Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Java WorkFlow Tooling (JWT) » Eclipse interoperability
Eclipse interoperability [message #10706] Thu, 12 January 2006 13:32 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: vgv8.yahoo.com.br

I believe I read in proposal that objective of JWT project is compatibility
with other tools and platform if not reusing proved code, solutions and
design.

From this p.v., I currently study [1] to get to my senses on Eclipse frames
communicability

Guennadi Vanine
[1]
Terry Chan.
Plug a Swing-based development tool into Eclipse
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os- swing/#g5

[2]
John Arthorne,
Responding to resource changes in the Eclipse workspace
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Resource-deltas/reso urce-deltas.html
Re: Eclipse interoperability [message #10737 is a reply to message #10706] Thu, 12 January 2006 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Fulnecky is currently offline Charles FulneckyFriend
Messages: 81
Registered: July 2009
Member
Heh, heh ... thanks Guennadi that first link helps out with another problem
I am working on!

Seriously though, if the swing based tool is already pretty robust it might
make sense to follow the techniques described in [1].
EMF (with all it's utility) could still be leveraged leaving the develpment
team to simply focus on the roundtrip code between the existing models
serialization and the EMF serialization.
Tools like OMONDO and GMF are already doing this (keeping the diagram file
in-sync with the ecore file) so this should be well understood.


"Guennadi Vanine" <vgv8@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
news:dq5loh$n3n$1@utils.eclipse.org...
> I believe I read in proposal that objective of JWT project is
compatibility
> with other tools and platform if not reusing proved code, solutions and
> design.
>
> From this p.v., I currently study [1] to get to my senses on Eclipse
frames
> communicability
>
> Guennadi Vanine
> [1]
> Terry Chan.
> Plug a Swing-based development tool into Eclipse
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os- swing/#g5
>
> [2]
> John Arthorne,
> Responding to resource changes in the Eclipse workspace
>
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Resource-deltas/reso urce-deltas.html
>
>
Re: Eclipse interoperability [message #10769 is a reply to message #10737] Thu, 12 January 2006 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: vgv8.yahoo.com.br

Hi, Charlie,
please note, that Omondo EclipseUML Free Edition doesn't permit sharing and
versioning project:
uuh, I wanted to give a link on very-angry discussion that Omondo doesn't
clearfy wants on this, but the thread was removed

I am not sure how they do it but evidently this crippling of EclipseUML
resulted that I couldn't even reopen in Eclipse3.* EMF ECore class diagrams
created in Eclipse2.*:
http://www.forum-omondo.com/viewtopic.php?t=827
Ah, u also may want to buy IBM/Rational products instead of Omondo
EclipseUML Studio for the same price.
This smells me "d
Re: Eclipse interoperability [message #10824 is a reply to message #10706] Fri, 13 January 2006 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: martin.brenda.martinbrenda.de

> [1]
> Terry Chan.
> Plug a Swing-based development tool into Eclipse
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os- swing/#g5

Hallo all,

if you want to shorten the development time and use some code of JaWE the
best way would be an integration over the Swing-Bridge of Eclipse
(org.eclipse.swt.awt). We are using the Swing-Bridge in our project and it
is working really nice. What I don't like about the solution shown on the
IBM-Site is, that a new Swing-Windows is opening. With the Swing-Bridge one
can integrate an AWT-Frame in a SWT-Composite (e.g. in the Composite of an
EditorPart).

But the best solution, in my opinion, would be a new Editor based on GEF
(e.g. without EMF in the beginning). Because, if you use the Swing-Bridge
now and create later an new Editor based on GEF you have double work. So in
my opinion it would be the best to make it right from the beginning. GEF is
a heavy framework, but I think a simple editor should be doable in a few
months.

Bye,
Martin Brenda
Re: Eclipse interoperability [message #12956 is a reply to message #10824] Fri, 13 January 2006 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: vgv8.yahoo.com.br

Martin,
I just love you, i.e. your ideas.

