Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » gcov plugin - Invalid binary file error(gcov plugin related question)
gcov plugin - Invalid binary file error [message #841033] Tue, 10 April 2012 20:37 Go to next message
Tamas Kleiber is currently offline Tamas KleiberFriend
Hello,

I'm trying to use the gcov eclipse plugin from the eclipse linuxtools group, under windows.

I successfully installed the gcov plugin v0.6.0.201203221532 under eclipse 3.7.2 with CDT 8.0.2

When I double click on one of the gcda or gcno files and select my win32/PE executable built using MinGW in the "Gcov - open coverage results..." dialogue box I get an error messing saying "Invalid binary file - xyz.exe is not a valid binary file."

Are only Linux executable files supported by this plugin? Or am I doing something wrong?
Re: gcov plugin - Invalid binary file error [message #842419 is a reply to message #841033] Thu, 12 April 2012 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xavier Raynaud is currently offline Xavier RaynaudFriend
Hi,

The support for windows is limited.
It "should" work, but has not been heavily tested.

Is your computer 32bits or 64bits ?
Do you have any backtrace related to gcov in the <workspace>/.metadata/.log file ?

Re: gcov plugin - Invalid binary file error [message #848971 is a reply to message #842419] Wed, 18 April 2012 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Xavier,

my operating system is a 32 bit Windows XP Professional SP3.

eclipse.buildId=M20120208-0800
java.version=1.6.0_31
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

My .log file contains nothing related to gcov nor to the error messages I get.

Based on the source code this is the code snippet which fails, in OpenGCDialog::validateBinary():

IBinaryObject binary = STSymbolManager.sharedInstance.getBinaryObject(new Path(binValue));
if (binary == null) {

"binary" is null.

The path to my executable is "c:\workspace\gtest\bin\sample1_unittest.exe". The path should be correct as the file handle tells that my file exists.

I don't know if it matters or not but my executable is built using MinGW/GCC using the following command:

g++ -I./include -g -static -fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage -Wall -Wextra -lpthread -lgcov bin/sample1.o bin/sample1_unittest.o bin/gtest_main.a -o ./bin/sample1_unittest
Re: gcov plugin - Invalid binary file error [message #889789 is a reply to message #848971] Tue, 19 June 2012 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Mabry is currently offline Alex MabryFriend
I had the same problem, and I fixed it by changing my tool chain editor. I had mine set to Linux GCC, but I was using Cygwin. When I changed the toolchain to Cygwin GCC it worked.

Setting is Project Settings->C/C++ Build->Tool Chain Editor->Current Tool Chain
Re: gcov plugin - Invalid binary file error [message #889873 is a reply to message #889789] Wed, 20 June 2012 06:07 Go to previous message
Thank you Alex! This solved my issue too. You are a real life saver Smile
Previous Topic:noob trying to set up C++ IDE
Next Topic:1.0 released!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:11:23 GMT 2024