Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit » JGit/EGit now supports gc?
JGit/EGit now supports gc? [message #934072] Fri, 05 October 2012 12:21 Go to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R Shapiro
Today I noticed an operation I hadn't seen before on the right-click menu of entries in the Git Repositories view: Collect Garbage.

I take it this is the JGit equivalent of 'git gc'? That's certainly handy. Does it also prune?

Re: JGit/EGit now supports gc? [message #934328 is a reply to message #934072] Fri, 05 October 2012 17:40 Go to previous message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian Halstrick
That's right, that's really "git gc". It's the first version of it in JGit. Not all the semantics of git gc are there. But currently it does a pack-refs, repack and prune. Specifically for prune JGit also has learned to understand config param gc.pruneExpire. Since it is the first version of GC in JGit and since it is a potentially dangerous operation we are not advertizing it heavily to EGit users. We want to get more experiences with it before we put it to a more prominent place or support automatic garbage collection.
And yes, there are also missing features: we don't do reflog_expire and rerere_gc currently. We are also not moving objects from packfiles to the object directory when they get unreferenced. But the basic functionality is working.

Ciao
Chris
Previous Topic:Data transfer without file system
Next Topic:Staging and explorer view wrongly show files as changed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 19 05:55:44 EDT 2014