Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » Birt logging
Birt logging [message #870527] Tue, 08 May 2012 14:36 Go to next message
Tom Eugelink is currently offline Tom Eugelink
Messages: 807
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
So the newbie is trying to figure out how to get the Birt server going. Got everything setup right, because when I want to open a report:
http://localhost:8080/M2LicenseService/birt?__report=helloworld.rptdesig

I get a nice exception:
org.eclipse.birt.report.exception.ViewerException: The report file : C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\m2license\server\trunk\source\service\src\main\webapp\birt\report/helloworld.rptdesig does not exist or contains errors.

Which is correct. It shows me the path where it is trying to load that report. So I created helloworld.rptdesign with only a label on it and typed the correct URL this time.
http://localhost:8080/M2LicenseService/birt?__report=helloworld.rptdesign

That response confused me, so I figured it would be good to see what is going on and added this to the web.xml.

<context-param>
<param-name>BIRT_VIEWER_LOG_DIR</param-name>
<param-value>/tmp/birtlog</param-value>
</context-param>
<context-param>
<param-name>BIRT_VIEWER_LOG_LEVEL</param-name>
<param-value>FINEST</param-value>
</context-param>

But nothing is written in that folder. Where are my logs going? The other settings (like BIRT_VIEWER_WORKING_FOLDER) are picked up.

Tom
Re: Birt logging [message #870532 is a reply to message #870527] Tue, 08 May 2012 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Eugelink is currently offline Tom Eugelink
Messages: 807
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
> That response confused me, so I figured it would be good to see what is going on and added this to the web.xml.

Forgot to copy the response: "There is no report design object available.".

Found out that it is a version conflict: the report was created with designer 3.7.2, while I have runtime 3.7.1. I still have no logging, though.

Tom
Re: Birt logging [message #870590 is a reply to message #870532] Tue, 08 May 2012 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Tom

How do you have it deployed? I would have expected to see something
with one of the viewer servlet mappings in it ie:

http://localhost:8080/birt/frameset?........


Jason

On 5/8/2012 10:48 AM, tbee wrote:
>> That response confused me, so I figured it would be good to see what
>> is going on and added this to the web.xml.
>
> Forgot to copy the response: "There is no report design object available.".
>
> Found out that it is a version conflict: the report was created with
> designer 3.7.2, while I have runtime 3.7.1. I still have no logging,
> though.
>
> Tom
Re: Birt logging [message #870616 is a reply to message #870590] Wed, 09 May 2012 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Eugelink is currently offline Tom Eugelink
Messages: 807
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
> How do you have it deployed? I would have expected to see something with one of the viewer servlet mappings in it ie:
>
> http://localhost:8080/birt/frameset?........

I've bound the BirtEngineServlet to /birt, got that from some blog that said "all you need to do". And aside from logging into c:/tmp/birtlog I do get my "helloworld", so it is working. No Ajax stuff, but just that.

But I did find a more complex setup with filters, listeners and servlets in the viewer webapp, so my next step is to copy over that and see what happens. It does seem to be quite an overkill; filters and listeners and servlets just to render a report.
Re: Birt logging [message #870805 is a reply to message #870616] Wed, 09 May 2012 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Did you want to try to just deploy viewer? On tomcat it should be just a
copy operation.

Jason

On 5/9/2012 12:47 AM, tbee wrote:
>> How do you have it deployed? I would have expected to see something
>> with one of the viewer servlet mappings in it ie:
>>
>> http://localhost:8080/birt/frameset?........
>
> I've bound the BirtEngineServlet to /birt, got that from some blog that
> said "all you need to do". And aside from logging into c:/tmp/birtlog I
> do get my "helloworld", so it is working. No Ajax stuff, but just that.
>
> But I did find a more complex setup with filters, listeners and servlets
> in the viewer webapp, so my next step is to copy over that and see what
> happens. It does seem to be quite an overkill; filters and listeners and
> servlets just to render a report.
>
>
Re: Birt logging [message #870832 is a reply to message #870805] Wed, 09 May 2012 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Eugelink is currently offline Tom Eugelink
Messages: 807
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 2012-05-09 20:28, Jason Weathersby wrote:
> Did you want to try to just deploy viewer? On tomcat it should be just a copy operation.

It needs to run on glassfish, but I've got Wicket and Jersey already setup, so I need to merge it into my web.xml.

Tom
Re: Birt logging [message #870838 is a reply to message #870832] Wed, 09 May 2012 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Tom

I assume using the tag libraries is not acceptable for your app?

Jason

On 5/9/2012 3:09 PM, tbee wrote:
> On 2012-05-09 20:28, Jason Weathersby wrote:
>> Did you want to try to just deploy viewer? On tomcat it should be just
>> a copy operation.
>
> It needs to run on glassfish, but I've got Wicket and Jersey already
> setup, so I need to merge it into my web.xml.
>
> Tom
>
Re: Birt logging [message #870864 is a reply to message #870838] Thu, 10 May 2012 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Eugelink is currently offline Tom Eugelink
Messages: 807
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 2012-05-09 21:31, Jason Weathersby wrote:
> I assume using the tag libraries is not acceptable for your app?

Since I'm using Wicket, there are no JSP's. That is, I could use them, but it would be an mixing apples and oranges thing. The servlet is preferable. I'm going to work on Birt again today.

Tom
Re: Birt logging [message #870912 is a reply to message #870864] Thu, 10 May 2012 08:54 Go to previous message
Tom Eugelink is currently offline Tom Eugelink
Messages: 807
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 2012-05-10 07:04, tbee wrote:
> On 2012-05-09 21:31, Jason Weathersby wrote:
>> I assume using the tag libraries is not acceptable for your app?
>
> Since I'm using Wicket, there are no JSP's. That is, I could use them, but it would be an mixing apples and oranges thing. The servlet is preferable. I'm going to work on Birt again today.

Ok, I've found the logging; apparently /tmp does not mean the filesystem's root, but somewhere in my project tree.

Seems I've got the servlets running as well. However, I'm finding the impact in my project somewhat severe; the need for axis, the requirement to roll in 70MB for the designer vs the sensitivity for the version (my eclipse plugins were 3.7.2, runtime 3.7.1, but it did not render, so I downloaded the 3.7.1 designer). The fact that some lock is blocking recompilation and I need to do clean builds and glassfish restarts every time.
I'm in doubt if I should continue. Maybe first I'm going to drop the viewer part and see how things fare with just the engine. I do like the power of the engine (based on my reading).

Tom
Previous Topic:Birt mavenization
Next Topic:downgrading plugin to 3.7.1
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Sep 17 05:35:45 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02121 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software