They are exactly what I, so far without success, insist on in my project:
- remove EMF form GEF with EMF requirement to me for initial step;
- do not throw away existing experience and code (of my company Workflow
Graphical Designer)in Swing
- the initial design, vision errors may result in desire to remake all in
the end

Tchuus,
Guennadi Vanine
"Martin Brenda" <martin.brenda@martinbrenda.de> wrote in message
news:dq7nl3$po$1@utils.eclipse.org...
>> [1]
>> Terry Chan.
>> Plug a Swing-based development tool into Eclipse
>> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os- swing/#g5
>
> Hallo all,
>
> if you want to shorten the development time and use some code of JaWE the
> best way would be an integration over the Swing-Bridge of Eclipse
> (org.eclipse.swt.awt). We are using the Swing-Bridge in our project and it
> is working really nice. What I don't like about the solution shown on the
> IBM-Site is, that a new Swing-Windows is opening. With the Swing-Bridge
> one can integrate an AWT-Frame in a SWT-Composite (e.g. in the Composite
> of an EditorPart).
>
> But the best solution, in my opinion, would be a new Editor based on GEF
> (e.g. without EMF in the beginning). Because, if you use the Swing-Bridge
> now and create later an new Editor based on GEF you have double work. So
> in my opinion it would be the best to make it right from the beginning.
> GEF is a heavy framework, but I think a simple editor should be doable in
> a few months.
>
> Bye,
> Martin Brenda
>
any fresher exp on GEF with Swing? [message #12986 is a reply to message #10706] Fri, 13 January 2006 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: vgv8.yahoo.com.br

> [1]
> Terry Chan.
> Plug a Swing-based development tool into Eclipse
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os- swing

What does worry me in this reference is the date - 2002
(and IMHO even Eclipse2.x docs/samples are not very good in Eclipse3.x)

Anybody is welcomed to share any first-hand expreience, links, opinions,
plz!

Guennadi Vanine
Re: Eclipse interoperability [message #13042 is a reply to message #10824] Fri, 13 January 2006 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: fabrice.dewasmes.openwide.fr

Martin Brenda wrote:
>>[1]
>>Terry Chan.
>>Plug a Swing-based development tool into Eclipse
>> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os- swing/#g5
>
>
> Hallo all,
>
> if you want to shorten the development time and use some code of JaWE the
> best way would be an integration over the Swing-Bridge of Eclipse
> (org.eclipse.swt.awt). We are using the Swing-Bridge in our project and it
> is working really nice. What I don't like about the solution shown on the
> IBM-Site is, that a new Swing-Windows is opening. With the Swing-Bridge one
> can integrate an AWT-Frame in a SWT-Composite (e.g. in the Composite of an
> EditorPart).

We have already integrated jawe this way indeed. I can put it in the
initial contributions but I know this is not going to be approved by
Eclipse. One responsibility of eclipse projects is to leverage
technologies of Eclipe at large. Using Swing bridge we completely close
the door to everything that makes eclipse.

Fabrice
>
> But the best solution, in my opinion, would be a new Editor based on GEF
> (e.g. without EMF in the beginning). Because, if you use the Swing-Bridge
> now and create later an new Editor based on GEF you have double work. So in
> my opinion it would be the best to make it right from the beginning. GEF is
> a heavy framework, but I think a simple editor should be doable in a few
> months.
>
> Bye,
> Martin Brenda
>
>
Re: any fresher exp on GEF with Swing? [message #13213 is a reply to message #12986] Fri, 13 January 2006 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: martin.brenda.martinbrenda.de

> Anybody is welcomed to share any first-hand expreience, links, opinions,
> plz!

I am working since a few months on this topic. We have a Swing Application
which we want to integrate in Eclipse. We decided to do this in little
steps. One of the first is to integrate the application as far as possible
over the Swing Bridge. And the results are really good. We integrated our
editor, some views, resources and the most actions so far. We hope to
release our Alpha version in February.

The really nice thing is, that we could take allmost all our existing Swing
Wizards and so on from the old application. Only some wizards for Project
and new Resource creation had be made new. The communication between AWT /
Swing and SWT is also runnig well. All events (Mouse, Keys..) are being
transfered from one toolkit to the other. The only problem is the
synchronization of the Swing and SWT thread. You often get "Invalid thread
access" messages. But this is solvable.

Gentleware also integrated their modelling tool Poseidon in Eclipse over the
Swing-Bridge. If you wanna see how it looks like, here the download page:
http://gentleware.com/downloadcenter.0.html

You need the Professional version. Their integration is not so nice (I think
they did it really fast). But I think they work on it in the future. But
here you can see that it works ;-)

Here are also some links:

http://eclipsewiki.editme.com/CallingSwingFromSWT

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.swt.sni ppets/src/org/eclipse/swt/snippets/Snippet135.java?rev=HEAD& amp;content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup&only_with_tag=H EAD

http://www.logemann.org/day/archives/000008.html

Bye,
Martin Brenda
Re: Eclipse interoperability [message #13241 is a reply to message #13042] Fri, 13 January 2006 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: martin.brenda.martinbrenda.de

> We have already integrated jawe this way indeed. I can put it in the
> initial contributions but I know this is not going to be approved by
> Eclipse. One responsibility of eclipse projects is to leverage
> technologies of Eclipe at large. Using Swing bridge we completely close
> the door to everything that makes eclipse.

