Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » Error in Localization?
Error in Localization? [message #890231] Thu, 21 June 2012 10:22 Go to next message
Dnns . is currently offline Dnns .
Messages: 30
Registered: May 2012
Member
Hi,

it seems, that there is an Error/Bug in the Localization.

In my report I use 2 property files with texts. One is in english, and one in german. So in most cases everything works fine. My PC is in german, so usually eclipse uses the german locales. Then i edit the settings, and changed it to english. In the report, and the parameter, everything is in english, beside the Parameter group. That's the only thing, which uses the text from the german properties file.
After this i deployed it to the server for testing. The server is in english, so normally the english texts are used. then i added the parameter "__locale=de" to the URL. All texts are in german. besides the parameter group. This is english (the same for the helptext of the parameter group.
In the next step i tried to create a new parameter group... the same... also in a new report. Everywhere the same.

Do you think its a configuration mistake? Or is there perhaps a bug in BIRT? I am using Version 3.7.2

Dnns

Edit: I've got a further question: How can i have influence in the "default" *.properties-file? i ask. because i tried a locale, which doesn't exist on the server (i used __locale=ru, but ther is no *_ru.properties). Instead of using the servers locale, it uses german.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 June 2012 10:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Error in Localization? [message #890313 is a reply to message #890231] Thu, 21 June 2012 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

I believe this was a bug that just got fixed about a week ago:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=365139

Jason

On 6/21/2012 10:22 AM, Dnns . wrote:
> Hi,
> it seems, that there is an Error/Bug in the Localization.
>
> In my report I use 2 property files with texts. One is in english, and
> one in german. So in most cases everything works fine. My PC is in
> german, so usually eclipse uses the german locales. Then i edit the
> settings, and changed it to english. In the report, and the parameter,
> everything is in english, beside the Parameter group. That's the only
> thing, which uses the text from the german properties file. After this
> i deployed it to the server for testing. The server is in english, so
> normally the english texts are used. then i added the parameter
> "__locale=de" to the URL. All texts are in german. besides the parameter
> group. This is english (the same for the helptext of the parameter group.
> In the next step i tried to create a new parameter group... the same...
> also in a new report. Everywhere the same.
> Do you think its a configuration mistake? Or is there perhaps a bug in
> BIRT? I am using Version 3.7.2
>
> Dnns
Re: Error in Localization? [message #890356 is a reply to message #890313] Fri, 22 June 2012 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dnns . is currently offline Dnns .
Messages: 30
Registered: May 2012
Member
Hi,

I followed your link. It seems to be the same issue. But how can I get the fixed version? On BIRT homepage, there is no newer version than mine, and in the bugreport, I can't find any information.

Dnns
Re: Error in Localization? [message #890579 is a reply to message #890356] Fri, 22 June 2012 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

That is the 4.2 version of BIRT which should be released next week. You
can find candidate builds on the recent builds page.
http://download.eclipse.org/birt/downloads/build_list.php


Jason

On 6/22/2012 2:33 AM, Dnns . wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed your link. It seems to be the same issue. But how can I get
> the fixed version? On BIRT homepage, there is no newer version than
> mine, and in the bugreport, I can't find any information.
>
> Dnns
Re: Error in Localization? [message #890589 is a reply to message #890579] Fri, 22 June 2012 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dnns . is currently offline Dnns .
Messages: 30
Registered: May 2012
Member
Oooh.... i searched really long today, but there i didn't search. Thank you. I will try it as soon as possible. Wink

I have a further question: Why is the report as default in german, if i don't add the __locale parameter to the url?

[Updated on: Mon, 25 June 2012 02:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Error in Localization? [message #891531 is a reply to message #890589] Mon, 25 June 2012 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dnns . is currently offline Dnns .
Messages: 30
Registered: May 2012
Member
I have a further question: Why is the report as default in german, if i don't add the __locale parameter to the url?

Edit: I found the answer to my question.

Quote:

"__locale" specifies the locale for the specific operation. Note that this will override the default locale. Order of precedence is as follows:

__locale parameter.

Locale from client browser.

Locale web.xml setting.

Locale for the application server.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 June 2012 08:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Error in Localization? [message #891765 is a reply to message #891531] Mon, 25 June 2012 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Do you have a locale set in the preferences? If not set it should be
using your jvm default locale.

Jason

On 6/25/2012 3:34 AM, Dnns . wrote:
> I have a further question: Why is the report as default in german, if i
> don't add the __locale parameter to the url?
Re: Error in Localization? [message #891813 is a reply to message #891765] Tue, 26 June 2012 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dnns . is currently offline Dnns .
Messages: 30
Registered: May 2012
Member
In which preferences?

