Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Performance of Remote Call(remote services performance)
Performance of Remote Call [message #897607] Tue, 24 July 2012 17:13 Go to next message
Walt Dixon is currently offline Walt DixonFriend
Have there been any performance benchmarks established using ECF and the various providers... In the same application if I swap providers between ECF generic and r-OSGi, there is close to a 8X difference in performance.

using localhost and the r-OSGi, a simple remote call taking a couple of primative arguments takes approximately 200us. If I change the configuration to use the ECF generic provider, keeping the exact same source code - The remote call takes approximately 1500us to complete.

Any insights into the differences?
Re: Performance of Remote Call [message #940315 is a reply to message #897607] Thu, 11 October 2012 14:23 Go to previous message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Walt Dixon wrote on Tue, 24 July 2012 13:13
Have there been any performance benchmarks established using ECF and the various providers...

No, unfortunately not.

Quote:

In the same application if I swap providers between ECF generic and r-OSGi, there is close to a 8X difference in performance.

using localhost and the r-OSGi, a simple remote call taking a couple of primative arguments takes approximately 200us. If I change the configuration to use the ECF generic provider, keeping the exact same source code - The remote call takes approximately 1500us to complete.

Any insights into the differences?

There are a couple of possibilities. One is that this difference could be first-time only (i.e. upon first invocation only) and due to the more lazy loading and connecting of the generic provider. Do you see such a difference on every subsequent invocation?

If you would like to open a bug here

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=ECF

we could investigate the differences and look to understand and/or eliminate them. There are ways to change/affect the generic provider's performance, if it's a problem.

Previous Topic:Problem understand - "Discovery of Remote Services
Next Topic:Can a external .NET communicate with eclipse/ECF?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:28:16 GMT 2024