The only reason why Eclipse wouldn't approve this solution is because they
are favourising SWT and there's are war between this two frameworks ;-) It's
all politics!
Re: Eclipse interoperability [message #13266 is a reply to message #13042] Fri, 13 January 2006 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: fabrice.dewasmes.openwide.fr

Fabrice Dewasmes wrote:
> Martin Brenda wrote:
>
>>> [1]
>>> Terry Chan.
>>> Plug a Swing-based development tool into Eclipse
>>> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os- swing/#g5
>>
>>
>>
>> Hallo all,
>>
>> if you want to shorten the development time and use some code of JaWE
>> the best way would be an integration over the Swing-Bridge of Eclipse
>> (org.eclipse.swt.awt). We are using the Swing-Bridge in our project
>> and it is working really nice. What I don't like about the solution
>> shown on the IBM-Site is, that a new Swing-Windows is opening. With
>> the Swing-Bridge one can integrate an AWT-Frame in a SWT-Composite
>> (e.g. in the Composite of an EditorPart).
>
>
> We have already integrated jawe this way indeed. I can put it in the
> initial contributions but I know this is not going to be approved by
> Eclipse. One responsibility of eclipse projects is to leverage
> technologies of Eclipe at large. Using Swing bridge we completely close
> the door to everything that makes eclipse.
>
> Fabrice

OK please see
https://forge.openwide.fr/frs/download.php/85/OpenWide-JaWES wing-contribution.zip

This is our integration of JaWE inside eclipse.


Fabrice
>
>>
>> But the best solution, in my opinion, would be a new Editor based on
>> GEF (e.g. without EMF in the beginning). Because, if you use the
>> Swing-Bridge now and create later an new Editor based on GEF you have
>> double work. So in my opinion it would be the best to make it right
>> from the beginning. GEF is a heavy framework, but I think a simple
>> editor should be doable in a few months.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Martin Brenda
>>
JaWE in Eclipse as JWT milestone M0 [message #13294 is a reply to message #13241] Fri, 13 January 2006 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: vgv8.yahoo.com.br

My vote (do I have one?) is to make such proposal.
Whether approved or not , the results will be positive to all
(and not only to Big Blues in using open source teams for their testing
team)

Would I be impolite to other contributors, if I propose to consider/move
this to
milestome M0 of JWT?

I believe its architecture is flexible or may be adjusted for other
proposals, models as tabbed views, export/import or as plug-ins like Eclipse
itself. At least, I see in this way cooperation in JWT

I also proposed my company to release the code of our Wf Designer to JWT but
only from politeness - it doesn't have documentation/help and ... I cannot
tell more in order to be
impolite to my employer.

I guess that any other contributor do not have such maturity as JaWE. Just
guess

BTW, it is impossible to get known about this forum from www.eclipse.org
except of loading a list of newsgroups for any other original purpose.

As a matter of fact, I already saw this project as some kamikaze under
eclipse.org. That is why I initially even did not try to post here for some
time.

Guennadi Vanine
"Martin Brenda" <martin.brenda@martinbrenda.de> wrote in message
news:dq82ri$kas$1@utils.eclipse.org...
>> We have already integrated jawe this way indeed. I can put it in the
>> initial contributions but I know this is not going to be approved by
>> Eclipse. One responsibility of eclipse projects is to leverage
>> technologies of Eclipe at large. Using Swing bridge we completely close
>> the door to everything that makes eclipse.
>
> The only reason why Eclipse wouldn't approve this solution is because they
> are favourising SWT and there's are war between this two frameworks ;-)
> It's all politics!
thanks to M&F!!! [message #13410 is a reply to message #13266] Fri, 13 January 2006 15:43 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: vgv8.yahoo.com.br

I am little bit confused in hierarchy of posts and feel that I exceeded my
limits of postings.

I just do not know how to adequately pass my thanks to Fabrice and Martin
for their time and help.

I am still thinking

Guennadi Vanine
"Fabrice Dewasmes" <fabrice.dewasmes@openwide.fr> wrote in message
news:dq830a$kk9$1@utils.eclipse.org...
> Fabrice Dewasmes wrote:
>> Martin Brenda wrote:
Previous Topic:How to be really generic...
Next Topic:rewrite the XPDL Model CODE ?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Dec 18 21:58:20 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01908 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software