|Support required in Submodules in EGIT [message #946564]
||Tue, 16 October 2012 05:45
| Annamalai Chockalingam
Registered: July 2009
I have been playing around with EGIT for a while now and trying to figure out how SubModules are working inside EGIT.|
Did realise that SubModule support is quiet naïve at the moment inside EGIT, I assume that's coz JAVA Projects do not need SubModule support.
When I make any changes in SubModule inside a Project, StagingView doesn't react, as it is treated by StagingView as a Resource inside a Project.
I did try to better understand this code. I have attempted to but my understanding in the best possible way to make you realise where I stand with EGIT Submodules.
Was wondering if you could give me any sort of support or direction on how to move further. Also would be happy to get a feedback from you on my understanding of StagingView as documented below and also if the approach is right.
My Understanding of StagingView
- On StagingView -> reactToSelection is invokved. This validates if the selection is coming from Repository View or from Project Explorer.
- On Validation, finds the Project Repository by calling getRepository and tries to load the same.
- When I select a SubModule, get Project Repository still returns Parent instead of returning the SubModule Repository.
- Therefore I introduced a SubModule Walk and did a Resource Validation,
- If found that selected Node belongs to a SubModule, I fetch the Repository from submodule walk and try to load the same.
- During the attempt to load the submodule, isValidRepository was failing.
- Therefore debugged further and realised that Submodule is missing in the ConfiguredRepository Map, included a piece of code to make it valid.
- Doing this, atleast whenever I select a Submodule inside a Project, I was able to load the Submodule Repo and Staging View shows the selected SubModule Title.
- But the UnstagedViewer and StagedViewer were still not working and showing all the resources as Untracked and Missing.
- On debugging further realised that Jgit needed some update. Until now I didn't change anything in Jgit.
- During TreeWalk, Working Directory for this Submodule Repo was missing or not configured properly.
- Therefore failing and marking the resources as Untracked and Missing.
- I changed a bit of the code inside TreeWalk and StagedViewer and UnstagedViewer also started working for Files inside submodule
- Now I am stuck with Folders, if my Submodule has Folders then the whole eGIT gets into Re-Indexing errors. I realised the problem is in getPath.
Looking forward to your reply.
|Re: Support required in Submodules in EGIT [message #962746 is a reply to message #946564]
||Mon, 29 October 2012 05:47
| Olivier CARRERE
Registered: October 2012
Just pinging here as we are being hampered by that problem you describe.|
EGit (and I guess JGit) doesn't seem to track the state of submodules, meaning we can't handle the state of submodules within the base git module. That means we have to resort to tricks like:
- using the command line directly (meaning losing mylyn, among other things)
- clone the submodules independently (as main modules), and setting them as remotes of said submodules. That way we still can use all of eclipse facilities, but we still have to do some command line git'ing to link everything together...
Unfortunately I have neither the expertise nor time to look into it, so your efforts would be truly appreciated if you ever managed to go through it.
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.12423 seconds