Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit » Can't commit and sometimes not add, but works on the CLI
Can't commit and sometimes not add, but works on the CLI [message #872002] Tue, 15 May 2012 05:28 Go to next message
Ivan V is currently offline Ivan V
Messages: 22
Registered: March 2010
Junior Member
I can't commit and sometimes not add files, but can do these operations on the command line. I get these error messages respectively in an Eclipse dialog:

An internal error occurred
Exception caught during execution of commit command

Failed to add resource to index
Failed to add resource to index
Exception caught during execution of add command

My git files reside in a local directory.

I synchronize the directory to the web server using Unison, usually in that direction. Could that have anything to do with it?

How can I troubleshoot this?
Re: Can't commit and sometimes not add, but works on the CLI [message #874647 is a reply to message #872002] Mon, 21 May 2012 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew Webber
Messages: 198
Registered: December 2010
Senior Member
I don't have knowledge of that specific problem, but here are a few general observations:
Which version of EGit are you using?
Are your clones inside the workspace? This is not recommended.
How did you import the projects into your workspace? I have seen a few threads here recently, which suggest that you can have problems if the projects are imported in a certain way. You could try deleting the projects (but not the copy on disk), and then re-importing.
Matthew

Re: Can't commit and sometimes not add, but works on the CLI [message #874712 is a reply to message #872002] Mon, 21 May 2012 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seiji Komatsu is currently offline Seiji Komatsu
Messages: 1
Registered: May 2012
Junior Member
Hi,

I'm also getting the same problem.

I saw the same message as Ivan's.
I see every time the same message, even after restarting Eclipse,
or disconnecting/reconnecting the project from/to the repos,
or refreshing the project.

Additionally, then I tried to commit from CUI with git command,
possibly no problem reported.

(Warning message is only shown, but I think this is not a problem with this discussion.
Warning message is:
warning: LF will be replaced by CRLF in source/Project/res/values/strings.xml

This is because of the git configuration, that is core.autocrlf=true)

And I say about my env.

Quote:

Are your clones inside the workspace? This is not recommended.


No.

Quote:

How did you import the projects into your workspace?


Firstly outside the project workspace, cloned the repository with git command.
Secondly imported with Eclipse GUI, without copying option.

Additiional Info


  • Eclipse Version: Version: Indigo Service Release 2 Build id: 20120216-1857
  • EGit/JGit Version: 1.3.0.201202151440-r
  • OS: Windows 7 64bit
  • Git command: Cygwin version

Re: Can't commit and sometimes not add, but works on the CLI [message #876048 is a reply to message #874647] Wed, 23 May 2012 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin Rosenberg
Messages: 299
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Matthew Webber skrev 2012-05-21 12.08:
> I don't have knowledge of that specific problem, but here are a few general observations:
> Which version of EGit are you using?
> Are your clones inside the workspace? This is not recommended.
This is a philosophical issue, not a technical one.
> How did you import the projects into your workspace? I have seen a few threads here recently, which suggest that you can have problems if the projects are imported in a
> certain way. You could try deleting the projects (but not the copy on disk), and then re-importing.
> Matthew
>
>
Re: Can't commit and sometimes not add, but works on the CLI [message #876049 is a reply to message #872002] Wed, 23 May 2012 16:05 Go to previous message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin Rosenberg
Messages: 299
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Ivan V skrev 2012-05-15 11.28:
> I can't commit and sometimes not add files, but can do these operations on the command line. I get these error messages respectively in an Eclipse dialog:
>
> An internal error occurred
> Exception caught during execution of commit command
> Failed to add resource to index
> Failed to add resource to index
> Exception caught during execution of add command
> My git files reside in a local directory.
>
> I synchronize the directory to the web server using Unison, usually in that direction. Could that have anything to do with it?
>
> How can I troubleshoot this?

The exceptions leave stack traces that often have useful information about what happened.
You can find then in the Error view or <workspace>/.metadata/.log

-- robin
Previous Topic:Recommended Git Repository layout for multi-project workspace?
Next Topic:jgit git-new-workdir?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Apr 19 21:42:08 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01677 seconds