Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » missing counters while monitoring perfmon
missing counters while monitoring perfmon [message #114817] Wed, 10 October 2007 01:45 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: christian.curie.wanadoo.fr

Hello,

I'm new to tptp and want to use it for data collection and visualization.

I desperately tried to get and see data from the integrated Windows System
Perfmon Agent:
I can successfully start the agent (Profiling Monitor View->Start
Monitoring), so that the PerfmonAgent is displayed in the Agent Control
View. But no counters are visible as documented in the help.
In the status bar, I can see a running timer counter without any data
movement (Processed: 0 bytes, bytes/second: 0, events processed: 0,
events/second: 0, elapsed time: xxx seconds)

I'm using eclipse 3.3.1 with TPTP 4.4.0.3 on Windows XP SP2 and Java
1.6.0.2.

I have made a lot of different tests without success:
- using IAC or RAC
- using different ports: 10002 to 10006
- deactivation of the firewall
- java 1.5
- other XP machines
- ...

Please give me a hint why I cannot configure any counter: is a simple
configuration step in Windows XP or Eclipse necessary or can the problem
be more complex?

Thanks in advance
Christian
Please help! Missing counters when monitoring with Windows System Perfmon Agent [message #115196 is a reply to message #114817] Wed, 10 October 2007 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: christian.curie.wanadoo.fr

Hello,

I found the following entries in the file servicelog.log (see entries at
the end of this posting).

Does "Agent not found PerfmonAgent" mean, that the agent is missing?

Two entries before, this agent seems successfully to have connected to the
AC
("Incoming connection request from agent PerfmonAgent in process" and
"Registered Agent e4bf70a9-1d65-419b-80b1-fe0179bb597d").

I downloaded TPTP all-in-one package for Windows, must I change something
to get Perfmon monitoring running?

