Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Is the stash/apply running well in EGit 2.0 (stash)
Is the stash/apply running well in EGit 2.0 [message #915078] Sun, 16 September 2012 11:34 Go to next message
hemin ka is currently offline hemin kaFriend
I use the EGit ver.2.0.0.

In the version, I can find a stash/apply function.

But, the function of 'Apply Stashed Changes' always seems that it overwrite the source as stashed file without any conflicts.

Is the stash/apply running well?

Re: Is the stash/apply running well in EGit 2.0 [message #915105 is a reply to message #915078] Sun, 16 September 2012 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
There does seem to be a bug in the following situation (I'm using the nightly build 2.1.0.201209142322):

- Modify a file
- Stash the modification
- Modify the same file in a conflicting way
- Stage and commit
- Apply Stashed Changes

Expected: conflict that needs resolution
Found: the committed change is simply replaced with the stash contents.

What it seems to be doing is putting the index back to the pre-commit state for the file in question, effectively undoing the commit, and only then applying the stash. Thus no conflict.

The problem is specific to committed changes. If the conflicting change is staged but not committed, Apply Stashed Changes correctly creates a conflict for the user to resolve.

If the conflicting change is unstaged, Apply Stashed Changes does the right thing functionally (ie nothing) but doesn't inform the user that the operation isn't valid. Looks like maybe a dialog is shown but it disappears instantly
Re: Is the stash/apply running well in EGit 2.0 [message #919938 is a reply to message #915105] Sat, 22 September 2012 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone from the development team want to comment on this? Is it in fact a bug or am I misunderstanding the semantics?
Re: Is the stash/apply running well in EGit 2.0 [message #922899 is a reply to message #919938] Tue, 25 September 2012 12:42 Go to previous message
I was about to add this as a bug when a search revealed that there are already is one, filed way back in April:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=376035

Nothing has happened since. It's a pretty significant problem, can't really use "Apply Stashed Changes" at all unless you're sure in advance that there's no conflict.

Previous Topic:Error when trying to use existing git repository
Next Topic:Location of working source?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:14:49 GMT 2024