Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » EMF wizard, UML2 and package name case(EMF wizard from UML2 model doesn't lowercase package names)
EMF wizard, UML2 and package name case [message #857313] Thu, 26 April 2012 08:53 Go to next message
Patrice Bonnet is currently offline Patrice Bonnet
Messages: 1
Registered: April 2012
Junior Member
The EMF wizard from RationalRose model converts package names to lowercase in the generated model.ecore. This respects the naming convention of java packages.
The EMF wizard from UML2 (exported from MagicDraw) leaves the package name case.
Can anyone explains why the EMF wizard from UML2 doesn't work like the one from Rose ?
Re: EMF wizard, UML2 and package name case [message #857354 is a reply to message #857313] Thu, 26 April 2012 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed Willink
Messages: 3844
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

Whether names should be converted is a highly subjective topic.

The UML genmodel has a variety of PROCESS options for which I think this
behaviour is one.

Use Generator->Show Annotations to see the top level
http://www.eclipse.org/emf/2002/GenModel/importer/org.eclipse.uml2.uml.ecore.importer
annotations in the main editor pane.

Regards

Ed Willink


On 26/04/2012 13:53, Patrice Bonnet wrote:
> The EMF wizard from RationalRose model converts package names to
> lowercase in the generated model.ecore. This respects the naming
> convention of java packages.
> The EMF wizard from UML2 (exported from MagicDraw) leaves the package
> name case.
> Can anyone explains why the EMF wizard from UML2 doesn't work like the
> one from Rose ?
Re: EMF wizard, UML2 and package name case [message #857552 is a reply to message #857354] Thu, 26 April 2012 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed Merks
Messages: 25746
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Ed,

I don't think the case conventions in Ecore are highly subjective. Java
has well-defined conventions and EMF follows those so best that
converters produce the appropriate convention just as it's best for a
generator should generate Java with an appropriate convention.


On 26/04/2012 3:23 PM, Ed Willink wrote:
> Hi
>
> Whether names should be converted is a highly subjective topic.
>
> The UML genmodel has a variety of PROCESS options for which I think
> this behaviour is one.
>
> Use Generator->Show Annotations to see the top level
> http://www.eclipse.org/emf/2002/GenModel/importer/org.eclipse.uml2.uml.ecore.importer
> annotations in the main editor pane.
>
> Regards
>
> Ed Willink
>
>
> On 26/04/2012 13:53, Patrice Bonnet wrote:
>> The EMF wizard from RationalRose model converts package names to
>> lowercase in the generated model.ecore. This respects the naming
>> convention of java packages.
>> The EMF wizard from UML2 (exported from MagicDraw) leaves the package
>> name case.
>> Can anyone explains why the EMF wizard from UML2 doesn't work like
>> the one from Rose ?
>
Re: EMF wizard, UML2 and package name case [message #857594 is a reply to message #857552] Thu, 26 April 2012 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed Willink
Messages: 3844
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Ed

It's not Ecore that subjective. The question is about UML names.

Ecore has a clear Java-like policy.

UML has its own names.

There is a strong view that UML names should be preserved.

There is an equally strong view that once in the Ecore/Java world, UML
names should be converted.

Regards

Ed Willink


On 26/04/2012 17:42, Ed Merks wrote:
> Ed,
>
> I don't think the case conventions in Ecore are highly subjective.
> Java has well-defined conventions and EMF follows those so best that
> converters produce the appropriate convention just as it's best for a
> generator should generate Java with an appropriate convention.
>
>
> On 26/04/2012 3:23 PM, Ed Willink wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Whether names should be converted is a highly subjective topic.
>>
>> The UML genmodel has a variety of PROCESS options for which I think
>> this behaviour is one.
>>
>> Use Generator->Show Annotations to see the top level
>> http://www.eclipse.org/emf/2002/GenModel/importer/org.eclipse.uml2.uml.ecore.importer
>> annotations in the main editor pane.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Ed Willink
>>
>>
>> On 26/04/2012 13:53, Patrice Bonnet wrote:
>>> The EMF wizard from RationalRose model converts package names to
>>> lowercase in the generated model.ecore. This respects the naming
>>> convention of java packages.
>>> The EMF wizard from UML2 (exported from MagicDraw) leaves the
>>> package name case.
>>> Can anyone explains why the EMF wizard from UML2 doesn't work like
>>> the one from Rose ?
>>
Re: EMF wizard, UML2 and package name case [message #857661 is a reply to message #857594] Thu, 26 April 2012 14:53 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed Merks
Messages: 25746
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Ed,

Certainly with XML Schema conversion we record the original names from
the schema; they're very important for producing a conforming XML
serialization from the instances. I don't suppose the same concern
arises for UML... Or maybe it does?


On 26/04/2012 7:27 PM, Ed Willink wrote:
> Hi Ed
>
> It's not Ecore that subjective. The question is about UML names.
>
> Ecore has a clear Java-like policy.
>
> UML has its own names.
>
> There is a strong view that UML names should be preserved.
>
> There is an equally strong view that once in the Ecore/Java world, UML
> names should be converted.
>
> Regards
>
> Ed Willink
>
>
> On 26/04/2012 17:42, Ed Merks wrote:
>> Ed,
>>
>> I don't think the case conventions in Ecore are highly subjective.
>> Java has well-defined conventions and EMF follows those so best that
>> converters produce the appropriate convention just as it's best for a
>> generator should generate Java with an appropriate convention.
>>
>>
>> On 26/04/2012 3:23 PM, Ed Willink wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Whether names should be converted is a highly subjective topic.
>>>
>>> The UML genmodel has a variety of PROCESS options for which I think
>>> this behaviour is one.
>>>
>>> Use Generator->Show Annotations to see the top level
>>> http://www.eclipse.org/emf/2002/GenModel/importer/org.eclipse.uml2.uml.ecore.importer
>>> annotations in the main editor pane.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Ed Willink
>>>
>>>
>>> On 26/04/2012 13:53, Patrice Bonnet wrote:
>>>> The EMF wizard from RationalRose model converts package names to
>>>> lowercase in the generated model.ecore. This respects the naming
>>>> convention of java packages.
>>>> The EMF wizard from UML2 (exported from MagicDraw) leaves the
>>>> package name case.
>>>> Can anyone explains why the EMF wizard from UML2 doesn't work like
>>>> the one from Rose ?
>>>
>
Previous Topic:"Invalid method Code length 67309 in class file org/eclipse/uml2/uml/util/UMLSwitch" and o
Next Topic:Registering Ecore.profile.uml
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Apr 19 23:28:15 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.10162 seconds