Thanks in advance
Christian




<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2007-10-10T19:21:08.062000Z"
globalInstanceId="AA8F8779EB8C418BAD043C14385F8197" msg="Received command
for unrecognized interface: iid=org.eclipse.tptp.eventProvider,
cmd=listenerAccepted" severity="50" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController"
componentIdType="TPTPComponent"
executionEnvironment=" D:\cygwin\home\build\TPTP\4.4.0.3\TPTP-4.4.0.3-200709261752\ agntctrl\src\transport\TPTPClientCompTL\Connect2AC.c,
line 2238" instanceId="1004" location="Turion64_1600" locationType="IPV4"
processId="856" subComponent="Client Compatibility TL" threadId="3012"
componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>
<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2007-10-10T19:21:09.312000Z"
globalInstanceId="A6EB5E9823744E11B64371830C87A04A" msg="Received PUT_FILE
command from client" severity="10" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController"
componentIdType="TPTPComponent"
executionEnvironment=" D:\cygwin\home\build\TPTP\4.4.0.3\TPTP-4.4.0.3-200709261752\ agntctrl\src\transport\TPTPClientCompTL\RACmdHandlers.c,
line 877" instanceId="1004" location="Turion64_1600" locationType="IPV4"
processId="856" subComponent="Client Compatibility TL" threadId="3236"
componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>
<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2007-10-10T19:21:10.484000Z"
globalInstanceId="A1FD1FE59A8D4404AD8C55330A97A231" msg="File server
started listening on port 10005" severity="10" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController"
componentIdType="TPTPComponent"
executionEnvironment=" D:\cygwin\home\build\TPTP\4.4.0.3\TPTP-4.4.0.3-200709261752\ agntctrl\src\transport\TPTPClientCompTL\fileServer.c,
line 177" instanceId="1004" location="Turion64_1600" locationType="IPV4"
processId="856" subComponent="Client Compatibility TL" threadId="2240"
componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>
<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2007-10-10T19:21:10.781000Z"
globalInstanceId="A95480DC4141425FB88190145B4F6A91" msg="Received PUT_FILE
command from client" severity="10" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController"
componentIdType="TPTPComponent"
executionEnvironment=" D:\cygwin\home\build\TPTP\4.4.0.3\TPTP-4.4.0.3-200709261752\ agntctrl\src\transport\TPTPClientCompTL\RACmdHandlers.c,
line 877" instanceId="1004" location="Turion64_1600" locationType="IPV4"
processId="856" subComponent="Client Compatibility TL" threadId="3236"
componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>
<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2007-10-10T19:21:11.750000Z"
globalInstanceId="A8841CCF6CDD47AC8A88BC1EC2D73816" msg="CONSOLE LAUNCHED
COMMAND for connection(5001). " severity="50" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController"
componentIdType="TPTPComponent"
executionEnvironment=" D:\cygwin\home\build\TPTP\4.4.0.3\TPTP-4.4.0.3-200709261752\ agntctrl\src\transport\namedPipeTL\namedPipeListener.c,
line 564" instanceId="1002" location="Turion64_1600" locationType="IPV4"
processId="856" subComponent="Named Pipe TL" threadId="2948"
componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>
<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2007-10-10T19:21:11.953000Z"
globalInstanceId="A557F5939E2245EB9DDE851EAE4FD97E" msg="Incoming
connection request from agent PerfmonAgent in process 3412 with uuid
e4bf70a9-1d65-419b-80b1-fe0179bb597d" severity="10" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController"
componentIdType="TPTPComponent"
executionEnvironment=" D:\cygwin\home\build\TPTP\4.4.0.3\TPTP-4.4.0.3-200709261752\ agntctrl\src\transport\TPTPAgentCompTL\RACmdHandlers.c,
line 42" instanceId="1005" location="Turion64_1600" locationType="IPV4"
processId="856" subComponent="Agent Compatibility TL" threadId="2816"
componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>
<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2007-10-10T19:21:11.953000Z"
globalInstanceId="AE6D89B3EC9E48A283757DF0C0361DC3" msg="Registered Agent
e4bf70a9-1d65-419b-80b1-fe0179bb597d." severity="10" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController"
componentIdType="TPTPComponent"
executionEnvironment=" D:\cygwin\home\build\TPTP\4.4.0.3\TPTP-4.4.0.3-200709261752\ agntctrl\src\transport\TPTPAgentCompTL\RACmdHandlers.c,
line 99" instanceId="1005" location="Turion64_1600" locationType="IPV4"
processId="856" subComponent="Agent Compatibility TL" threadId="2816"
componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>
<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2007-10-10T19:21:11.968000Z"
globalInstanceId="AD8C926FD82E4677AA3EB4A2E1B786F1" msg="Agent not found
PerfmonAgent &#xA;" severity="10" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController"
componentIdType="TPTPComponent"
executionEnvironment=" D:\cygwin\home\build\TPTP\4.4.0.3\TPTP-4.4.0.3-200709261752\ agntctrl\src\transport\TPTPAgentCompTL\AgentCmdHandlers.c,
line 376" instanceId="1005" location="Turion64_1600" locationType="IPV4"
processId="856" subComponent="Agent Compatibility TL" threadId="2816"
componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>
<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2007-10-10T19:21:13.968000Z"
globalInstanceId="A0EF0A6D16674AA7BEC7420A22237F3A" msg="Preparing Agent
active" severity="10" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController"
componentIdType="TPTPComponent"
executionEnvironment=" D:\cygwin\home\build\TPTP\4.4.0.3\TPTP-4.4.0.3-200709261752\ agntctrl\src\transport\TPTPClientCompTL\RACmdHandlers.c,
line 653" instanceId="1004" location="Turion64_1600" locationType="IPV4"
processId="856" subComponent="Client Compatibility TL" threadId="3236"
componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>
Re: Please help! Missing counters when monitoring with Windows System Perfmon Agent [message #115210 is a reply to message #115196] Thu, 11 October 2007 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Igor Alelekov is currently offline Igor Alelekov
Messages: 139
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Christian,
This is strange log fragment: You are using jvm 1.6, but log shows JVMPI
profiler activity.
Could you please describe your use case in details, step by step.
Please send me servicelog.log file with DEBUG level to
igor.alelekov@intel.com (intel com)?
Regards,
Igor
Re: Please help! Missing counters when monitoring with Windows System Perfmon Ag [message #115276 is a reply to message #115210] Thu, 11 October 2007 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: christian.curie.wanadoo.fr

Hi Igor,

Thank you for your answer.

