Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file
Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file [message #893622] Wed, 04 July 2012 20:39 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Hi,

I'm trying to define a feature containing all plugins/features needed to
run a RAP workbench application from a WAR file.
I found some old build samples still containg qx7 and not containing
felix gogo for example.

Also tried to include org.eclipse.rap.runtime and the requirements. But
these features contain too much, like some junit stuff and examples...

Can anyone provide a feature.xml that includes everything needed where I
just have to add my plugins to?

Regards,
Markus
Re: Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file [message #893821 is a reply to message #893622] Thu, 05 July 2012 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Am 05.07.2012 02:39, schrieb Markus Krüger:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to define a feature containing all plugins/features needed to
> run a RAP workbench application from a WAR file.
> I found some old build samples still containg qx7 and not containing
> felix gogo for example.
>
> Also tried to include org.eclipse.rap.runtime and the requirements. But
> these features contain too much, like some junit stuff and examples...
>
> Can anyone provide a feature.xml that includes everything needed where I
> just have to add my plugins to?
>
> Regards,
> Markus

no one?
Re: Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file [message #893831 is a reply to message #893821] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Furnadjiev is currently offline Ivan Furnadjiev
Messages: 1796
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Markus,
if you want to export your application as a WAR file just use Libra
project WAR Product from this p2 site [1].

[1] http://download.eclipse.org/libra/releases
Best,
Ivan

On 7/5/2012 5:54 PM, Markus Krüger wrote:
> Am 05.07.2012 02:39, schrieb Markus Krüger:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to define a feature containing all plugins/features needed to
>> run a RAP workbench application from a WAR file.
>> I found some old build samples still containg qx7 and not containing
>> felix gogo for example.
>>
>> Also tried to include org.eclipse.rap.runtime and the requirements. But
>> these features contain too much, like some junit stuff and examples...
>>
>> Can anyone provide a feature.xml that includes everything needed where I
>> just have to add my plugins to?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Markus
>
> no one?
>

--
Ivan Furnadjiev

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file [message #893846 is a reply to message #893831] Thu, 05 July 2012 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Hi Ivan,

we need to do it headless with jenkins. I already have goodlooking
solution for this. The only thing that is missing is to know
what bunch of plugins I need to start a rap workbench with my plugins.



Am 05.07.2012 17:31, schrieb Ivan Furnadjiev:
> Hi Markus,
> if you want to export your application as a WAR file just use Libra
> project WAR Product from this p2 site [1].
>
> [1] http://download.eclipse.org/libra/releases
> Best,
> Ivan
>
> On 7/5/2012 5:54 PM, Markus Krüger wrote:
>> Am 05.07.2012 02:39, schrieb Markus Krüger:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to define a feature containing all plugins/features needed to
>>> run a RAP workbench application from a WAR file.
>>> I found some old build samples still containg qx7 and not containing
>>> felix gogo for example.
>>>
>>> Also tried to include org.eclipse.rap.runtime and the requirements. But
>>> these features contain too much, like some junit stuff and examples...
>>>
>>> Can anyone provide a feature.xml that includes everything needed where I
>>> just have to add my plugins to?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Markus
>>
>> no one?
>>
>
Re: Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file [message #893855 is a reply to message #893622] Thu, 05 July 2012 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rüdiger Herrmann is currently offline Rüdiger Herrmann
Messages: 563
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Markus,

there is no single universal feature.xml as users have too diverse
dependencies (e.g. data-binding not not, forms or not, etc.)

You may use the feature.xml from the RAP example application [1] as a
starting point. It should be obvious what is part of the example
application itself.

One more thing though. Nagging doesn't help to get answers faster at
all. If this is really pressing, you should investigate by yourself
harder or seek professional support.

HTH
Rüdiger

[1]
https://github.com/eclipse/rap/blob/master/releng/org.eclipse.rap.demo.examples.build/feature/feature.xml

On 05.07.2012 02:39, Markus Krüger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to define a feature containing all plugins/features needed to
> run a RAP workbench application from a WAR file.
> I found some old build samples still containg qx7 and not containing
> felix gogo for example.
>
> Also tried to include org.eclipse.rap.runtime and the requirements. But
> these features contain too much, like some junit stuff and examples...
>
> Can anyone provide a feature.xml that includes everything needed where I
> just have to add my plugins to?
>
> Regards,
> Markus
--
Rüdiger Herrmann
http://codeaffine.com
Re: Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file [message #893980 is a reply to message #893855] Fri, 06 July 2012 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Hi Rüdiger,

sorry, didn't mean to nag. I looked around alot but couldn't find the
information.
I'll try the link you posted.

Regards,
Markus

Am 05.07.2012 19:16, schrieb Rüdiger Herrmann:
> Markus,
>
> there is no single universal feature.xml as users have too diverse
> dependencies (e.g. data-binding not not, forms or not, etc.)
>
> You may use the feature.xml from the RAP example application [1] as a
> starting point. It should be obvious what is part of the example
> application itself.
>
> One more thing though. Nagging doesn't help to get answers faster at
> all. If this is really pressing, you should investigate by yourself
> harder or seek professional support.
>
> HTH
> Rüdiger
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/eclipse/rap/blob/master/releng/org.eclipse.rap.demo.examples.build/feature/feature.xml
>
>
> On 05.07.2012 02:39, Markus Krüger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to define a feature containing all plugins/features needed to
>> run a RAP workbench application from a WAR file.
>> I found some old build samples still containg qx7 and not containing
>> felix gogo for example.
>>
>> Also tried to include org.eclipse.rap.runtime and the requirements. But
>> these features contain too much, like some junit stuff and examples...
>>
>> Can anyone provide a feature.xml that includes everything needed where I
>> just have to add my plugins to?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Markus
Re: Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file [message #895042 is a reply to message #893980] Wed, 11 July 2012 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wim Jongman is currently offline Wim Jongman
Messages: 276
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Hi,

I think it makes sense to think about offering something like this.

