Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404(Having problems configuring a VTS repository host)
Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404 [message #930770] Tue, 02 October 2012 16:23 Go to next message
Kevin Beasley is currently offline Kevin BeasleyFriend
Right off, let me say that I _know_ that this is supposed to work. I have gone through the user documentation many times trying to see where the issue is. I have searched this forum and read every post about repositories that I can find.

There is obviously something that I am missing, but I just cannot see it. Please help!

Steps to recreate:

1. Fresh install VTS 3.5.0 on linux machine.
2. edit configuration/org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository.properties to contain the following 2 lines:

hosted-repository.type=external
hosted-repository.searchPattern=/home/devtools/hosted-virgo-repository/*

3. Create directory /home/devtools/hosted-virgo-repository
4. Copy a bundle to /home/devtools/hosted-virgo-repository. This bundle, if found by a VTS client, will fulfill a dependency requirement for a bundle that will be deployed on the client.
5. Start the VTS server on the linux machine. No errors in the logs, everything looks green from here.

6. Fresh install of VTS 3.5.0 on Windows 7 machine. This is the repository client.
7. edit configuration/org.eclipse.virgo.repository.properties. Add a remote repository pointing to the VTS repo server, and up date the chain to reference it. The actual hostname of the repo server resolves via DNS.

hosted-repo.type=remote
hosted-repo.uri=http://repohost:8080/org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository/hosted-repository

chain=ext,usr,hosted-repo

8. Start the VTS on the Windows 7 machine.
9. The client sends a request to the repo server, gets a 404 back.
10. Fail.

If there is any information I can provide, please let me know.

Regards,

Kevin
Re: Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404 [message #931523 is a reply to message #930770] Wed, 03 October 2012 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Hi Kevin

Because you've clearly done your best to get this working, I was intrigued and tried to set it up myself. It's a while since I tested remote repository function and, unfortunately, it's one of the areas where we don't have an automated regression test of the end to end function.

So far, I have similarly failed to get it working on VTS 3.5.0 or VTS 3.0.3. Unless I'm making a stupid mistake, I think you've found a bug - feel free to raise a bugzilla if I haven't already done so (and posted to this thread) by the time you read this.

Meanwhile, I'm going back to VTS 2.1.x to see when it last worked the way I expect it to.

Regards,
Glyn

[Updated on: Wed, 03 October 2012 10:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404 [message #931551 is a reply to message #930770] Wed, 03 October 2012 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-SchwartzFriend
Hi Kevin.

I am running a system of the type you are putting together. Unfortunately I am currently stuck at VTS version 3.0.0.RELEASE for corporate reasons (won't probably update for a few more months, and then it will be to VTS 3.6.x).

However I noticed that your linux server config file configuration/org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository.properties is different from mine in this line:
hosted-repository.searchPattern=/home/devtools/hosted-virgo-repository/*

In my case, I have:
hosted-repository.searchPattern=repository.ext/{artifact}

i.e. a relative path instead of your absolute one.

I am not sure if this is the cause of your issue or a change in VTS post release 3.0.0, but I guess worth a try to see if it fixes your problem.

HTH,
B.
Re: Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404 [message #931563 is a reply to message #931551] Wed, 03 October 2012 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also notice that my config file is in a slightly different directory (config/org.eclipse.virgo.repository.properties), but that is probably just a reorganisation of things in VTS 3.5.0 -- I have tried Virgo Kernel 3.5.0 on the client side and the changed location of properties files did not affect functionality at all)

B.
Re: Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404 [message #931566 is a reply to message #931551] Wed, 03 October 2012 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Barbara!

I've got it working on Virgo Web Server 2.1.1 (the old name for VTS), with either a relative path for hosted-repository.searchPattern or an absolute path. Am now trying to figure out why this doesn't work on 3.x.
Re: Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404 [message #931602 is a reply to message #931566] Wed, 03 October 2012 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn, are you saying it does not work on VTS 3.5.0 even with the relative path?
Re: Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404 [message #931626 is a reply to message #931566] Wed, 03 October 2012 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem solved. I raised bug 391000 to cover this - see the bug description for a workaround.
Re: Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404 [message #931729 is a reply to message #931626] Wed, 03 October 2012 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent (and good to know), thank you very much, Glynn.
Re: Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404 [message #931839 is a reply to message #931729] Wed, 03 October 2012 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Beasley is currently offline Kevin BeasleyFriend
Glyn,

Thanks so much for looking into this and tracking down the issue so quickly! Your solution works as advertised. The VTS repository host now responds correctly when the client connects and requests the repository information.

However, there seems to be another problem.

The VTS repository host has a bundle, "Bundle2", in the location that it is serving from. When the client makes the request to get the index from the VTS host, the index lists Bundle2 correctly. I have a second bundle, "Bundle1", which has a dependency on Bundle2. When I deploy Bundle1 into the pickup directory on the VTS client, the installation of Bundle1 fails with an o.e.v.k.o.framework.UnableToSatisfyBundleDependenciesException. The exception indicates "Unsatisfied leaf constraint on Bundle2".

The thing that I don't see when I try to deploy Bundle1 is a request from the VTS client for the contents of Bundle2 from the VTS host. In fact, I never see that request happen. I am watching the connection with tcpdump, fwiw.

What I do see is an UnknownHostException being thrown when the client attempts to download Bundle2 from the repository host. The hostname that it attempts to contact is localhost.localdomain, which is clearly wrong since the VTS host is running on a machine with a FQDN. This exception does not show up on the console, but it does get written to serviceability/logs/log.log

The only reference I can find to localhost.localdomain is in a file in work/ that looks like the contents of the repository server response when the client polls for the index.

Looking at the work/cache directory on the VTS client, I can see that the folder structure for Bundle2 has been created, but none of the bundle contents are there. The folder structure gets created when I attempt to deploy Bundle1 on the client.

Sorry for the over long and rambling post. I try to be as thorough as I can. Please let me know if there is any other information I can gather for you.

Regards,

Kevin
Re: Virgo Tomcat Server 3.5.0 repository host returns 404 [message #940374 is a reply to message #931839] Thu, 11 October 2012 15:20 Go to previous message
See this forum thread for a possible workaround. Does that help? You may like to raise a bug too given that you've already created a decent write-up.
Previous Topic:Spring contexts and aspectj weaver
Next Topic:Bundlor: No value found for placeholder 'xy'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:32:10 GMT 2024