Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller
Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller [message #107315] Thu, 02 August 2007 06:50 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: mauro.molinari.cardinis.com

Sorry if the questions I'm going to listen are stupid, but I couldn't
understand these aspects reading the "getting started guide".

First of all, suppose you use the Integrated Agent Controller:
1) is there a "daemon" that starts with Eclipse, that is the IAC?
2) if yes, on which port does it listen to by default? On 10002?
3) can I attach to this daemon using the SampleClient application
bundled with the standalone agent controller ZIP file? (the only reason
why I would like to know is to test if the IAC is working...)

If IAC listens on port 10002:
4) how to change the default port? In Window | Preferences | Profiling
and Logging? But if I change it there, do I have to restart Eclipse for
changes to be applied?
5) what is the correlation between the Profiling and Logging "Agent
Controller local port" and the default hosts listed in "Hosts"? Why if I
change the "Agent Controller local port" and then switch to "Hosts" and
"Test connection", it always says "success"?

Now, suppose I install the standalone Agent Controller:
6) I suppose I can change the default ports by editing
serviceconfig.xml... but: what is the difference between the default
10002 port and the default 10006? Why can I successfully connect to both
10002 and 10006 with SampleClient?
7) what does it happen when I start the standalone agent controller? Is
the IAC automatically disabled by Eclipse? Do I have to restart Eclipse
to make this happen?
8) if so, how does Eclipse find the standalone agent controller? By
trying to connect to the default port? And what happens if I change the
default port for the standalone agent controller? Can't Eclipse find it
anymore and enable again the IAC?
9) how to know if Eclipse is using the IAC or the standalone agent
controller?

Using the standalone agent controller:
10) I downloaded, unzipped, configured and ran the standalone agent
controller as an application (with ACServer) following the instruction
and leaving the default ports. I can successfully run the SampleClient
application. Then I started Eclipse and I suppose it automatically finds
the standalone agent controller. Then, if a create a profiling profile
from a run profile, should Eclipse use the standalone agent controller
now? Or must I create a new profiling profile by attaching to an agent
controller?
11) after I had started and successfully tested the standalone agent
controller, I tried to create a new profiling profile as "Attach to
agent": after adding the host:port configuration (localhost:10002),
switching to Agents I could not see any agents... why?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Mauro.
Re: Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller [message #107328 is a reply to message #107315] Thu, 02 August 2007 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: mauro.molinari.cardinis.com

Sorry for bad English, I wrote in a hurry... :-(

Mauro.
Re: Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller [message #107408 is a reply to message #107315] Thu, 02 August 2007 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valentina Popescu is currently offline Valentina Popescu
Messages: 23
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
There are a few usability improvements that went into TPTP 4.4 ( part of
Europa ) which are related to how IAC/AC works. Starting with TPTP 4.4, the
user doesn't have to manually install/start IAC or AC in order to profile an
application. When a client tries to start a profiling session using the
profiling configuration, the IAC process is started under the cover.

The only time when a user would need to manually install/start AC is when
profiling a remote application. In this case, the AC should be installed and
started on the host where the application being profiled will be running.



So the good news is that you don't have to worry about IAC settings anymore
J



I'll try to answer to your questions below, in case you are still interested
in these details. See sections marked with <vp></vp>


First of all, suppose you use the Integrated Agent Controller:
1) is there a "daemon" that starts with Eclipse, that is the IAC?

<vp>IAC is a process that is automatically started when a user tries to
profile an application from the Eclipse workbench. The process is terminated
when the client Eclipse workbench is closed ( the user doesn't have to worry
about starting/terminating this process ) </vp>
2) if yes, on which port does it listen to by default? On 10002?

<vp>Yes, 10002</vp>
3) can I attach to this daemon using the SampleClient application
bundled with the standalone agent controller ZIP file? (the only reason
why I would like to know is to test if the IAC is working...)

<vp>Yes, but only if the IAC has been started by a profiling session. The
best way to test IAC is to use 'Test Availability' button under the profile
preference page. The SampleClient is best used when running the standalone
agent controller and you don't have a UI available for testing the
connection. </vp>

If IAC listens on port 10002:
4) how to change the default port? In Window | Preferences | Profiling
and Logging? But if I change it there, do I have to restart Eclipse for
changes to be applied?

