Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » EGF status?
EGF status? [message #953060] Mon, 22 October 2012 01:18 Go to next message
Mike Haney is currently offline Mike HaneyFriend
I've been looking at/playing with egf for awhile now, and I have to say it looks like one of the coolest technologies to come out of the modeling project in awhile (right behind Xtext, which IMHO is one of the coolest projects ever). I can think of tons of exciting possibilities for EGF, even beyond its stated goal of software factories.

Yet I come onto the forums and search for more info, expecting to see some buzz about this project, and I find exactly 0 posts on the topic, other than official announcements. Honestly, that scares me, as there seems to be no community interest or involvement in the project. Is the project dead, or has it just gone unnoticed so far by the bulk of the Eclipse Modeling community? Or is there another place I should look where the EGF community hangs out?

I have some ideas/projects I want to work on for which EGF would be a great fit, but I can't afford to invest my time in a dead project. OTOH, if the project is still alive and well, then I very well may jump in and contribute. But I would really like to hear from the Thales guys about the status of the project, their commitment to it, and how much, if any, community involvement there has been.

Re: EGF status? [message #959367 is a reply to message #953060] Fri, 26 October 2012 17:08 Go to previous message
Benoit Langlois is currently offline Benoit LangloisFriend
Hi Mike,

EGF graduated in June, moved from EMFT to EMF and has its own forum now: www.eclipse.org/forums/eclipse.egf
I posted in the EGF forum, but I copy the answer here. www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/416302/959360/#msg_959360
It's better to react in the EGF forum.

Benoît

----------------
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your positive feedback. EGF was born from operational needs, in operational conditions, and be sure that it won't disappear tomorrow.
EGF is in the Kepler release train.

As you mentioned, EGF has a real potential. Among others, here are some examples of evolutions:
- Tasks: Supporting other languages than Java, Ant, JRuby, Jython - it's easy as long as it is a JVM-compatible language
- Tasks: supporting other tools than Acceleo, or ATL for instance
- Tasks: creating reccurrent activies for domains of interest, such as file management - topics are numerous!
- Patterns: supporting other languages than Java and Jet
- Patterns: other navigation strategies over resources can be implemented than those available
- The "Enhanced EMF Generation Portfolio" and the "Build Porfolio" are two operational examples of factory portfolio (wiki.eclipse.org/EGF/Portfolio). It would be welcome to have new ones!
- We will regurlary continue to improve the "Enhanced EMF Generation" (vimeo.com/29472598), for instance we will add the CDO feature

Contributions are welcome.

Benoît
Previous Topic:Edit - ignore this post [Texo] Trying to get the Rest Web Service going
Next Topic:[EMF TENEO] Placing and naming external xml mapping file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:54:10 GMT 2024