Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Forcing an new line EGL
Forcing an new line EGL [message #872624] Wed, 16 May 2012 13:36 Go to next message
Maarten Bezemer is currently offline Maarten BezemerFriend
I'd like to generate a new line in EGL at the end of a @template operation, but I seem to fail no matter what I try:
[%
@template
operation MyObject doSomething() {
  if(test) {
%]my text[%
  } else {
%]my other text[%
  }
  -- Problem is with this new line:
%]
[%
}
%]

I also tried multiple enters (after the if statement), a [%=out.println()%] or a [%=out.println("\n")%].

In all situations the the new lines are ignored.

If I add a space before the [% ( the one after the new line problem) it works without a problem, but I do not want a space (or anything else) there...

Are there any solutions for this 'problem'?

[Updated on: Wed, 16 May 2012 13:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Forcing an new line EGL [message #872674 is a reply to message #872624] Wed, 16 May 2012 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Horacio Hoyos is currently offline Horacio HoyosFriend

Maarten,

In general (in my experience) M2T languages suffer from couple of restrictions/limitations on how "fine" you can make the generated text look. As a rule of thumb, I personally, focus on the template code to be readable, regardless if the outcome is pretty or not. If the generated text definitely needs to be "pretty" you can create a "pretty printer" which basically is a text parser that takes care of indenting, putting brackets in a new line, making sure empty brackets have a line in between, and such. I know it is probably additional work but as I said, I prefer an understandable template (something I can explain and something others can use and modify/fix) than a beautiful generated code. And at the end of the day u can make the pretty printer once and use it multiple times. I guess using text parsing specific applications would make the job much easier (I have used one in the past but atm I cant recall the name).

Regards,

Horacio Hoyos Rodriguez
EngD Student
University Of York
Re: Forcing an new line EGL [message #877106 is a reply to message #872674] Fri, 25 May 2012 22:13 Go to previous message
Horacio Hoyos is currently offline Horacio HoyosFriend

Section 7.6 of the Epsilon book talks about formatters and how to use them from within EGL!

Horacio Hoyos Rodriguez
EngD Student
University Of York
Previous Topic:Question on multiple validators (for the same object) and fixes
Next Topic:Problem using Epsilon Unit Testing Framework
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Dec 18 23:22:49 GMT 2014