Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Proposals » OSGi Enterprise Tools » Migrating my application to OSGi (porting my web application to OSGi )
Migrating my application to OSGi [message #921459] Mon, 24 September 2012 06:10
omprakash visvanathan is currently offline omprakash visvanathanFriend
Hi,
I am an OSGi evangelist and have worked with both equinox and felix containers. I am currently looking to deploy my J2EE web application on to a OSGi environment like Virgo. My requirements are below:

1. My web application is packaged as a standard war file with many jar files. Most I have converted to war bundles. Should I use Virgo's ability to deploy standard war files or package as a WAB.

2. My application uses custom classloading to load classes and resources at runtime. Will just copying them to the Hot deploy directory be enough here. What if I had subdirectories and many user accounts. Would hot deploy be able to manage a entire filesystem. What would be the performance penalty.

3. The main purpose of migrating to OSGi is for dynamic refresh of modified classes. How will this scale if I were to allow multiple users to access the application

4. Users should be able to log on to the web or command console and check the status of their bundles. They should either see only their bundles or can see but not be allowed to change other user's bundles.

5. Virgo allows starting multiple child instances. Could I somehow leverage this to start/stop instances on demand depending on user load

6. Even with OSGi, there will be times when a restart of the container is required. The impact should be minimal and other users should not be affected by this.

7. Virgo allows the clustering of the built-in tomcat container. But the bundles would reside on the kernel. Could the equinox container too be clustered so the no of bundles/container is manageable.

8. Which of the following application architectures do you think would be best:
a. Single applicaton with multiple user accounts
b. 1 web application per user and several applications per node and several nodes in a cluster
c. 1 tomcat server per user

9. How can I use repositories to store bundles of users and load them as needed.

Your thoughts and comments please.

cheers,
Om Visvanathan
Founder and CEO - omprovise dot in
Business Rules for everyone

[Updated on: Mon, 24 September 2012 06:17]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:can't start OSGi need help
Next Topic:Class not found error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:42:01 GMT 2024