Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » What are the steps to use Egit with Bitbucket(I have several problems with what I follow now. I need to know the correct procedure.)
What are the steps to use Egit with Bitbucket [message #903558] Fri, 24 August 2012 10:35 Go to next message
Dinesh Wijekoon is currently offline Dinesh WijekoonFriend
Here goes what I did.

1.) Eclipse-> Import-> Projects from Git
This worked well. The project i wanted created inside Eclipse. But if I try to commit the code which i opened in Eclipse just now it ask me to commit everything (even tough I haven't done any changers). Is there any specific way to say the system these are not changed. "So don't try to commit them".

2.) Then I worked in changing some of the codes. Meanwhile I was working on the code another member committed the code into server (Bitbucket)

3.) Then i use Team->Fetch from upstrem

4.) Then i goto Team->syncronize Workspace, and check for changed codes and copy paste into my code. Or either merge the code into my old files.

5.) Now when i finish my code, i do Team->Commit, it works but still show what ever unnecessary files also to commit which i never changed.

6.) then i use Team->Push to upstream, then system says "non-fast-forward..." and it do not work. Then i use "force" and it works, but it will remove all the commits from the previous person and add mine there.

So can you please tell me what i do wrong??
Re: What are the steps to use Egit with Bitbucket [message #903947 is a reply to message #903558] Mon, 27 August 2012 11:58 Go to previous message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
1) " But if I try to commit the code which i opened in Eclipse just now it ask me to commit everything"

This should not be the case. Can you describe your steps in more detail please?

4), 5) + 6) The commit you make in step 5 is not based on the latest commit you have fetched from the server. You have two options: merge[1] or rebase[2]. You should not copy code manually as you described in step 4). In your case I would recommend rebase. Then you end up with a linear history.

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Merging
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Rebasing
Previous Topic:EGit variables not set on selection in Repositories view
Next Topic:JGit Branches onto Remote master
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:46:09 GMT 2024