Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » scout » Form Generator based on DB Table layout(Form Generator based on DB Table layout)
Form Generator based on DB Table layout [message #899960] Fri, 03 August 2012 04:40 Go to next message
Tore Van Grembergen is currently offline Tore Van Grembergen
Dear All,

I am quit new to Scout (just finished the examples) and please forgive me if I make a stupid question, or if the question has been answered a zillion times.

Does anybody know if there exists a form generator in scout that creates the basic CRUD we need for a table automagically ?

It would be nice e.g. that one could be able to select a table from the database and that automatically the outline, searchform, maintenance form and related SQL code is created for the table.
For the maintenance form e.g. based on the foreign keys, automatically the generator generates dropdown boxes.

The existance of this functionality would drastically improve the speed of application development.

I know that the result is never perfect and e.g. for the search form maybe to much fields would be included, but it is much faster to delete code than to insert code.

Kind regards

Tore
Re: Form Generator based on DB Table layout [message #900123 is a reply to message #899960] Sat, 04 August 2012 06:12 Go to previous message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie Bresson
Thanks for asking the question (I think it is the first time, that it is asked on this forum).

I totally agree with you, having a such generator, would be a great tool for eclipse scout scout (even if, as you said, it is only used for a first raw version). I am not aware of a such tool for the moment, but I can imagine, that we are not the first developers that wonder if this possible.

Personally, I really would like to have time to investigate Eclipse EMF. To my mind, it is the only good approach for a such generator. The Modeling Platform of Eclipse provides a lots of greats tools (model to model transformation, model to text generator, different editors, tools to query or represent the model ...). If you do not use their tools, you are reinventing the wheel or you get a collection of generation scripts that will only work ones (for a specific problem).

For the moment, I am lacking of time to investigate EMF (there is a steep learning curve). I also need to clarify the perimeter of my project (the idea is not to rewrite the whole scout application model, or to write Xpand template that will do exactly the same as the Scout SDK wizard).
Previous Topic:Multi-Module Applications
Next Topic:password with salt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 23 11:29:38 EDT 2014