If a RAP application wants to use the P2 update functions and feature based builds then it is a good idea to provide a RAP runtime feature from the RAP update site.

Then we could build a feature based product as described here:

http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/server/http_in_container.php

In short it would require a rap.runtime.stripped.feature

The current rap.runtime contains to many and intruding bundles:

demo bundles - These interfere with the application
jetty bundles - are not used in a servlet container
junit bundles - not used in production

So I would like to have this stripped one which could contain:

"org.eclipse.rap.jface"
"org.eclipse.rap.jface.databinding"
"org.eclipse.rap.rwt"
"org.eclipse.rap.rwt.osgi"
"org.eclipse.rap.ui"
"org.eclipse.rap.ui.cheatsheets"
"org.eclipse.rap.ui.forms"
"org.eclipse.rap.ui.views"
"org.eclipse.rap.ui.workbench"

Do you want me to file a bug for this?

Best regards,

Wim


Re: Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file [message #895254 is a reply to message #895042] Thu, 12 July 2012 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Sternberg is currently offline Ralf Sternberg
Messages: 1290
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Hi Wim,

I hesitated a bit to respond because I don't like this approach so much.
Let me explain why.

I think a WAR file should contain exactly the bundles that are needed
for the application. To give an example, in an RWT-only application that
uses the new ApplicationConfiguration API, the rap.ui.workbench bundle
*must not* be present, because this bundle auto-starts a workbench
application in the default context. So if we go this path, we'd need to
provide at least two different features, one with only rap.rwt and
rap.jface, the other one with rap.ui*. Probably there will soon be a
demand for even more different features.

In the end, every RAP application is a bit different and so is the set
of required bundles. I tried to explain in [1] which bundles are needed
for an application. A feature could only serve as a template, and there
is already our demo build feature that can be used.

I understand that there is a need for simplification, and we may have to
find a better answer to the problem. Solutions could include

* better documentation that describes which bundles to pick

* a selection of template features for different setups (not sure if we
can effectively maintain those)

* tooling support to create a WAR product from an existing RAP launch
config (IIRC only OSGi launch configs are currently supported)

* would it help to split the runtime feature into a rap-runtime and a
rap-dev feature to keep demos, junit, and testfixure out of the
runtime?

Other ideas?

Regards,
Ralf


[1]
http://eclipse.org/rap/developers-guide/devguide.php?topic=getting-started/launcher.html

--
Ralf Sternberg

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file [message #897516 is a reply to message #895254] Tue, 24 July 2012 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wim Jongman is currently offline Wim Jongman
Messages: 276
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Quote:

think a WAR file should contain exactly the bundles that are needed
for the application.


That is one way of looking at it. The Other Way (notice the capitals ;) is aimed at ways we could prepare the installation for P2 and automated builds. Especially, we would like to consume the Eclipse features that we use just straight from their respective update sites without us having to "park" the RAP plugins on a local site. This causes all kinds of additional maintenance.

Quote:

So if we go this path, we'd need to provide at least two different features, one with only rap.rwt and rap.jface, the other one with rap.ui*. Probably there will soon be a
demand for even more different features.


Yes I agree at least these two. I don't think you would have to grant requests for additional configurations since these are the two ways you can use RAP. If a user wants to strip down the installation to the bare minimum then this is something you cannot provide for because all of these installations will be different.

For us, we don't care at all that some bundle is not used if it can help us minimize the maintenance efforts and have the advantage of getting all the latest when building, automatic updates, etc..

Quote:

* better documentation that describes which bundles to pick

* a selection of template features for different setups (not sure if we
can effectively maintain those)

* tooling support to create a WAR product from an existing RAP launch
config (IIRC only OSGi launch configs are currently supported)


I think these options cause way to much maintenance effort on your side. For example, there is the current WAR tooling, which in itself is excellent an very valuable, especially to get started. However, it does not support features. That throws us back to manual ops when going for the automated builds. [update to add the point] Maintaining such a tool requires manpower as well.

Quote:

* would it help to split the runtime feature into a rap-runtime and a
rap-dev feature to keep demos, junit, and testfixure out of the
runtime?


Yes, that would be valuable but it brings the discussion back to your first concern.

Best regards,

Wim

[Updated on: Tue, 24 July 2012 07:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Needes Plugins/Features for a WAR file [message #960148 is a reply to message #893622] Sat, 27 October 2012 04:00 Go to previous message
Markus Knauer is currently offline Markus Knauer
Messages: 107
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

I just wanted to mention that there is progress and that we need your feedback.
See the following bug:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=392086
Bug 392086 - Provide consumable RAP features


The nightly build repository (http://download.eclipse.org/rt/rap/nightly/runtime/) contains the current status of the changes.


--
Markus Knauer

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Previous Topic:Upload file code deprecation
Next Topic:How to draw processBar to tree or table?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Sep 01 22:08:37 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.07194 seconds