Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » CDT not working after update(CDT no longer working in Eclipse Platf.orm 3.7.2 using Ubuntu 12.04 after installing updates through 'Search for Updates')
CDT not working after update [message #925556] Thu, 27 September 2012 20:57 Go to next message
Xander Nedergaard is currently offline Xander NedergaardFriend
After installing a multitude of updates using the 'Help->Search for Updates
menu, CDT is no longer working in Eclipse. When I create a new project, the only options are 'General>Project' and 'CVS>Projects from CVS', and similarly, there are no options for file extensions when I make a new file. If I try to make a file with an extension such as .cpp manually, it opens it in my external text editor.
I am using Eclipse Platform 3.7.2 in Ubuntu 12.04. I have tried uinstalling and reinstalling Eclipse Platform multiple times, but nothing changes, and I've noticed that the updates stay installed. The CDT worked perfectly prior to installing the updates.
Re: CDT not working after update [message #925598 is a reply to message #925556] Thu, 27 September 2012 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Munson is currently offline Dean MunsonFriend
Having the same problem. Have you found a solution ?
Re: CDT not working after update [message #926042 is a reply to message #925556] Fri, 28 September 2012 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Eclipse Platform does not contain the CDT plugin. You have to install it.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: CDT not working after update [message #926096 is a reply to message #926042] Fri, 28 September 2012 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have installed it already. And I reinstalled it after every reinstall of the Eclipse Platform. As I said, it worked perfectly before the updates. If anything, does anyone know how to uinstall updates installed through the 'Search for updates' feature?

@Dean: Unfortunately not, hoping that this thread will yield some helpful responses, I've searched all over and couldn't find anyone else with the same problem. Are you also using Ubuntu?

[Updated on: Fri, 28 September 2012 09:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CDT not working after update [message #926365 is a reply to message #926096] Fri, 28 September 2012 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Munson is currently offline Dean MunsonFriend
I am also running Ubuntu 12.04 and the same Eclipse version (Indigo). I was finally able to resolve the problem by restarting Eclipse using the -clean argument (sudo eclipse -clean). Hope this helps !
Re: CDT not working after update [message #926412 is a reply to message #926096] Fri, 28 September 2012 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus km is currently offline Klaus kmFriend
Hello Xander,

probably the Workspace is destroyed.

Try this:
Create a new Workspace and than create the C or C++ Hello World example to test the installation.
If Eclipse does not ask for a workspace because you have selected "Use this workspace as the default and do not ask again" than delete the setting file within your Eclipse installation and after you have done that start Eclipse again:
\configuration\.settings\org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs

If this is OK, create a new C/C++ project within a new workspace and than copy your source files from the old workspace (from the hard disk) into the new workspace. You could use the drag and drop feature of Eclipse (you could drag and drop files and folders from the hard disk directly into the "Project Explorer" within Eclipse).

regards,
Klaus

Re: CDT not working after update [message #926479 is a reply to message #926412] Fri, 28 September 2012 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not quite sure which of them did the trick, as I think I tried the -clean method before too, but after creating a new Workspace (I had selected the 'do not ask again' option) and running the 'sudo eclipse -clean' command, it is working again. Thanks a lot everyone!
Re: CDT not working after update [message #928519 is a reply to message #925556] Sun, 30 September 2012 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Owen is currently offline Charles OwenFriend
I'm having a similar problem except even a new workspace does not work. In the old workspace the toolbar does not appear anymore. In the new workspace I created, you can't create a C/C++ project. I tried to download the CDT, but it says it is already installed.

Re: CDT not working after update [message #928536 is a reply to message #928519] Sun, 30 September 2012 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Owen is currently offline Charles OwenFriend
Okay, I got it all working again. I had to remove the CDT completely and reinstall it. After doing so, even old workspaces work just fine. Apparently, the update breaks the CDT installation in some way, but reinstalling fixes it.
Re: CDT not working after update [message #1115557 is a reply to message #928536] Tue, 24 September 2013 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemappa B is currently offline Hemappa BFriend
I also had same issue after update, I tried uninstall and install eclipse and even cdt also but did not help.

later I tried "sudo eclipse -clean" and its working fine, Thanks a lot for the info.
Re: CDT not working after update [message #1386357 is a reply to message #1115557] Tue, 17 June 2014 00:51 Go to previous message
ano nym is currently offline ano nymFriend
I searched my whole machine for any file/directory that included "eclipse" and deleted them all. Reinstalled ecplise and cdt and they both work.

How can I now auto update eclipse without breaking cdt?
Previous Topic:Cross compile 32bit and 64bit
Next Topic:Function Prototype Identifying Issue ??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:36:41 GMT 2024