Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Instructions for participants of the Jubula tutorial at EclipseCon
Instructions for participants of the Jubula tutorial at EclipseCon [message #825978] Wed, 21 March 2012 13:51 Go to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Please use this thread for the preparation for the Jubula tutorial at EclipseCon 2012:

Hello, and thanks for signing up for the Jubula tutorial! To make sure everyone gets the most out of the tutorial (and that we spend as little time as possible on configuration / setup / installation on the day), here are some instructions to get you prepared for the exercises we're going to do.

Step 1: Prepare your computer

1. For the tutorial, Jubula will need to communicate with an embedded database. You don't need to create the database yourself (Jubula will do that for you), but you do need to make sure that there are no firewalls blocking the communication. The database will be created in your home directory. For the sake of ease for the tutorial, we'd recommend deactivating any firewalls on your computer.

2. Jubula is a client-server application. We'll be starting the server component from within Jubula (the embedded Agent) and it will be running from within the <installDir>/jubula directory. Again, make sure no firewalls can be blocking the communication between the client and agent processes. The port number the embedded Agent will be started on is 60000, so make sure that's free. Any other ports required will be dynamically chosen based on availability.

3. Make sure your default Java version is 1.6, i.e. when you type java version in the command line, you should get 1.6.x_xx.

Step 2: Download the Jubula Standalone Version 1.2

1. The version we'll be working on is the standalone in version 1.2 You can get the setup file for your system from the Jubula download page:
http://www.eclipse.org/jubula/download.php
2. Please do not use any other version! The example project has been created with this 1.2 version and cannot be used with earlier versions of Jubula.

Step 3: Download the example projects

1. There are two example projects you'll need. One is the one we'll be using as a basis for the exercises; the other is the finished version for reference. You can download the zip file for both the projects here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/jubula/EclipseCon2012.zip

2. Once you've downloaded the zip file, extract it.

Step 4: Install Jubula

1. The setup file starts an installer. Follow the steps to install Smile Don't worry that the version number in the installer is 6.0.00072.

Step 5: Test your system

1. Start the Jubula application from either the start menu or the <installDir>/jubula folder.

2. In the "Test" menu (not the File menu), select: "Import" and choose the projects you downloaded and extracted.
a. At this point, the embedded database will be created. The "unbound modules" projects will be imported followed by the projects you specified for import.
b. If, once the import is complete, you can see a list of projects when you select: Test -> Open, then all is well. If you an error message when trying to create the database, then it's most likely a firewall problem.

3. Find the "Connect to Agent" button on the toolbar.
a. Click the small arrow next to it. Select the entry "Connect to embedded AUT Agent". The connect button should become disabled and the disconnect button enabled. If not, check your firewall settings.

4. Once you've done these three steps, then your system is ready and tested. Close Jubula and await further instructions at the tutorial (we'll be working with the projects exactly as they are imported, so don't start making any premature changes!).

If everything has gone well, you're all set. If you've run into problems along the way, then post your question into the forum in this thread.

We'll try and keep as close an eye on the forum as possible, but bear in mind we're also travelling Wink.

Best regards,
The Jubula Team

[Updated on: Wed, 21 March 2012 14:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Instructions for participants of the Jubula tutorial at EclipseCon [message #826737 is a reply to message #825978] Thu, 22 March 2012 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sup SCFriend
Will there be screencasts of the talks available?

Thx
Re: Instructions for participants of the Jubula tutorial at EclipseCon [message #826797 is a reply to message #826737] Thu, 22 March 2012 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
I'm not sure. If there are, then I'll post the link in the forum.

Regards,
Alex
Re: Instructions for participants of the Jubula tutorial at EclipseCon [message #826860 is a reply to message #825978] Thu, 22 March 2012 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeb Ford-Reitz is currently offline Zeb Ford-ReitzFriend
I've also added the example projects from step 3 to the Jubula web site:

ht tp://download.eclipse.org/jubula/EclipseCon2012.zip

(I wonder if I'll ever be allowed to post links on this forum...)
Re: Instructions for participants of the Jubula tutorial at EclipseCon [message #829428 is a reply to message #825978] Mon, 26 March 2012 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
I noticed that on Windows 7 64-bit, I had to "Run as Administrator" the Jubula setup.exe in order to allow it install into the default location (C:\Program Files (x86)\...) but other than that everything seems to be fine. I didn't have to explicitly disable the Firewall - Windows prompted me to allow Jubula's java.exe through the Firewall.

The other thing I was wondering: when Jubula comes with its own JRE (1.6.0_18 32-bit as I noticed), why is it important to verify that my default JRE is an 1.6 one ? My default JRE is a 64-bit one, will Jubula be able to connect to apps running 64-bit ?
Re: Instructions for participants of the Jubula tutorial at EclipseCon [message #829554 is a reply to message #829428] Mon, 26 March 2012 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Martin, thanks for the information. The reason we specified the 1.6 java was because we don't install a jre on all platforms (I think Windows and Linux yes, but Mac no). See you later this afternoon!
Alex
Re: Instructions for participants of the Jubula tutorial at EclipseCon [message #830547 is a reply to message #829554] Tue, 27 March 2012 19:31 Go to previous message
The slides for the tutorial are now online via SlideShare. If you haven't already, please remember to evaluate the session via the EclipseCon website.

Best regards,
Alex
Previous Topic:autagent blocking scripted execution by leaving console stream open
Next Topic:[Q] Extending Properties
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:53:28 GMT 2024