Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Equinox p2 vs. org.eclipse.update.standalone
Equinox p2 vs. org.eclipse.update.standalone [message #112267] Fri, 20 June 2008 12:48 Go to next message
Eugen Reiswich is currently offline Eugen ReiswichFriend
Messages: 35
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi all,

basically I'm trying to add and remove features from my RCP application
and update itself programmatically.

As I'm new to Equinox p2 I wonder now what is the best approach:
there is an org.eclipse.update.standalone API available
( http://help.eclipse.org/stable/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/reference/api/org/eclipse/update/standalone /class-use/InstallCommand.html)
which will perform the steps I need. On the other side I wonder whether
this API will be deprecated as Equinox P2 will be introduced in Eclipse
3.4.

Does it make sence to use the above mentioned API or should I wait for
Eclipse 3.4 and get familiar with Equinox p2? Will the Equinox p2 API have
commands to update, install and uninstall features programmatically?

Regards,
Eugen
Re: Equinox p2 vs. org.eclipse.update.standalone [message #112343 is a reply to message #112267] Mon, 23 June 2008 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: eclipseng.arthorne.com

Eugen, you can continue to use the legacy standalone update application
if you want. However, p2 does have some command line tools that we
recommend you switch to if they suit your needs. See the section
"Installing software with the p2 director application" under Help > Help
Contents.
--


Eugen Reiswich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> basically I'm trying to add and remove features from my RCP application
> and update itself programmatically.
> As I'm new to Equinox p2 I wonder now what is the best approach: there
> is an org.eclipse.update.standalone API available
> ( http://help.eclipse.org/stable/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/reference/api/org/eclipse/update/standalone /class-use/InstallCommand.html)
> which will perform the steps I need. On the other side I wonder whether
> this API will be deprecated as Equinox P2 will be introduced in Eclipse
> 3.4.
>
> Does it make sence to use the above mentioned API or should I wait for
> Eclipse 3.4 and get familiar with Equinox p2? Will the Equinox p2 API
> have commands to update, install and uninstall features programmatically?
>
> Regards,
> Eugen
>
>
>
Re: Equinox p2 vs. org.eclipse.update.standalone [message #112388 is a reply to message #112343] Mon, 23 June 2008 17:05 Go to previous message
Eugen Reiswich is currently offline Eugen ReiswichFriend
Messages: 35
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi John,

thanks for this advise.

John Arthorne wrote:
> Eugen, you can continue to use the legacy standalone update application
> if you want.

Well actually I would like to use p2 in my application as soon as I figure
out how it can be used programmatically.

> However, p2 does have some command line tools that we
> recommend you switch to if they suit your needs.

As I intent to use update/install commands programmatically in my RCP
application I have no idea how the command line is able to help me. Could
you please extend your answer on this.

Thanks,
Eugen
Previous Topic:adding 'Watched Directory'
Next Topic:org.eclipse.equinox.log
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Nov 28 19:51:14 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01595 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software