Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » PlatformUI.getWorkbench().getHelpSystem().isContextHelpDisplayed() always return false(isContextHelpDisplayed() doesn't behave as its API description. Even though the context sensitive help is open, it returns false.)
PlatformUI.getWorkbench().getHelpSystem().isContextHelpDisplayed() always return false [message #948085] Wed, 17 October 2012 18:47 Go to next message
Cory Huang is currently offline Cory HuangFriend
Hi guys,

I was trying to use IWorkbenchHelpSystem.isContextHelpDisplayed() (http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fapi%2Forg%2Feclipse%2Fui%2Fhelp%2FIWorkbenchHelpSystem.html) to check if the context sensitive help is open alreay or not. However, I came across a problem that this method doesn't work properly as its description "Returns whether the context-sensitive help window is currently being displayed."

Basically, the problem is: when the context sensitive help is shown, this method also returns false. I looked into the source code, and here is my findings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem 1:
First, the entry of the isContextHelpDisplay() method.
WorkbenchHelpSystem.java
public boolean isContextHelpDisplayed() {
if (!isInitialized) {
return false;
}
AbstractHelpUI helpUI = getHelpUI();
return helpUI != null && helpUI.isContextHelpDisplayed();
}

When isInitialized = true and helpUI != null, we goes into DefaultHelpUI.isContextHelpDisplayed()
/**
* Returns <code>true</code> if the context-sensitive help window is currently being
* displayed, <code>false</code> if not.
*/
if (f1Dialog == null) {
return false;
}
return f1Dialog.isShowing();
}

However, f1Dialog = null, even though I have already pressed F1 and the Help view is shown out there. Then, I checked the code where f1Dialog is created, it is in the function

private void displayContextAsInfopop(IContext context, int x, int y, IWorkbenchPart activePart, Control c){
else {
f1Dialog = new ContextHelpDialog(context, x, y);
f1Dialog.open();
}
}

which is only called in

void displayContext(IContext context, int x, int y, boolean noInfopop) {
if (!noInfopop && winfopop) {
IWorkbenchPart activePart = page.getActivePart();
Control c = window.getShell().getDisplay().getFocusControl();
displayContextAsInfopop(context, x, y, activePart, c);
return;
}
}

It seems that we need to have winfopop=true to get f1Dialog created. I guess that's why no matter how I press F1 to open the Help view, f1Dialog is still null. I am not sure if my understanding here is correct. If it is correct, why we need winfopop if the Help view is already open?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem 2: when Help is open at startup, it seems something should be initialized as true while it is false. Please see below:
WorkbenchHelpSystem.java
if (!isInitialized) {
return false; // here return false
}
AbstractHelpUI helpUI = getHelpUI();
return helpUI != null && helpUI.isContextHelpDisplayed();
}

isInitialized is only evaluated in the getHelpUI() as below:
private AbstractHelpUI getHelpUI() {
if (!isInitialized) {
isInitialized = initializePluggableHelpUI();
if (!isInitialized)
WorkbenchPlugin.log("Unable to instantiate help UI");//$NON-NLS-1$

}
return pluggableHelpUI;
}

I don't know why isInitialized is supposed to not to be initialized as true if the Help view is open at startup. This is not a problem if I reopen the Help view by hand (aka press F1).

For those people who have the same problems of using PlatformUI.getWorkbench().getHelpSystem().isContextHelpDisplayed(), I found a workaround here http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/720403/. So, my code which checks if the Help view is shown or not is:
IWorkbenchPage activePage = PlatformUI.getWorkbench().getActiveWorkbenchWindow().getActivePage();
IViewPart helpView = activePage.findView("org.eclipse.help.ui.HelpView");
if (helpView == null) {
return;
}

But I still want to know why isContextHelpDisplayed() doesn't behave properly (or my understanding is incorrect). Thank you all guys for viewing my post and I really appreciate if someone can come up and help me with this. Razz

Cory
Re: PlatformUI.getWorkbench().getHelpSystem().isContextHelpDisplayed() always return false [message #1058904 is a reply to message #948085] Wed, 15 May 2013 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony burton is currently offline tony burtonFriend
Hi there,
I have the same problem (Indigo). Did you find a solution? The work around you posted doesn't seem to work for me,

Thanks

Antony
Re: PlatformUI.getWorkbench().getHelpSystem().isContextHelpDisplayed() always return false [message #1058918 is a reply to message #1058904] Wed, 15 May 2013 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cory Huang is currently offline Cory HuangFriend
The workaround works for me, it checks whether the Help view is open or not.

What do you mean it doesn't work for you?
Re: PlatformUI.getWorkbench().getHelpSystem().isContextHelpDisplayed() always return false [message #1059201 is a reply to message #1058918] Fri, 17 May 2013 09:16 Go to previous message
tony burton is currently offline tony burtonFriend
Yes, in fact, the help I'm talking about is the help that appears in a tray on the right of the new c project wizard when the "?" button or F1 is pressed, not the help view. I found another workaround, which is to test if the tray is open or not:

IWorkbenchHelpSystem helpSystem = PlatformUI.getWorkbench().getHelpSystem();

// test if help tray is open
Display display = Display.getCurrent();

Shell activeShell = display.getActiveShell();
TrayDialog dialog = (TrayDialog)activeShell.getData();

DialogTray tray = dialog.getTray();

if (tray != null) {
   helpSystem.displayHelp(contextID);
}

regards,

Antony
Previous Topic:RCP app with Worldwind - Globe vanishes