05 November 2012 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
How is the github project build? Are there any existing Makefiles? Then you can directly use (Eclipse Makefile project).

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Importing Non-Eclipse Based Project [message #972999 is a reply to message #971969] Tue, 06 November 2012 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It uses cmake. If I use the project's makefile, however, I imagine Eclipse wouldn't be able to add new files to the project automatically? (ie: I'd have to put them in manually). Would this be just creating a 'makefile project' and importing the github project into it?
Re: Importing Non-Eclipse Based Project [message #973333 is a reply to message #972999] Tue, 06 November 2012 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Quote:
Would this be just creating a 'makefile project' and importing the github project into it?

There is an option to "Import existing Makefile project". You can this.
If you want to change the build process you must adapt the cmake file CMakeLists.txt and the recreate the Makefile.

But there is also a cmake option to create an Eclipse project directly. Google for "cmake eclipse"

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Importing Non-Eclipse Based Project [message #974377 is a reply to message #973333] Wed, 07 November 2012 02:57 Go to previous message
Thanks for the kick in the right direction. What I ended up doing was File->New->Other. Selecting: C++->Makefile Project with Existing Code and completing the dialog (I had to select the git information already downloaded). The problem now was that Eclipse was trying to build traditional makefile projects, but I came across this wiki (per your suggestion to do a google search) and went with option 1: it worked like a charm. Thanks! This was all very helpful!
Previous Topic:CDT Juno 4.2.1 needed for PPC64
Next Topic:pkgconfig path with autotools
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:20:22 GMT 2024