Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Any way of connecting a MAT standalone client to a remote MAT headless instance
Any way of connecting a MAT standalone client to a remote MAT headless instance [message #921239] Mon, 24 September 2012 00:32 Go to next message
Scott Murray is currently offline Scott MurrayFriend
My use case is. Huge memory dump, memory footprint of process is 21G, with resultant hprof file 32G. The process is running on a 64bit linux headless server.

I run the MAT tool in headless mode on my linux server to produce the various index files:
./ParseHeapDump.sh ~/software/logs/dumps/java_pid4301.hprof org.eclipse.mat.api:suspects org.eclipse.mat.api:top_components > /tmp/ParseHeapDump.log 2>&1 &

This produces an extra 34G of index files.

I am then copying the 32G dump file and the 34Gs of indexes onto my local Windows XP PC. And I then run the MAT standalone GUI to analyze the tool.

What I want to be able to do is not have to copy the files to my windows Xp PC (which is puny and has limited memory and disk space) and run the MAT standalone client on my Windows XP PC and connect to another MAT process running on my powerful linux server?

Is this possible? If not has anyone considered changing MAT to support this?
Re: Any way of connecting a MAT standalone client to a remote MAT headless instance [message #921499 is a reply to message #921239] Mon, 24 September 2012 07:04 Go to previous message
Krum Tsvetkov is currently offline Krum TsvetkovFriend
Currently there is no functionality inside MAT itself to achieve this.

However, I think that if you have some X Server tools installed on your Win box it should be possible to run any GUI program on your server (given that it has the neccessary GUI packages) and have the display exported to your Win box.

A different approach that was attempted was to enable MAT to be used as RAP application. In this scenario MAT is running in a web server (Jetty, Tomcat) and you access it via a browser. There was a prototype working, and a very nice contibution (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=262603) from Benjamin Muskalla about this, but I still haven't managed to integrate everything and produce "RAP-flavored" MAT.
Previous Topic:Error displaying Histogram
Next Topic:Does Heap dump includes Thread dump?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:18:04 GMT 2024