Everything is ok. If you have a look at my Update to my previous Post, the order is ok.

Dnns

Edit: Ok it seems, there is an error. For testing purpose i just installed a dutch broweser. If the order, i postet before is right, the birtviewer should take the locale from web.xml, or from JVM. I have a german and an english *.properties file. If i start the report from the dutch browser, neither the german nor the english texts are shown. the webviewer shows the names of the elements. Regarding the BIRT Homepage(I would have postet the link, but I am currently not allowed to do this) this should be as in my previous post.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 June 2012 05:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Error in Localization? [message #891933 is a reply to message #891813] Tue, 26 June 2012 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

First check the advanced property of the report. Select the report
background, then click on the advanced item in the properties view and
then look for locale. Is it set? If so you can delete it. Next check
the designer preferences.

Window->preferences->Report Design->Preview

Look at the drop down box "Choose your locale"

Jason


On 6/26/2012 2:27 AM, Dnns . wrote:
> In which preferences?
>
> Everything is ok. If you have a look at my Update to my previous Post,
> the order is ok.
>
> Dnns
Re: Error in Localization? [message #892014 is a reply to message #891933] Tue, 26 June 2012 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dnns . is currently offline Dnns .
Messages: 30
Registered: May 2012
Member
Hi,

the error i described is in the web viewer, deployed on the server. So i think your second suggestion with the preferences will take no effect, only for preview.

Dnns
Re: Error in Localization? [message #892044 is a reply to message #892014] Tue, 26 June 2012 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

You are correct but in the web.xml you can set the default locale as well.

Jason

On 6/26/2012 4:20 PM, Dnns . wrote:
> Hi,
> the error i described is in the web viewer, deployed on the server. So i
> think your second suggestion with the preferences will take no effect,
> only for preview.
>
> Dnns
Re: Error in Localization? [message #892197 is a reply to message #892044] Wed, 27 June 2012 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dnns . is currently offline Dnns .
Messages: 30
Registered: May 2012
Member
In my web.xml stands the following:

<context-param>
    <param-name>BIRT_VIEWER_LOCALE</param-name>
    <param-value>en-US</param-value>
</context-param>


So if the browser is in a unknown language, i think it should use the english version.

I solved the problem now by adding a properties file withoug any language in the name. so now i have the followin files.

  • name.properties
  • name_de.properties
  • name_en.properties

So if the viewer doesn't know the language, it uses the first file, which is the same as the _en file

[Updated on: Wed, 27 June 2012 07:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Error in Localization? [message #893585 is a reply to message #892197] Wed, 04 July 2012 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dnns . is currently offline Dnns .
Messages: 30
Registered: May 2012
Member
Hi, today i did the update of the Webviewer, and I have the same issue as before.
Re: Error in Localization? [message #893802 is a reply to message #893585] Thu, 05 July 2012 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

You updated the Webviewer webapp? or in the designer?

Jason

On 7/4/2012 1:23 PM, Dnns . wrote:
> Hi, today i did the update of the Webviewer, and I have the same issue
> as before.
Re: Error in Localization? [message #893873 is a reply to message #893802] Thu, 05 July 2012 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dnns . is currently offline Dnns .
Messages: 30
Registered: May 2012
Member
Hi,

i did both. I downloaded the bundle of designer and eclipse juno. nothing changed. After that i updated the webviewer on the server.... the same... the parametergroup is in the vm-locale, the rest is in the broswer language.
Re: Error in Localization? [message #894082 is a reply to message #893873] Fri, 06 July 2012 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

This still appears to be a bug. Can you reopen the bug?

Jason

On 7/5/2012 2:51 PM, Dnns . wrote:
> Hi,
> i did both. I downloaded the bundle of designer and eclipse juno.
> nothing changed. After that i updated the webviewer on the server....
> the same... the parametergroup is in the vm-locale, the rest is in the
> broswer language.
Re: Error in Localization? [message #894367 is a reply to message #894082] Sun, 08 July 2012 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donino donino is currently offline donino donino
Messages: 162
Registered: July 2011
Senior Member
Hi,

I confirm this bug is still alive, i reopened it
Re: Error in Localization? [message #894428 is a reply to message #894367] Mon, 09 July 2012 04:17 Go to previous message
Dnns . is currently offline Dnns .
Messages: 30
Registered: May 2012
Member
Ok, thanks
Previous Topic:how to change export file name
Next Topic:web service data source and security
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Jul 31 11:35:59 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03679 seconds