>Please send me servicelog.log file with DEBUG level
Please confirm me the receiption of the servicelog.log file. The web
access of my provider is not very reliable!

>Could you please describe your use case in details, step by step.

I started with a fresh copy of a TPTP all-in-one package for Windows.
In the Profile Dialog, I created a new Statistical Configuration.
There, in the host tab, I can see localhost: 10002
In the Agent Tab, I chose Windows System Trace (Perfmon)
In the Setting Tab, I can see Remote Hostname: localhost and let Username
and Password empty.
I let the default default values of the Destination and Common Tabs
unchanged.

Then I first pressed the "Apply" and then the "Profile" buttons,
before I started the "Start Monitoring" button in the "Profiling Monitor"
view

Now the issue of my previous postings is visible:
The PerfmonAgent is displayed in the Agent Control View without any
visible counters and a status bar output without any data movement.

I ended the test with pressing the "Terminate" button in the "Profiling
Monitor" view.

I made the same test on another XP machine with java 1.6 with the same
issue.
But on a Windows 2000 machine, monitoring with perfmon works well.

Additional info: profiling on my machine works well.

Regards,
Christian
Re: Please help! Missing counters when monitoring with Windows System Perfmon Ag [message #115302 is a reply to message #115276] Fri, 12 October 2007 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Igor Alelekov is currently offline Igor Alelekov
Messages: 139
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Christian,
I haven't found problems in the log file.
It might be useful to test a last TPTP 4.4.1 build instead of 4.4.0.3.
Actually, I'm not involved in the Monitoring project, may be Monitoring
guys could help you.
Regards,
Igor
Re: Please help! Missing counters when monitoring with Windows System Perfmon Ag [message #115419 is a reply to message #115302] Sun, 14 October 2007 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: christian.curie.wanadoo.fr

Hi Igor,

>It might be useful to test a last TPTP 4.4.1 build instead of 4.4.0.3.
It don't works too!

I passed a long and frustating week-end:

The only platform with which I managed to see operating systems
performance counters (with the current Eclipse 3.3.1 and TPTP 4.4.0.3
versions) was Windows 2000!

I failed seeing them both with Windows XP/Vista and Linux Debian/Suse.
Windows XP and Vista showed the same behaviour which I described in my
previous postings.
With the Linux platforms I did not come so far. The Profile Monitor View
remained empty
with one of a servicelog.log entries "Client compatibility transport layer
received an error command: &quot;Unable to Start Process : File Not Found
or Not Executable&quot;"

The only thing I wanted was a working TPTP Eclipse to develop a
statistical agent!
For this I needed a working default system, and the only one provided from
TPTP with a statistical agent was the one for measuring operating system
counters. Or does TPTP provide other statistical agents which can be used
to test the statistical profile and logging views?

Fortunately I found the posting
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tptp/msg02112. html from Paul
Slauenwhite in answer to Jeff Norris with a link to a working statistical
agent for a current Eclipse TPTP system with which I was able to see and
configure counters with my XP machine! (Notice: with the Eclipse 3.1.2
system with TPTP 4.1.0.1 used in
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/conferences/eclip seCon2006/EclipseCon_2006_Tutorial_22_Source_Code_Paul_Slaue nwhite.zip
I was able to see and configure perfmon counters, but the
DemoStatisticalAgent was not working).

>Actually, I'm not involved in the Monitoring project, may be Monitoring guys
could help you.

Ok, nevertheless, thank you for your help.

@ Monitoring guys
Please have a look at the perfmon agents particularly for Windows systems.
I tested them with different computers with the same effect, I am not a
TPTP expert, but it seems for me to be general problem.

By the way, it would be nice if you could provide an example project with
a statistical agent for the new agent interfaces and classes. I think the
TimeCollector could therefore be a good place for it without generating
too much work for you: it would be realy great if it could be visible in
the Eclipse workspace with some counters and log events!

