Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse and Lion - Kinda lost...
Eclipse and Lion - Kinda lost... [message #922186] Mon, 24 September 2012 20:28 Go to next message
Daniel Israel is currently offline Daniel IsraelFriend

I've been developing with Eclipse on my Mac for some time now (about 2 years) with few issues (and the majority of those being user error). A couple days ago, Apple pushed an update to Lion. Shortly after (about 20 minutes) it started the "busy" cursor while I was working in Eclipse. Couldn't switch to another app or anything. I finally had to do a hard reboot. Happened again while working in Eclipse. 4 times in a row this happened (using Eclipse). I haven't used Eclipse in 2 days and had NO PROBLEMS.

So I started eclipse and checked for updates and there was one that was installed. But after the update (to Eclipse), it froze again. Very frustrating.

However, the Details box that comes up still marks it copyright 2010. I don't understand the version and labeling involved. How can I tell what version I have? How can I tell if I should upgrade?

I can tell that it says "Helios" when I start this and it looks like the latest is called "Juno" (with "Helios" being 2 versions back). Does this mean that I was *NOT* upgraded? Is a new install necessary? Or is this a known issue with Lion and it's just (once again) user error and I need to do something.

Stuck unable to work. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

-D. Israel
Re: Eclipse and Lion - Kinda lost... [message #922207 is a reply to message #922186] Mon, 24 September 2012 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
I can't tell you about Java on Mac and what new bugs might have been introduced, but as you guessed correctly your Eclipse Helios is two years old.
You probably don't have a software repository configured where the Juno bits could be downloaded from.
In most cases this is actually a good thing because doing a major version upgrade just by "check for updates" has its risks.

The safest for you to try is indeed to install a fresh new Juno download.

HTH,
Stephan
Re: Eclipse and Lion - Kinda lost... [message #922211 is a reply to message #922207] Mon, 24 September 2012 20:59 Go to previous message
Daniel Israel is currently offline Daniel IsraelFriend

OK, so yet another "User Error". Seems I erroneously expected it to upgrade to Juno. Didn't realize different named versions are kind of like Operating Systems...

I'll give it a try.

Thanks.
Previous Topic:ASTParser does not parse javadoc comments
Next Topic:Check is type imported
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:43:45 GMT 2024