Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » How To Clean Remnants Of A Plugin
How To Clean Remnants Of A Plugin [message #861179] Sat, 28 April 2012 12:13 Go to next message
Jason TeagleFriend
I had problems with a plugin not updating via the software updater and wanted to uninstall it and start again, but it seems there's no way to uninstall a plugin once it's in there (unless I missed how).

There appears to be nothing left of the plugin in the Eclipse installation's plugins folder, nor in the workspace's .plugins folder, and yet when I try to reinstall the plugin it still flatly refuses because it claims it is already installed. I can only assume it's storing a list of installed plugins in the Windows registry, or more likely in some config file somewhere.

Can anyone help me get rid of this ghost plugin information so I can reinstall it? It's the Android ADT plugin.

I'm using Eclipse Indigo on Windows 7.

The error message is in the attached image. No idea where this error log it talks about is - the .log file in the workspace just repeats what the dialog says.
Re: How To Clean Remnants Of A Plugin [message #861442 is a reply to message #861179] Sat, 28 April 2012 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Jason Teagle wrote on Sat, 28 April 2012 14:13
I had problems with a plugin not updating via the software updater and wanted to uninstall it and start again, but it seems there's no way to uninstall a plugin once it's in there (unless I missed how).

(since this is not specific to JDT you might get better help in the Eclipse Platform forum, e.g., or in the Equinox one).

For a basic answer see http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/tasks-126.htm

Quote:

There appears to be nothing left of the plugin in the Eclipse installation's plugins folder, nor in the workspace's .plugins folder,

In case you manually deleted the plugin jar be prepared to find the installation in a broken state. I'm not sure if uninstalling still works in that state.

best,
Stephan
Re: How To Clean Remnants Of A Plugin [message #861466 is a reply to message #861442] Sat, 28 April 2012 15:30 Go to previous message
Jason TeagleFriend
> (since this is not specific to JDT you might get better help
>in the Eclipse Platform forum, e.g., or in the Equinox one).

(Sorry, I think I might have landed in that forum the other day but the site was on a go-slow. When I came back to the main forum page today, I couldn't seem to see the
right place. I opened the project branch and there were about 300 Smile )

> For a basic answer see [not allowed to insert links due to newbie status]

Thanks - brilliant. (Out of curiosity, why is Uninstall in a rather different place to Install [New Software]? No wonder I couldn't find it!)

Despite me having manually deleted the jar, the uninstall worked perfectly and I was then able to reinstall fully.

Thanks!

Previous Topic:Eclipse 3.7.2 unusable due to frequent lockup
Next Topic:Seeing breakpoints
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:30:00 GMT 2024