<vp>Correct for both</vp>
5) what is the correlation between the Profiling and Logging "Agent
Controller local port" and the default hosts listed in "Hosts"? Why if I
change the "Agent Controller local port" and then switch to "Hosts" and
"Test connection", it always says "success"?

<vp>"Agent Controller local port" is used as a default option for port
connection when none is specified by the user. The Hosts page is using the
port specified for the selected host and not the one in the "Agent
Controller local port" option</vp>

Now, suppose I install the standalone Agent Controller:
6) I suppose I can change the default ports by editing
serviceconfig.xml... but: what is the difference between the default
10002 port and the default 10006? Why can I successfully connect to both
10002 and 10006 with SampleClient?

<vp>This is probably a bug; I'll investigate it</vp>
7) what does it happen when I start the standalone agent controller? Is
the IAC automatically disabled by Eclipse? Do I have to restart Eclipse
to make this happen?

<vp> You will not be able to start the standalone agent if IAC has been
started. Same for IAC. If you want to work with the standalone AC but you
can't start it because IAC has been already started, go to the Task Manager
and stop the ACServer.exe process. </vp>
8) if so, how does Eclipse find the standalone agent controller? By
trying to connect to the default port? And what happens if I change the
default port for the standalone agent controller? Can't Eclipse find it
anymore and enable again the IAC?

<vp>Eclipse uses the current running agent controller, if one is running. It
can be either IAC or the standalone agent. If none is running, Eclipse will
start IAC</vp>

9) how to know if Eclipse is using the IAC or the standalone agent
controller?

<vp>It doesn't know, this information is irrelevant. In TPTP 4.4, IAC and AC
are running on the same code base. If you want to specifically run IAC, open
Task Manager, stop ACServer.exe then try to profile an app from the Eclipse
workbench. If you want to use the standalone controller instead, stop
ACServer.exe ( assuming one is running ) and start the standalone controller
from the command line. The Eclipse workbench will not try to start IAC if
one controller is already running - it'll use the active one. </vp>

Using the standalone agent controller:
10) I downloaded, unzipped, configured and ran the standalone agent
controller as an application (with ACServer) following the instruction
and leaving the default ports. I can successfully run the SampleClient
application. Then I started Eclipse and I suppose it automatically finds
the standalone agent controller. Then, if a create a profiling profile
from a run profile, should Eclipse use the standalone agent controller
now? Or must I create a new profiling profile by attaching to an agent
controller?

<vp> When you try to profile an application from the Eclipse workbench, the
client code will try to see if any controller is already started. If one
ACServer.exe process is running then the client code will use this process,
regardless if this is AC or IAC. If none is started, Eclipse will start IAC.
So yes, Eclipse is using the standalone agent controller if this has been
started already </vp>


11) after I had started and successfully tested the standalone agent
controller, I tried to create a new profiling profile as "Attach to
agent": after adding the host:port configuration (localhost:10002),
switching to Agents I could not see any agents... why?

<vp>Probably because no process running in profiling mode is available on
the local host. Or a process is running in profiling mode but a client is
already attached to its profiling agent. Only one client can be attached to
an agent at one moment in time. You'll see the agent in the attached dialog
only if no other client is attached to it. To test the attach wizard, start
an app in profiling mode, then select the agent in the Profiling monitor
view and detach using the Detach action. Open next the attach wizard; you
should see the agent in the agents tab. </vp>

