Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Console showing old exceptions
Eclipse Console showing old exceptions [message #963572] Mon, 29 October 2012 23:01 Go to next message
Daniel Stevenson is currently offline Daniel StevensonFriend
Hi There,

My eclipse console has been showing me all the old exceptions and errors which have long long been resolved.

This happens every time I run my application, and the console fills up with the above.. and it is getting to the point where it is getting ridiculously long, and also slowing down the start up time of the application when I run it.

I have searched through all the log files and such in my application and it's not coming from there.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Daniel
Re: Eclipse Console showing old exceptions [message #963850 is a reply to message #963572] Tue, 30 October 2012 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Daniel,

Your really mean the console and not the Error Log (which you can
clear). The console has a clear button as well. If you still see
exceptions they're likely real ones. Set an exception breakpoint (in
the debug perspective's breakpoints view) to see where they come from.

On 30/10/2012 3:51 AM, Daniel Stevenson wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> My eclipse console has been showing me all the old exceptions and
> errors which have long long been resolved.
>
> This happens every time I run my application, and the console fills up
> with the above.. and it is getting to the point where it is getting
> ridiculously long, and also slowing down the start up time of the
> application when I run it.
>
> I have searched through all the log files and such in my application
> and it's not coming from there.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Console showing old exceptions [message #964943 is a reply to message #963850] Tue, 30 October 2012 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, if I clear the console, the next time I run the application, they all appear again.

It is really odd. They certainly are not current exceptions, as they have been resolved.

It is like it is remembering every exception is has ever hit, and then each time I run the application it prints this list out in the console, appending the current one on to the end of the list (if there was an exception of course). So with it appending the exceptions, the list is getting rather long..

for example, if i have a NullPointerException, that i didn't resolve, but ran and stopped my application 5 times, in the console, after the 5th time, before the application runs, it would print out:

java.lang.NullPointerException

adding another one everytime i run the application without fixing the problem... as soon as i fix the problem, it will stop appending it to the end, but will still print out the above... then say i had an SQL Exception it would append that to the end, as:

java.sql.SQLException

so, you see this list is growing and growing, and added to everytime i run the application when it has an exception, but is printed out to the console every time. All the listed exceptions have been resolved, they are definitely not current exceptions... just a list of old ones that is being appended to that gets printed to the console everytime i run the application Sad

the only affect it seems to be having is that it makes the startup time for the application slow as it prints this list out everytime before it runs.. and also the console scrollbar is getting smaller by the day as this list grows!

I have googled my A** off and haven't found anyone with this issue happening Sad

Cheers,
Daniel

[Updated on: Tue, 30 October 2012 22:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Console showing old exceptions [message #965066 is a reply to message #964943] Wed, 31 October 2012 01:12 Go to previous message
Hi There,

I have just figured out what is happening.. I have a custom log file that was created by another team member some time ago, that logs many actions in the application, including exceptions. A custom log viewer was then built later which is initialised when the application is started, and by error, this was printing out to the console the exceptions that had been logged, but thankfully not the entire logs.

Our mistake.

Thanks anyways!!! Smile

Daniel
Previous Topic:After "Check for updates" Eclipse fails to load
Next Topic:Plugin to visualize class hierachy and dependencies.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:22:56 GMT 2024