Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » Connection select all question
Connection select all question [message #842815] Thu, 12 April 2012 16:26 Go to next message
Craig Petre is currently offline Craig PetreFriend
Hey, I notice that connections are "children" of a Diagram but aren't included in the collection of children so, in turn, they are not added to the DiagramEditorPart's collection of children, which in the end, results in Connections not being considered for selection during the select all event. This doesn't seem like expected behavior to me, though maybe I am missing something, but if I use CTRL-A I would expect every direct child of the Diagram to be selected. I guess maybe the thought is that connections belong to the anchors to which they are connected and even though they are on the diagram they don't "belong" to the diagram? Should I file a feature request, or would the addition of a feature like this violate some underlying thought about how connections should exist within Graphiti?

Thanks,
Craig

Edit:
A couple use cases that I'm looking to satisfy here:
1. My editor allows certain features to execute on connections, so it would make sense to CTRL-A to select everything then run a feature which executes on all selected connections.
2. Connections in my editor can exist in a "disconnected" state in which they are dangling and connected to anchors which cannot be deleted, unless the connection itself is deleted or the connection is reconnected to a valid target. In this case, using CTRL-A and then running the delete feature will remove all valid targets/sources of the connections in my diagram and leave me with "dangling" connections since the connections themselves were not selected and queued for deletion.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 April 2012 16:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Connection select all question [message #843814 is a reply to message #842815] Fri, 13 April 2012 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Gorning is currently offline Matthias GorningFriend
Hi Craig,

currently CTRL-A works as designed. I think this behavior is suitable for 95% of our customers.

But on the other side I understand your ideas/requests. Perhaps we can make the action behind CTRL-A more configurable (via the IToolBehaviorProvider)

Please open a bugzilla for this.

There is also a related bugzilla https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=341422

BR
Matthias
Re: Connection select all question [message #843891 is a reply to message #843814] Fri, 13 April 2012 13:23 Go to previous message
Craig Petre is currently offline Craig PetreFriend
Thanks Matthias, Bug: 376714
Previous Topic:Graphiti runtime?
Next Topic:Suggestion for 0.9 (sample/tutorial)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:11:41 GMT 2024