Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » Integrate tree drawing algorithm in GEF editor?(I'm looking for a way to lay out figures in a GEF editor with a tree drawing algorithm)
Integrate tree drawing algorithm in GEF editor? [message #889932] Wed, 20 June 2012 09:46 Go to next message
Stephan Druskat is currently offline Stephan DruskatFriend

Dear community,

I'm trying to get my head around the following issue.

I have a GEF editor which contains a graph, basically a parse tree (check en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parse_tree#Constituency-based_parse_trees). At the moment, it is laid out "by foot" using a simple algorithm to calculate the positions of nodes.

I would like to use a tree drawing algorithm by Buchheim et al. (google "Improving Walker's Algorithm to Run in Linear Time", I cannot post links yet) to lay out the graph automatically, but cannot for the life of me figure out where to start.

Please kindly comment on the following (probably confused) starting points/options I have come up with. Are any of them possible? What would be a good way to go about this?

1) Implement a custom Draw2D layout manager which reflects the algorithm. Possibly along the lines of what CompoundDirectedGraphLayout does.

2) Use XYLayout, but calculate the position of the nodes in the respective EditParts by calling an algorithm class. Is this possible at all?

My head is really spinning cos I can't figure this out. Thanks for any help!
Re: Integrate tree drawing algorithm in GEF editor? [message #889937 is a reply to message #889932] Wed, 20 June 2012 10:03 Go to previous message
Stephan Druskat is currently offline Stephan DruskatFriend

p.s.: I've found a class NodeLinkTreeLayout in prefuse (prefuse.org/doc/api/prefuse/action/layout/graph/NodeLinkTreeLayout.html) which implements just this algorithm, so I guess another option could be:

3) Get prefuse to render the graph. Is this possible?
Previous Topic:Zest Bug - Small Nodes
Next Topic:example GEF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:35:40 GMT 2024