Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Filter Combobox List
Filter Combobox List [message #922689] Tue, 25 September 2012 08:34 Go to next message
Stefan M is currently offline Stefan MFriend
Messages: 29
Registered: September 2012
Junior Member
Hi,

We are currently adapting our application to RAP.
We have a custom combobox(dropdown) which supports filtering the list of values as you type and autocompletion.
Currently this is implemented using standard SWT components, so there is a keylistener on the textfield and the listener updates the list according to the given input.
As you can imagine, this shows bad performance in RAP since the keylistener events have to be processed on the server.
I checked out other frameworks like vaadin, there the standard dropdown supports filtering out of the box. demo.vaadin.com/sampler#ComboBoxStartsWith (unfortunately i am not allowed to put here a real link because the forum wont let me Wink)
Is it planned to add this feature to the standard combo (maybe activated through some key in the setData(..) method like with the other non-SWT features)?
It would help us very much since our application has very large combo-lists and otherwise we would have to implement a custom-native widget or wrap a javascript implementation of a combo which supports filtering.

Thanks in advance
Re: Filter Combobox List [message #922863 is a reply to message #922689] Tue, 25 September 2012 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Furnadjiev is currently offline Ivan FurnadjievFriend
Messages: 1872
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Stefan,
Combo widget is not designed to handle huge amount of items. If you need
content filtering the JFace ContentProposalAdapter is the proper way to
go. It uses key events too together with a Text widget modify event, but
it's more optimized for content filtering.
HTH,
Ivan

On 9/25/2012 11:34 AM, Stefan M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are currently adapting our application to RAP.
> We have a custom combobox(dropdown) which supports filtering the list
> of values as you type and autocompletion.
> Currently this is implemented using standard SWT components, so there
> is a keylistener on the textfield and the listener updates the list
> according to the given input.
> As you can imagine, this shows bad performance in RAP since the
> keylistener events have to be processed on the server.
> I checked out other frameworks like vaadin, there the standard
> dropdown supports filtering out of the box.
> demo.vaadin.com/sampler#ComboBoxStartsWith (unfortunately i am not
> allowed to put here a real link because the forum wont let me ;))
> Is it planned to add this feature to the standard combo (maybe
> activated through some key in the setData(..) method like with the
> other non-SWT features)?
> It would help us very much since our application has very large
> combo-lists and otherwise we would have to implement a custom-native
> widget or wrap a javascript implementation of a combo which supports
> filtering.
>
> Thanks in advance

--
Ivan Furnadjiev

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: Filter Combobox List [message #931837 is a reply to message #922863] Wed, 03 October 2012 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan M is currently offline Stefan MFriend
Messages: 29
Registered: September 2012
Junior Member
Thank you for your reply, but this solution does not solve the main problem.
As a combo has a predefiened list of items which normally do not change the whole filtering could occur in the browser.
I was a bit unclear about the number of items, the maximum is around 70.
Filtering the list as you type is a very good thing for usability, and most users dont want miss this feature once the had it. Even on Combos with < 10 items it is good for productivity as most of our entries can be identified after 4 character.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 October 2012 15:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Filter Combobox List [message #931873 is a reply to message #931837] Wed, 03 October 2012 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Furnadjiev is currently offline Ivan FurnadjievFriend
Messages: 1872
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Stefan,
if you press a letter on the keyboard Combo should select the first item
starting with this letter. Nevertheless, please file an enhancement
request for client-side filtering of the combo items.
Thanks,
Ivan


On 10/3/2012 6:16 PM, Stefan M wrote:
> Thank you for your reply, but this solution does not solve the main
> problem.
> As a combo has a predefiened list of items which normally do not
> change the whole filtering could occur in the browser. I was a bit
> unclear about the number of items, the maximum is around 70.
> Filtering the list as you type is a very good thing for the usability,
> and most users dont want miss this feature once the had it. Even on
> Combos with < 10 items it is good for productivity as most of our
> entries can be identified after 4 character.

--
Ivan Furnadjiev

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: Filter Combobox List [message #931894 is a reply to message #931873] Wed, 03 October 2012 16:17 Go to previous message
Stefan M is currently offline Stefan MFriend
Messages: 29
Registered: September 2012
Junior Member
Thank you for your quick reply, i will file an enhancement request.
Previous Topic:IE Job Queue Error with RAP 1.4.2
Next Topic:Set Custom Variant for TableColumn not working.
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Dec 18 07:16:20 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.06308 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software