Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo Tooling M4 Released
Virgo Tooling M4 Released [message #870817] Wed, 09 May 2012 18:58 Go to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Thanks everyone for their patience. We now have an official M4 release, so you won't have to work on the bleeding edge anymore. Sure there is still some stuff that is broken, but now at least it will be predictably broken. Very Happy Seriously, we're pretty happy with how things are coming along, and would really appreciate your feedback on the UI enhancements especially.

You can get the latest at: http://download.eclipse.org/virgo/milestone/tooling.

Here's my blog giving some of the highlights on M4.

http://milesparker.blogspot.ca/2012/05/virgo-tooling-m4.html
Re: Virgo Tooling M4 Released [message #871257 is a reply to message #870817] Fri, 11 May 2012 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rich Mayfield is currently offline Rich MayfieldFriend
Great news! Glad to see support in this area as I've depended upon this heavily in the past. I have been looking forward to working with Virgo 3.5 but dreaded the idea of it without Eclipse IDE support. With that said, and my apologies if this isn't the right forum, I tried the basics of creating a server environment from scratch and ran into problems. I cannot seem to create a server configuration at all.

This is with Eclipse 3.7.2 (downloaded today), the Virgo Tooling support just released, Mac OSX 10.7.4, Java 1.0.6_31, and Virgo 3.6M4.

1) Opened Virgo perspective
2) Clicked on new server wizard...
3) Selected EclipseRT | Virgo Runtime
4) Clicking Add... at this point does nothing.
5) Clicking Configure runtime environments... opens a dialog. I can Add... and Remove, however I cannot Edit... - nothing happens.

Also, when I open Preferences and select Virgo | Repository Browser I get an error dialog.

In the Eclipse IDE log I do see the following a number of times, which seems to correlate to my attempts to edit a runtime environment and open the preference page:

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.virgo.ide.runtime.core.ServerUtils.createDependencyLocator(ServerUtils.java:171)
at org.eclipse.virgo.ide.runtime.core.ServerUtils.createDependencyLocator(ServerUtils.java:159)
at org.eclipse.virgo.ide.runtime.internal.ui.projects.ServerProject.isRuntimeExists(ServerProject.java:137)
at org.eclipse.virgo.ide.runtime.internal.ui.projects.ServerProject.updateWorkspaceProject(ServerProject.java:186)
at org.eclipse.virgo.ide.runtime.internal.ui.projects.ServerProject.<init>(ServerProject.java:69)
at org.eclipse.virgo.ide.runtime.internal.ui.projects.ServerProjectManager.getProject(ServerProjectManager.java:61)
at org.eclipse.virgo.ide.runtime.internal.ui.projects.ServerProjectManager.updateProjects(ServerProjectManager.java:81)
at org.eclipse.virgo.ide.runtime.internal.ui.ServerUiPlugin.start(ServerUiPlugin.java:84)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$1.run(BundleContextImpl.java:711)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:702)
... 113 more
Re: Virgo Tooling M4 Released [message #871258 is a reply to message #871257] Fri, 11 May 2012 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, *that's* not good. I did just create a server and we have this under unit testing I believe so I'm not sure what's happening here. Please raise a bug.
Re: Virgo Tooling M4 Released [message #871297 is a reply to message #871258] Fri, 11 May 2012 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the bug, Rich. It turns out that this was a known issue with server versions.

So everyone, if you've played around with earlier versions of Virgo tooling, please look at: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Tooling#Server_Versions
Re: Virgo Tooling M4 Released [message #881371 is a reply to message #871257] Mon, 04 June 2012 12:28 Go to previous message
Benoit Lafleche is currently offline Benoit LaflecheFriend
I have downloaded the latest STS and Eclipse this week-end and I got the same error when I installed the tooling from the milestone repository. Then I installed the snapshot version and that worked.
Previous Topic:Virgo Startup Problem
Next Topic:Spring Configurable across multitple bundles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:53:23 GMT 2024