Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Bundle deployment questions
Bundle deployment questions [message #873527] Fri, 18 May 2012 12:45 Go to next message
Thomas Kratz is currently offline Thomas KratzFriend
It's been a while since I have been on this forum. For today I have some ideas I plan to try on the weekend. I think of running apache sling on virgo Smile sling comes with the ability to install bundles fom a jcr repository into a running osgi platform. what i found is that the osgi mechanisms won't go through the virgo deployment chain. So would going the MBean way from inside a running application be the right way to do this?

Another question I have is about the p2 support in virgo. Will I be at any time able to provision a user repository with p2 or is p2 support meant for virgo itself only?
I sadly read the there are no intentions of having p2 in the repository chain. What are the reasons for this (feel free to point me to bugzillas Smile

Any Feedback will be appreciated.
Re: Bundle deployment questions [message #873816 is a reply to message #873527] Sat, 19 May 2012 06:41 Go to previous message
Borislav Kapukaranov is currently offline Borislav KapukaranovFriend
Hi Thomas,

Probably the MBean would be the way to go if you want to go through the chain.

On the p2 side - currently standard p2 provisioning is only available for the kernel region, which is p2 managed i.e. has a p2 profile, etc.
The user region is brought in as a resource during installation, so p2 has no knowledge what is in there. In principle you can replace the user region content the same way it was created, by advicing p2 to remove the old content and copy the new one. But you have to code that on your own in a p2.inf placed in the resource bundle that will contain the new content.
At the moment we don't provide a convenient mechanism for this. The standard way of extending the user region so far is through the deployment chain and the Virgo repositories.

As for p2 repo support in the repo chain, we don't have immediate plans for it - won't happen in 3.5, but it is surely in the pipeline so it will probably happen sometime post 3.5.
Here's the bug for it: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=309778

Best Regards
Bobby
Previous Topic:Weird bundle export problem (manifest being overwritten)
Next Topic:3.5.0M4 Blueprint extender failing to create context
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:52:11 GMT 2024