Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse RCP and web-based GUIs(GUI offline and online...)
Eclipse RCP and web-based GUIs [message #875206] Tue, 22 May 2012 10:14 Go to next message
Jean-Luc Picard is currently offline Jean-Luc PicardFriend
Hi all,

is it possible to build web-based GUIs with the Eclipse Rich Client Platform ?

For example I have an existing software project that uses RCP, can I transform / compile / exchange the GUI to a HTML/JS/CSS frontend gui ?

Does RCP use a layer that I can replace ?

I see there is a Rich Ajax Platform (RAP) but I don't want to duplicate / rewrite the whole code.

Thank you very much.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 May 2012 10:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse RCP and web-based GUIs [message #876579 is a reply to message #875206] Thu, 24 May 2012 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Did you already take a look at Eclipse Scout (www.eclipse.org/scout)?

Eclipse Scout is an Eclipse project providing RCP applications with a clearly separated GUI layer (Swing, SWT and HTML out of the box). As an application developer using Scout you do not have to worry about GUI trends. If tomorrow Swing is "a little bit old school" and JavaFX is the way to go Scout will provide a full featured GUI layer for you application model. Probably it is worth to take a look at Eclipse Scout. I'm currently working on a migration of a huge application (approx. 600 forms) to Eclipse Scout. This step is done in order to have a clearly application model, a service oriented architecture and a multi fronted strategy.

-andreas
Re: Eclipse RCP and web-based GUIs [message #877120 is a reply to message #876579] Fri, 25 May 2012 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jean-Luc Picard is currently offline Jean-Luc PicardFriend
Thank you for the hint. Can't find any Eclipse RCP <-> web/html example app.

Same on RAP website. Its funny, devs tell us what we can do with their frameworks but they don't offer any example app.

Do you know one ?
Re: Eclipse RCP and web-based GUIs [message #879612 is a reply to message #877120] Thu, 31 May 2012 14:13 Go to previous message
ief cuynen is currently offline ief cuynenFriend
Hi Jean-Luc,

You can check out our SmartApps youtube channel. It features a full featured RAP demo.

apparently you cannot use links in a post until you have posted at least 25 messages.
So checkout Youtube and search for 'Eclipse RAP demo'

It should be the first result

Have fun

grtz
Ief Cuynen
Previous Topic:Eclipse hangs when I'm running a script
Next Topic:Eclipse and SVN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:38:09 GMT 2024