Valentina



"Mauro Molinari" <mauro.molinari@cardinis.com> wrote in message
news:f8sd1a$jpt$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Sorry if the questions I'm going to listen are stupid, but I couldn't
> understand these aspects reading the "getting started guide".
>
> First of all, suppose you use the Integrated Agent Controller:
> 1) is there a "daemon" that starts with Eclipse, that is the IAC?
> 2) if yes, on which port does it listen to by default? On 10002?
> 3) can I attach to this daemon using the SampleClient application bundled
> with the standalone agent controller ZIP file? (the only reason why I
> would like to know is to test if the IAC is working...)
>
> If IAC listens on port 10002:
> 4) how to change the default port? In Window | Preferences | Profiling and
> Logging? But if I change it there, do I have to restart Eclipse for
> changes to be applied?
> 5) what is the correlation between the Profiling and Logging "Agent
> Controller local port" and the default hosts listed in "Hosts"? Why if I
> change the "Agent Controller local port" and then switch to "Hosts" and
> "Test connection", it always says "success"?
>
> Now, suppose I install the standalone Agent Controller:
> 6) I suppose I can change the default ports by editing
> serviceconfig.xml... but: what is the difference between the default 10002
> port and the default 10006? Why can I successfully connect to both 10002
> and 10006 with SampleClient?
> 7) what does it happen when I start the standalone agent controller? Is
> the IAC automatically disabled by Eclipse? Do I have to restart Eclipse to
> make this happen?
> 8) if so, how does Eclipse find the standalone agent controller? By trying
> to connect to the default port? And what happens if I change the default
> port for the standalone agent controller? Can't Eclipse find it anymore
> and enable again the IAC?
> 9) how to know if Eclipse is using the IAC or the standalone agent
> controller?
>
> Using the standalone agent controller:
> 10) I downloaded, unzipped, configured and ran the standalone agent
> controller as an application (with ACServer) following the instruction and
> leaving the default ports. I can successfully run the SampleClient
> application. Then I started Eclipse and I suppose it automatically finds
> the standalone agent controller. Then, if a create a profiling profile
> from a run profile, should Eclipse use the standalone agent controller
> now? Or must I create a new profiling profile by attaching to an agent
> controller?
> 11) after I had started and successfully tested the standalone agent
> controller, I tried to create a new profiling profile as "Attach to
> agent": after adding the host:port configuration (localhost:10002),
> switching to Agents I could not see any agents... why?
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
> Mauro.
Re: Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller [message #107426 is a reply to message #107408] Fri, 03 August 2007 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: mauro.molinari.cardinis.com

Thank you Valentina,
you've been so kind to answer to all my questions. I was wondering if
some of this information is anywhere on the Internet: I would feel very
sorry if it were, as you should have spent much time replying to all my
questions!!!

Anyway, your explanations are very clear, there are just a couple of
aspects I couldn't fully understand.

First of all, the difference between the "Agent controller local port"
and the "Hosts" preference page.

You say:
<vp>"Agent Controller local port" is used as a default option for port
connection when none is specified by the user. The Hosts page is using the
port specified for the selected host and not the one in the "Agent
Controller local port" option</vp>

Maybe I'm missing what are the meanings of:
1) Default profiling project
2) Default hosts
and this might be why I'm not understanding this.

In other words, suppose I have:
a) "Agent controller local port" set to 10007
b) just the default entry "localhost:10002" in Hosts
First of all, if I start a profiling session (without any standalone
agent controller in memory), does the IAC starts using port 10007 or 10002?
If it starts using port 10007, what's the meaning of the only entry in
"Hosts"? And why can't I remove the default "localhost:10002" entry,
while I can just add other entries?

Regarding the standalone agent controller and the two default ports
10002 and 10006: to reproduce the situation, just open two console
windows in <installation-dir>\bin and:
1) in the first one start ACServer
2) in the second one first try "SampleClient localhost 10002", then stop
it and try "SampleClient localhost 10006"
You'll see that the result is the same (same agend ID, same output, etc.).
In <installation-dir>\config\serviceconfig.xml I find two entries:

a) this for port 10006:
<TransportLayer loadlib="socketTL" type="TPTP_SOCKET">
<Configuration>
<Port>10006</Port>
</Configuration>
<CommandExtractor>tptpCmdExtr</CommandExtractor>
</TransportLayer>

b) this for port 10002:
<TransportLayer loadlib="tptpCCTL" type="TPTP_CCTL">
<Configuration>
<Port>10002</Port>
<SecuredPort>10003</SecuredPort>
<FilePort>10005</FilePort>
<IsDataMultiplexed>false</IsDataMultiplexed>
<ProcessPolling>true</ProcessPolling>
<Jvm><-path to jvm.dll-></Jvm>
<Version>4.4.0</Version>
<SecurityEnabled>false</SecurityEnabled>
<Hosts configuration="default">
<Allow host="LOCAL"/>
</Hosts>
</Configuration>
<CommandExtractor>tptpCmdExtr</CommandExtractor>
</TransportLayer>

Both tags are inside <Connection name="Dev"> declaration.

