Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » EGit could not detect where Git is installed
EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #935935] Sun, 07 October 2012 13:37 Go to next message
Pothik Babu is currently offline Pothik BabuFriend
Hello,

I just installed Eclipse Juno, and when I first try to start a new Java project, it pops out two messages. Can anyone help me please? Thanks a lot. (BTB I saw same posting but could not get the solution out of it, anybody saw and can help me for the same. If somthing need to be installed how can I do ...)

The first one- EGit could not detect where Git is installed

EGit does not require Git to function, but there may be important settings in the installation directory that EGit needs to know about in order

to be compatible with Git. The most important of these settings is core.autocrlf. Git for Windows by default sets this parameter to true in the

etc director of the Git installation. The directory can be configured in Preferences under Team > Git.

The second-
Check Home Directory C:\Users\"my name"

the environment variable HOME is not set. The following directory will be used for storing the Git user configuration and as default repository location: C:\Users\"my name". If this is not correct please set the HOME environment variable and restart Eclipse

Thanks in advance.
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #936976 is a reply to message #935935] Mon, 08 October 2012 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Judy Luo is currently offline Judy LuoFriend
I found this. I hope it will help

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #937001 is a reply to message #935935] Mon, 08 October 2012 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Judy Luo is currently offline Judy LuoFriend
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1090186 is a reply to message #935935] Mon, 19 August 2013 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcela mejia is currently offline marcela mejiaFriend
i'm having the same issue how were u able to over come this .
thank you
i'm installing it on windows vista 32 bit
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1098627 is a reply to message #935935] Sat, 31 August 2013 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yann Weyland is currently offline Yann WeylandFriend
Hello

I found information somewhere else concerning the home variable. I specify that I have Juno service release 1 installed on a win7 64bits service pack 1 (german version, so sorry about the fact that I don't know the exact corresponding names in other languages).

• Open the control panel (with display of every element).
  • Then click on System.
  • On the left part of the window that poped up, you should find something like "extended system settings", click on it.
  • On the popup "system property", check the tab "extended" and on the bottom of it, it should be a button "environment variables". Click it.
  • To finish, on this last new window, click the new button and write as name HOME and as value %USERPROFILE%
    After validation, it should automatically display something else for the variable content (at least by me it's so). In my
    I added the home variable on the upper part (user's variables, not in the system variable) and now I get any message about it any longer at the end of eclipse start.

Source:
stackoverflow.com/questions/8591092/changing-home-environment-variable-in-eclipse
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Setting_up_the_Home_Directory_on_Windows

[Updated on: Sun, 01 September 2013 13:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1786968 is a reply to message #1098627] Wed, 16 May 2018 16:04 Go to previous message
Charles Herrick is currently offline Charles HerrickFriend
Yann Weyland's tip fixes the 2nd pop up but does not stop the first pop up.

--
Charles Herrick
[e:] charles.n.herrick@gmail.com
[m:] (512) 289-0926
Previous Topic:fetchResult not working for Jgit (4.9.2.201712150930-r)
Next Topic:How to create a new repo using jGit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:27:56 GMT 2024