Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Re-naming java packages - non-techie(Re-naming java packages for a non-techie)
Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884649] Mon, 11 June 2012 14:56 Go to next message
Kerry Vince is currently offline Kerry VinceFriend
Hi,

I'm trying to modify an existing openup process to reflect our in-house delivery lifecycle. I am able to make changes easily to the plug-ins and re-define the relationships that exist but I am struggling to make changes to the packages that bundle these plug-ins together into features of the lifecycle such as process, practice and core.

Is there a simple way to achieve this without needing an indepth knowledge of java. I am quick to learn new concepts but I am not a developer and have no experience of java etc.

Thank you Smile
Re: Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884653 is a reply to message #884649] Mon, 11 June 2012 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zack Macomber is currently offline Zack MacomberFriend
Go to Window -> Show View -> Package Explorer. In that view, you can look at your Java packages. Right click on any of them and hover over the "Refactor" choice. You can rename or move that particular package from there.
Re: Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884660 is a reply to message #884653] Mon, 11 June 2012 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your response Zac,

If I create a new java project myself and create a java package, this works great, as the package explorer shows the package. In the openup example I downloaded, the package only seems to be visible in the authoring library view. When viewed in package explorer they appears as folders named core.default.cat_def.base etc this naming convention seems to reflect the hierarchy seen in the authoring view.

I can post a screen shot if that would be helpful.
Re: Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884667 is a reply to message #884653] Mon, 11 June 2012 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Screen shot attached - hope this will help Smile
Re: Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884669 is a reply to message #884660] Mon, 11 June 2012 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think a screen shot may be helpful...are you just trying to rename these packages or is there something else you want to do with them?
Re: Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884675 is a reply to message #884669] Mon, 11 June 2012 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Our in house delivery lifecycle if quite different from openup, it is more of a standard waterfall approach. I will need to create a unique set of tasks/ work products which will mean producing new plug-ins but the defined features in openup do not match those that our company will be using.

i.e. Management will not be broken down into iterative development, project process tailoring etc as per openup but our own defined groups such as scope, quality, risk etc.

It makes sense to keep the groups, as this provides a tidy way to view related plug-ins which extend each other but the definitions do not fit with our approach. Re-naming these is a half way house, as the content of the plug-in has not yet been created. Alternatively, if you are able to provide a way to set up these groups on my own, then that would be even better Razz

Re: Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884684 is a reply to message #884649] Mon, 11 June 2012 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 6/11/2012 8:56 AM, Kerry Vince wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to modify an existing openup process to reflect our in-house
> delivery lifecycle. I am able to make changes easily to the plug-ins and
> re-define the relationships that exist but I am struggling to make
> changes to the packages that bundle these plug-ins together into
> features of the lifecycle such as process, practice and core.
> Is there a simple way to achieve this without needing an indepth
> knowledge of java. I am quick to learn new concepts but I am not a
> developer and have no experience of java etc.
>
> Thank you :)

This forum is for questions on how to use the Eclipse integrated
development environment (IDE) and not about using Java. I would suggest
stackoverflow.com for this one.
Re: Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884686 is a reply to message #884675] Mon, 11 June 2012 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Alternatively, if you are able to provide a way to set up these groups on my own, then that would be even better"

I'm not totally sure if I'm following you correctly here (my apologies), but it sounds like you would like to create some new packages (groups) based on the above statement? If this is the case, you can right click on your project and then go to New -> Package. Then you just have to supply an appropriate name for your new package.
Re: Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884694 is a reply to message #884686] Mon, 11 June 2012 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It won't let me add a new package to the openup library that I have downloaded and I would like to use this as a starting point, as some aspects could be useful i.e. role definitions, guidance, views etc.

Has anyone looked at the screenshot I supplied in an earlier post? In the library view the symbol suggests that the plug-ins are packed using java packages. However, in the package explorer view it only shows folders - I need to group my plug-ins, I don't mind how I achieve this.

I am not very technical Sad so I am struggling to explain my problem - the screenshot highlights the differences between the authoring view and package view.

Re: Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884701 is a reply to message #884694] Mon, 11 June 2012 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - I think I see it more clearly now...in order to be able to add new packages, you have to work in a project that you've created yourself. So, you would have to create a new Java project in Eclipse and then you could create packages in that project.
Re: Re-naming java packages - non-techie [message #884702 is a reply to message #884701] Mon, 11 June 2012 16:22 Go to previous message
Thank you everyone for your help - I have the answer that i was looking for now.

It seems plug-ins can be grouped according to the name of the plug-in i.e. core.default.base and core.default.assign would be grouped together under a hierachical view.

Thanks to everyone who helped Smile
Previous Topic:download.eclipse.org repo unavailable?
Next Topic:Problem with deploying an EJB Project.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:37:29 GMT 2024