Please excuse my poor English, but I think that my experiences could
perhaps be useful for someone.

At least I have now a system with which I can work and I am waiting
impatiently for the next versions and documentations of TPTP.

Regards
Christian
Re: Please help! Missing counters when monitoring with Windows System Perfmon Ag [message #127517 is a reply to message #115419] Fri, 28 March 2008 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holger Machens is currently offline Holger Machens
Messages: 57
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Christian,


I had a similar problem.
Have you tried running it as administrator? This works well for me.


Greetings
Holger

Christian Curie schrieb:
> Hi Igor,
>
>> It might be useful to test a last TPTP 4.4.1 build instead of 4.4.0.3.
> It don't works too!
>
> I passed a long and frustating week-end:
>
> The only platform with which I managed to see operating systems
> performance counters (with the current Eclipse 3.3.1 and TPTP 4.4.0.3
> versions) was Windows 2000!
>
> I failed seeing them both with Windows XP/Vista and Linux Debian/Suse.
> Windows XP and Vista showed the same behaviour which I described in my
> previous postings.
> With the Linux platforms I did not come so far. The Profile Monitor View
> remained empty
> with one of a servicelog.log entries "Client compatibility transport
> layer received an error command: &quot;Unable to Start Process : File
> Not Found or Not Executable&quot;"
>
> The only thing I wanted was a working TPTP Eclipse to develop a
> statistical agent!
> For this I needed a working default system, and the only one provided
> from TPTP with a statistical agent was the one for measuring operating
> system counters. Or does TPTP provide other statistical agents which can
> be used to test the statistical profile and logging views?
>
> Fortunately I found the posting
> http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tptp/msg02112. html from
> Paul Slauenwhite in answer to Jeff Norris with a link to a working
> statistical agent for a current Eclipse TPTP system with which I was
> able to see and configure counters with my XP machine! (Notice: with the
> Eclipse 3.1.2 system with TPTP 4.1.0.1 used in
> http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/conferences/eclip seCon2006/EclipseCon_2006_Tutorial_22_Source_Code_Paul_Slaue nwhite.zip
> I was able to see and configure perfmon counters, but the
> DemoStatisticalAgent was not working).
>
>> Actually, I'm not involved in the Monitoring project, may be
>> Monitoring guys
> could help you.
>
> Ok, nevertheless, thank you for your help.
>
> @ Monitoring guys
> Please have a look at the perfmon agents particularly for Windows
> systems. I tested them with different computers with the same effect, I
> am not a TPTP expert, but it seems for me to be general problem.
>
> By the way, it would be nice if you could provide an example project
> with a statistical agent for the new agent interfaces and classes. I
> think the TimeCollector could therefore be a good place for it without
> generating too much work for you: it would be realy great if it could be
> visible in the Eclipse workspace with some counters and log events!
>
> Please excuse my poor English, but I think that my experiences could
> perhaps be useful for someone.
>
> At least I have now a system with which I can work and I am waiting
> impatiently for the next versions and documentations of TPTP.
> Regards Christian
>
Re: Please help! Missing counters when monitoring with Windows System Perfmon Ag [message #128044 is a reply to message #127517] Sun, 06 April 2008 18:23 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: christian.curie.wanadoo.fr

Hi Holger,

Thank you for the reply, after all this time I did not expect any more
answers.

> Have you tried running it as administrator? This works well for me.
Yes, but it did not work for me.

I made some tests with netstat, because I suppose that the missing data is
related with a network or TCP/IP problem. During my tests on my XP machine
the firewall was always turned off.
I'm not a TCP/IP expert, perhaps someone can give me a hint what is going
wrong on my machine?


When I push the "Test connection" button for localhost:10002, netstat prints
the following output.