Thanks again,
Mauro.
Re: Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller [message #107723 is a reply to message #107426] Tue, 07 August 2007 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valentina Popescu is currently offline Valentina Popescu
Messages: 23
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Mauro,
All these should be available with the AC documentation

Regarding your questions:
The 'Agent controller local port' preference is used when the port
information is not made available with the profile launch configuration. As
an example, profiling a Java application within your workspace will make use
of this port information since no host/port information is specified with
this launch wizard.
If you profile an application as an external Java app, there is a Host tab
on the launch configuration where you specify the host ( localhost or a
remote machine ) AND the port number. In this case, this port number will be
used to connect to that host, the preference page port will be ignored.

To understand how this work, run this sample :
- Set the preference page port number to be 10007
- Create a java app in your workspace and profile using the 'Java
Application' launch configuration. I got this exception on run : 'Agent
Controller is unavailable under port 10007. Make sure that the service is
started and the port number is correct under preferences.' This proves that
the preference page port is used to connect to the localhost
- on the profile launch configuration dialog create now an External Java
Application configuration. On the Host page you have 'localhost:10002' as
the host for your profiled app. Select a Java app on your localhost and run.
In this case the 10002 port is used as opposed to the 10007 specified on the
preference page and the application is launched successfully. For more
testing, on the host page, create a new host : 'localhost:10009' and try to
profile again. You'll get this exception 'Agent Controller is unavailable
under port 10009. Make sure that the service is started and the port number
is correct under preferences.' Again, the 10009 port was used as opposed to
the 10007 from the preference page.

Valentina


"Mauro Molinari" <mauro.molinari@cardinis.com> wrote in message
news:f8uk8b$6vv$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Thank you Valentina,
> you've been so kind to answer to all my questions. I was wondering if some
> of this information is anywhere on the Internet: I would feel very sorry
> if it were, as you should have spent much time replying to all my
> questions!!!
>
> Anyway, your explanations are very clear, there are just a couple of
> aspects I couldn't fully understand.
>
> First of all, the difference between the "Agent controller local port" and
> the "Hosts" preference page.
>
> You say:
> <vp>"Agent Controller local port" is used as a default option for port
> connection when none is specified by the user. The Hosts page is using the
> port specified for the selected host and not the one in the "Agent
> Controller local port" option</vp>
>
> Maybe I'm missing what are the meanings of:
> 1) Default profiling project
> 2) Default hosts
> and this might be why I'm not understanding this.
>
> In other words, suppose I have:
> a) "Agent controller local port" set to 10007
> b) just the default entry "localhost:10002" in Hosts
> First of all, if I start a profiling session (without any standalone agent
> controller in memory), does the IAC starts using port 10007 or 10002?
> If it starts using port 10007, what's the meaning of the only entry in
> "Hosts"? And why can't I remove the default "localhost:10002" entry, while
> I can just add other entries?
>
> Regarding the standalone agent controller and the two default ports 10002
> and 10006: to reproduce the situation, just open two console windows in
> <installation-dir>\bin and:
> 1) in the first one start ACServer
> 2) in the second one first try "SampleClient localhost 10002", then stop
> it and try "SampleClient localhost 10006"
> You'll see that the result is the same (same agend ID, same output, etc.).
> In <installation-dir>\config\serviceconfig.xml I find two entries:
>
> a) this for port 10006:
> <TransportLayer loadlib="socketTL" type="TPTP_SOCKET">
> <Configuration>
> <Port>10006</Port>
> </Configuration>
> <CommandExtractor>tptpCmdExtr</CommandExtractor>
> </TransportLayer>
>
> b) this for port 10002:
> <TransportLayer loadlib="tptpCCTL" type="TPTP_CCTL">
> <Configuration>
> <Port>10002</Port>
> <SecuredPort>10003</SecuredPort>
> <FilePort>10005</FilePort>
> <IsDataMultiplexed>false</IsDataMultiplexed>
> <ProcessPolling>true</ProcessPolling>
> <Jvm><-path to jvm.dll-></Jvm>
> <Version>4.4.0</Version>
> <SecurityEnabled>false</SecurityEnabled>
> <Hosts configuration="default">
> <Allow host="LOCAL"/>
> </Hosts>
> </Configuration>
> <CommandExtractor>tptpCmdExtr</CommandExtractor>
> </TransportLayer>
>
> Both tags are inside <Connection name="Dev"> declaration.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mauro.
Re: Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller [message #107737 is a reply to message #107315] Tue, 07 August 2007 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Igor Alelekov is currently offline Igor Alelekov
Messages: 139
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Mauro,
as for
"6) I suppose I can change the default ports by editing
serviceconfig.xml... but: what is the difference between the default 10002
port and the default 10006? Why can I successfully connect to both 10002
and 10006 with SampleClient?"

