Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Greenpages app not working from eclipse(app works with manual deploy, not from eclipse)
Greenpages app not working from eclipse [message #924171] Wed, 26 September 2012 15:23 Go to next message
Erik Vande Velde is currently offline Erik Vande VeldeFriend
I'm following the tutorial in www.eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/greenpages-documentation-2.5.0.RELEASE/docs/html/ . After going thru the steps in '2.5 Running GreenPages from Eclipse'. Virgo seems to start up fine (i see a DE0005I Started par 'greenpages' version '2.5.0.RELEASE'), but the url localhost:8080/greenpages tells me that 'The requested resource (/greenpages.) is not available.'. A manual deploy of the mvn-produced par under pickup just works, but it would be nice to get the application working from eclipse too ...
Re: Greenpages app not working from eclipse [message #926092 is a reply to message #924171] Fri, 28 September 2012 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Are you using the released version of the Virgo tooling? If so, can you create a trivial PAR with a single bundle and deploy that? Just a thought...
Re: Greenpages app not working from eclipse [message #933820 is a reply to message #926092] Fri, 05 October 2012 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francisco González is currently offline Francisco GonzálezFriend
I am having the same problem following the tutorial and running greenpages from Eclipse.

I am using Eclipse Virgo IDE Version: 1.0.0.201209050002-RELEASE

This is what I see from Admin Console
index.php/fa/11758/0/

[Updated on: Fri, 05 October 2012 11:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Greenpages app not working from eclipse [message #936752 is a reply to message #924171] Mon, 08 October 2012 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) I am using the current virgo tools obtained from 'the official update site' http://download.eclipse.org/virgo/release/tooling
2) Most people looking for a simple par to deploy under Virgo (newbies like me) will probably revert to the greenpages sample application on the documentation site. If you have a simple one bundle par described somewhere on the internet I will be happy to test it
3) Glyn: could you please confirm that the greenpages work from eclipse for you, and if so, which configuration you use to get them running?
Re: Greenpages app not working from eclipse [message #936784 is a reply to message #936752] Mon, 08 October 2012 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's how to create a sample one bundle PAR:

1. Create a Virgo server in the tooling. I pointed it at VTS 3.5.0.RELEASE.
2. Start the server.
3. In the Project Explorer, right click and create a new Bundle project (listed under Other... and then Virgo). I called it testbundle and took the defaults for everything else.
4. In the Project Explorer, right click and create a new PAR project (listed under Other... and then Virgo). I called it testpar and took the defaults for everything else except that on the 3rd panel of the wizard entitled "Bundle References", I ticked testbundle to add it to the PAR.
5. Drag and drop the PAR project onto the server.
6. Double click on the server and then choose the Server Console tab and enter the command ss to see the bundles in the PAR, which should consist of testbundle and the automatically-generated synthetic context bundle.

That worked fine on the 1.0 release of the Virgo tooling.
Re: Greenpages app not working from eclipse [message #936817 is a reply to message #936784] Mon, 08 October 2012 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I tried following the instructions in the Greenpages 2.5.0 documentation to get Greenpages running under Eclipse, I observed two problems. The first one was that the PAR file did not deploy successfully since the synthetic context bundle seemed to have an import for org.h2.driver which could not be resolved (from the bundles in the PAR). This is weird, since none of the bundles in the PAR export org.h2.driver and so the synthetic context bundle shouldn't need to import it. But that's clearly not the problem above as deployment seems to have been successful there.

But what I also observed was that even though I could create a PAR project containing all four greenpages bundles, the resultant PAR (in the stage directory of VTS) was missing the greenpages.web bundle, which would certainly explain why the browser couldn't find the relevant address.
Re: Greenpages app not working from eclipse [message #936827 is a reply to message #936817] Mon, 08 October 2012 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can however create a test PAR containing a test web bundle and another bundle (testbundle - see above). The test web bundle was created in precisely the same was as testbundle, but I ticked the "Web Application Bundle" option on the Bundle Content panel of the wizard and supplied a Web-ContextPath on the next panel. I created an index.html file (with some content) in the web bundle's WebContent folder. I created a test PAR containing testbundle and the test web bundle and it deployed fine and served the web content.
Re: Greenpages app not working from eclipse [message #936829 is a reply to message #936827] Mon, 08 October 2012 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On that basis, if someone would care to raise a bug against the tooling with steps to reproduce the problem, it would be helpful. It might be worth checking first that the symptoms are the same as those I observed - that the staged PAR file is missing its web bundle.
Re: Greenpages app not working from eclipse [message #937712 is a reply to message #924171] Tue, 09 October 2012 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could reproduce all steps reported by Glyn, with a very similar result: a rather empty stage directory only containing a greenpages.par with manifest file, no other archives to be found. Of course I don't know how this stage-thing is organised, I only see it doesn't work. As suggested I filed a bug for this: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=391394. I didn't have the h2 problem, which might have been fixed recently, and apparently has a bug report of it's own: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=368781.
Re: Greenpages app not working from eclipse [message #1008992 is a reply to message #924171] Thu, 14 February 2013 09:09 Go to previous message
Cene Lavrič is currently offline Cene LavričFriend
The problem "'The requested resource (/greenpages.) is not available" is somehow associated with Dynamic Web Module nature of the bundle Greenpages.web. Remove the this nature following the STEP 12 of my Wordpress blog "greenpagesvirgo.wordpress.com".

The problem with h2 driver loading is resolved by creating another Greenpages bundle enveloping the existing h2 driver jar. Follow my Wordpress blog "greenpagesvirgo.wordpress.com"; particulary STEP 10.
Previous Topic:Greenpages pom.xml Problem
Next Topic:Greenpages Maven Build Failure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:22:56 GMT 2024