Aktive Verbindungen

Proto Lokale Adresse Remoteadresse Status
TCP <computername>:1036 localhost:10002 HERGESTELLT
TCP <computername>:10002 localhost:1036 HERGESTELLT

But then I push the "Profile" button, netstat prints a list, which is
growing in time:

Aktive Verbindungen

Proto Lokale Adresse Remoteadresse Status
TCP <computername>:epmap localhost:1658 WARTEND
TCP <computername>:epmap localhost:1659 WARTEND
....
TCP <computername>:epmap localhost:1722 WARTEND
TCP <computername>:epmap localhost:pptp WARTEND
TCP <computername>:epmap localhost:1724 WARTEND
....
TCP <computername>:epmap localhost:1724 WARTEND
....
TCP <computername>:1046 localhost:10002 HERGESTELLT
TCP <computername>:1047 localhost:1050 HERGESTELLT
TCP <computername>:1050 localhost:1047 HERGESTELLT
TCP <computername>:1051 localhost:1052 HERGESTELLT
TCP <computername>:1052 localhost:1051 HERGESTELLT
TCP <computername>:1720 localhost:epmap WARTEND
TCP <computername>:1777 localhost:epmap WARTEND
TCP <computername>:10002 localhost:1046 HERGESTELLT

The number of processed bytes remains 0, even after minutes of running.

Where does all these connections come from and why is port 10005 missing?
Any idea what is happening?

Regards
Christian


"Holger Machens" <machens@informatik.fh-wiesbaden.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:fsj0bb$nbn$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Hi Christian,
>
>
> I had a similar problem.
> Have you tried running it as administrator? This works well for me.
>
>
> Greetings
> Holger
>
> Christian Curie schrieb:
>> Hi Igor,
>>
>>> It might be useful to test a last TPTP 4.4.1 build instead of 4.4.0.3.
>> It don't works too!
>>
>> I passed a long and frustating week-end:
>>
>> The only platform with which I managed to see operating systems
>> performance counters (with the current Eclipse 3.3.1 and TPTP 4.4.0.3
>> versions) was Windows 2000!
>>
>> I failed seeing them both with Windows XP/Vista and Linux Debian/Suse.
>> Windows XP and Vista showed the same behaviour which I described in my
>> previous postings.
>> With the Linux platforms I did not come so far. The Profile Monitor View
>> remained empty
>> with one of a servicelog.log entries "Client compatibility transport
>> layer received an error command: &quot;Unable to Start Process : File Not
>> Found or Not Executable&quot;"
>>
>> The only thing I wanted was a working TPTP Eclipse to develop a
>> statistical agent!
>> For this I needed a working default system, and the only one provided
>> from TPTP with a statistical agent was the one for measuring operating
>> system counters. Or does TPTP provide other statistical agents which can
>> be used to test the statistical profile and logging views?
>>
>> Fortunately I found the posting
>> http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tptp/msg02112. html from
>> Paul Slauenwhite in answer to Jeff Norris with a link to a working
>> statistical agent for a current Eclipse TPTP system with which I was able
>> to see and configure counters with my XP machine! (Notice: with the
>> Eclipse 3.1.2 system with TPTP 4.1.0.1 used in
>> http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/conferences/eclip seCon2006/EclipseCon_2006_Tutorial_22_Source_Code_Paul_Slaue nwhite.zip I
>> was able to see and configure perfmon counters, but the
>> DemoStatisticalAgent was not working).
>>
>>> Actually, I'm not involved in the Monitoring project, may be Monitoring
>>> guys
>> could help you.
>>
>> Ok, nevertheless, thank you for your help.
>>
>> @ Monitoring guys
>> Please have a look at the perfmon agents particularly for Windows
>> systems. I tested them with different computers with the same effect, I
>> am not a TPTP expert, but it seems for me to be general problem.
>>
>> By the way, it would be nice if you could provide an example project with
>> a statistical agent for the new agent interfaces and classes. I think the
>> TimeCollector could therefore be a good place for it without generating
>> too much work for you: it would be realy great if it could be visible in
>> the Eclipse workspace with some counters and log events!
>>
>> Please excuse my poor English, but I think that my experiences could
>> perhaps be useful for someone.
>>
>> At least I have now a system with which I can work and I am waiting
>> impatiently for the next versions and documentations of TPTP. Regards
>> Christian
>>
Previous Topic:editing AGR test script using normal editors
Next Topic:TPTP, weblogic, "AccessViolation"
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Jul 28 14:45:12 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.15096 seconds