Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » [Acceleo] keeping track of model changes on generation
[Acceleo] keeping track of model changes on generation [message #911804] Wed, 12 September 2012 10:57 Go to next message
Farzad Sedghi is currently offline Farzad SedghiFriend
Hi,

I'm new to Acceleo and it's very interesting for me. There is one thing about generation in Acceleo for which I could not find any clear answer yet. I really like to know if Acceleo keeps track of changes in the input models between the current and its previous run, to regenerate only the affected parts of code. As far as I know it is very important in large projects for at least two reasons:

1. performance: there is no need to process all the models and run all the templates and write them back to disk, in order to have the effect of a small change in one of the models.
2. version control: Although it may not be a good practice to do version control for generated files, there are still cases where this is needed. Generation of all the files when the content of most of them are the same as before can confuse version control tools like CVS. So the developer should spend time or do some tricks to extract the real changed files among all the generated files.

Is there a solution for this problem in Acceleo? As mentioned above, keeping the track of model changes can be a solution, which is available in tools like Xpand for EMF models. Is this solution or any other available in Acceleo?

cheers.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 September 2012 23:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Acceleo] keeping track of model changes on generation [message #923784 is a reply to message #911804] Wed, 26 September 2012 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephane Begaudeau is currently offline Stephane BegaudeauFriend

Hi,

Acceleo does not currently offer this feature. You could use EMF compare along with Acceleo to find out all the elements of your model that have changed and then relaunch the generation only on those elements.

Regards,

Stephane Begaudeau, Obeo

--
Twitter: @sbegaudeau & @acceleo
Google+: stephane.begaudeau & acceleo
Blog: http://stephanebegaudeau.tumblr.com
Acceleo Documentation: http://docs.obeonetwork.com/acceleo
Re: [Acceleo] keeping track of model changes on generation [message #929625 is a reply to message #923784] Mon, 01 October 2012 16:10 Go to previous message
Farzad Sedghi is currently offline Farzad SedghiFriend
Thanks for your response Stephane.
Previous Topic:[Xpand] Version in Juno SR1: 1.2.1 or 1.2.2?
Next Topic:Dynamic directory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:28:06 GMT 2024