Agent Conntroller supports connections with old clients (default port
10002) and new clients (default 10006). If a new client (SampleClient)
connects to the port 10002 (old clients port) it is redirected to the port
configured for new clients(10006). So both ports are suitable for the
SampleClient.

Regards,
Igor
Re: Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller [message #110286 is a reply to message #107737] Mon, 27 August 2007 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: mauro.molinari.cardinis.com

Igor Alelekov ha scritto:
> Hi Mauro,
> as for "6) I suppose I can change the default ports by editing
> serviceconfig.xml... but: what is the difference between the default
> 10002 port and the default 10006? Why can I successfully connect to both
> 10002 and 10006 with SampleClient?"
>
> Agent Conntroller supports connections with old clients (default port
> 10002) and new clients (default 10006). If a new client (SampleClient)
> connects to the port 10002 (old clients port) it is redirected to the
> port configured for new clients(10006). So both ports are suitable for
> the SampleClient.
>
> Regards,
> Igor

Thank you Igor! Now it's clear.

Mauro.
Re: Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller [message #110298 is a reply to message #107723] Mon, 27 August 2007 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: mauro.molinari.cardinis.com

Valentina Popescu ha scritto:
> Mauro,
> All these should be available with the AC documentation
>
> Regarding your questions:
> The 'Agent controller local port' preference is used when the port
> information is not made available with the profile launch configuration. As
> an example, profiling a Java application within your workspace will make use
> of this port information since no host/port information is specified with
> this launch wizard.
> If you profile an application as an external Java app, there is a Host tab
> on the launch configuration where you specify the host ( localhost or a
> remote machine ) AND the port number. In this case, this port number will be
> used to connect to that host, the preference page port will be ignored.

Thank you Valentina, now it's clear.

Mauro.
Re: Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller [message #110994 is a reply to message #107737] Fri, 31 August 2007 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oliver Schoett is currently offline Oliver Schoett
Messages: 9
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Igor Alelekov wrote:
> Agent Conntroller supports connections with old clients (default port
> 10002) and new clients (default 10006). If a new client (SampleClient)
> connects to the port 10002 (old clients port) it is redirected to the
> port configured for new clients(10006). So both ports are suitable for
> the SampleClient.

Strange, because in Bug 198413, I reported that connecting to port 10006
from a remote client crashes the Linux Agent Controller, and was told
that 10002 is now the correct port to use for both old and new clients
to connect to their Agent Controllers (which would require the
documentation to be updated).

Does this mean the bug has been fixed so that port 10006 works again for
new-style profiling?

Regards,

Oliver Schoett
Re: Some (stupid?) questions about TPTP and Agent Controller [message #111089 is a reply to message #110994] Sat, 01 September 2007 01:23 Go to previous message
Igor Alelekov is currently offline Igor Alelekov
Messages: 139
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Oliver,
sorry if I have messed you :(
All new clients (SampleClient and JVMTI profiler) can connect to both
ports - AC and RAC. Old clients - to RAC port only.
Profiling workbench view consists of TI and PI profilers and intermediate
software (glue) which uses RAC connections.
And although TI profiler can connect to both ports, whole workbench view
currently uses RAC port only.
Regards,
Igor
Previous Topic:NullPointerException from TestSuitesTabularPublicationService class
Next Topic:Agent Controller Server - Sample client
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Jul 24 02:28:15 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02952 seconds