Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » Errors while building Juno from source(eclipse-build)
Errors while building Juno from source [message #895724] Sun, 15 July 2012 11:54 Go to next message
Shubhadeep Chaudhuri is currently offline Shubhadeep ChaudhuriFriend
I'm trying to build Juno from source but it fails while building the org.eclipse.jdt.debug package where some classes make use of the MessageFormat.format method from the com.ibm.icu.text package in an invalid way. Here is one of the errors.
    [javac] /var/tmp/portage/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-4.2/work/org.eclipse.linuxtools.eclipse-build-7b07d10488eb9d6e2880eac320b09c16d1ae78e3/eclipse-build/build/eclipse-4.2.0-I20120608-1400-src/plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.debug/model/org/eclipse/jdt/internal/debug/core/model/JDIDebugTarget.java:1252: error: no suitable method found for format(String,String)
    [javac] 			targetRequestFailed(MessageFormat.format(
    [javac] 			                                 ^
    [javac]     method MessageFormat.format(Object,StringBuffer,FieldPosition) is not applicable
    [javac]       (actual and formal argument lists differ in length)
    [javac]     method MessageFormat.format(String,Map<String,Object>) is not applicable
    [javac]       (actual argument String cannot be converted to Map<String,Object> by method invocation conversion)
    [javac]     method MessageFormat.format(String,Object[]) is not applicable
    [javac]       (actual argument String cannot be converted to Object[] by method invocation conversion)
    [javac]     method MessageFormat.format(Map<String,Object>,StringBuffer,FieldPosition) is not applicable
    [javac]     method MessageFormat.format(Object[],StringBuffer,FieldPosition) is not applicable
    [javac]     method Format.format(Object) is not applicable

and rest of the errors are here pastebin.com/KBdp3u6h.

Also, there are some plugins which have dependencies which aren't listed in dependencies.properties and aren't present in dependencyManifests directory.
javax.servlet.jsp_2.0 (required by many plugins)
org.apache.batik.xml_1.6.0
org.apache.commons.jxpath_1.2.0 (required by org.eclipse.e4.emf.xpath)
javax.servlet_2.5.0 (required by org.eclipse.equinox.jmx.server.xmlrpc)
org.apache.xmlrpc (required by org.eclipse.equinox.jmx.server.xmlrpc)
jetty 6.0.0 (required by org.eclipse.equinox.jmx.server.xmlrpc)
org.apache.sshd.core_0.5.0 (required by org.eclipse.equinox.console.jaas.fragment)

What's more important for me to know right now is why am I getting the errors.
Re: Errors while building Juno from source [message #897620 is a reply to message #895724] Tue, 24 July 2012 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland Grunberg is currently offline Roland GrunbergFriend
Do you have icu4j of at least version 4.4.2 ? If it's older, this might explain the errors.
Re: Errors while building Juno from source [message #897686 is a reply to message #897620] Wed, 25 July 2012 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland Grunberg wrote on Tue, 24 July 2012 15:02
Do you have icu4j of at least version 4.4.2 ? If it's older, this might explain the errors.

Yea, I have icu4j 4.4.2.
It seems the changes introduced in this commit to MessageFormat.format are causing the errors.
Using icu4j from eclipse bin package works.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 July 2012 06:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Errors while building Juno from source [message #898385 is a reply to message #897686] Thu, 26 July 2012 10:05 Go to previous message
Okay, so the problem was that I was using icu4j-4.4.2 but MessageFormat.format method with the varargs parameter was introduced in 4.4.2.1. Hence, the errors.
Previous Topic:1.0 released!
Next Topic: error logged from debug core
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:55:18 GMT 2024