Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Extending the BIRT viewer?
Extending the BIRT viewer? [message #895187] Wed, 11 July 2012 22:49 Go to next message
Bob Finch is currently offline Bob FinchFriend
I've written implementations of IDocArchiveReader and IDocArchiveWriter that store and retrieve report output in database BLOBs. It's been easy to use directly with the BIRT engine to run and render reports.

I'd like to extend the BIRT viewer to use my implementation of IDocArchiveReader. So far, I haven't found a way to do that without modifying BIRT source, and I'd rather not do that if possible.

It appears that the viewer calls openReportDocument() in BirtViewerReportService to open report documents; if I could override that to open the report document with my IDocArchiveReader implementation, I'd be set. BirtViewerReportService is instantiated from a small servlet context listener which is easily replaced -- so far, so good.

Unfortunately, openReportDocuent() in BirtViewerReportService is private, so I can't override it. Even if I entirely replace it with my own class, it depends on ReportEngineService to talk to the underlying engine, and it does not expose any of the "openReportDocument" methods from the underlying engine that take an archive reader.

ReportEngineService has a private constructor so it cannot be subclassed. There are lots of calls to ReportEngineService.getInstance() scattered throughout the viewer code so there's no easy way to substitute my own implementation without changing all those references.

Is there some other way to do what I want that I'm not seeing, or am I stuck?

Thanks!
Re: Extending the BIRT viewer? [message #896132 is a reply to message #895187] Tue, 17 July 2012 11:34 Go to previous message
sam va is currently offline sam vaFriend
Hello Bob

Nice to know that you had IDocArchiveWriter working. We manually upload the document to database right now. Any pointers on how you achieved would be very helpful to us

Thanks
Previous Topic:Birt report export to excel error
Next Topic:Editable Chart in BIRT doc file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:57:22 GMT 2024