Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Not seeing same results as Mark Dexter tutorials
Not seeing same results as Mark Dexter tutorials [message #823889] Mon, 19 March 2012 02:06 Go to next message
Mike Pritchard is currently offline Mike PritchardFriend
<background> I'm trying to get back into some more serious programming - hence Eclipse. Ultimately, I want to experiment with a RESTful API with PHP, maybe Javascript, before figuring out if this is something I can do or get help from a developer </background>

I installed Eclipse 3.7 on Ubuntu 10.04 - no PHP support. Started it up, then decided I needed help to understand. Made the (probably dumb) mistake of thinking that I'd get the help I needed from PDT, so renamed /opt/eclipse to /opt/eclipse-orig - I'm explaining this in case that's part of my problem. Installed zend all-in-one (zend-eclipse-php-helios...) and started to play, but couldn't get the debugger to work and decided I needed better basic understanding of Eclipse. Renamed that version, and went back to the 3.7 version, then started running Mark Dexter tutorials.

Tutorial 1 - fine.
Tutorial 2 - uses a .xml file and should bring up the Outline. I'm not seeing anything in the outline window (although I do for .java). The editor doesn't show any directed syntax for XML. There isn't a task list either.

So, should I just blow away the Eclipse installations and start again? Or am I just missing something about using XML - which I may want in any case. I'm sure it is pretty obvious from this message that I know nothing about adding language support.

TIA!
Re: Not seeing same results as Mark Dexter tutorials [message #824001 is a reply to message #823889] Mon, 19 March 2012 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend
"I installed Eclipse 3.7 on Ubuntu 10.04" isn't enough detail to figure out whats going on (which likely boils down to you either not having the XML Editor installed or needing to use the file's Open With context menu to use the right editor). Did you use an Ubuntu package? Did you download a file from eclipse.org? Either way, which one?

---
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP, IBM
Re: Not seeing same results as Mark Dexter tutorials [message #824783 is a reply to message #824001] Tue, 20 March 2012 03:35 Go to previous message
Mike Pritchard is currently offline Mike PritchardFriend
Sorry about that. The initial installation was from eclipse-SDK-3.7.2-linux-gtk.tar.gz, downloaded from the Eclipse.org site. But I can't figure out how I found an SDK instead of something else.

Then I followed Colin Robinson's install instructions at colinrrobinson.com/technology/install-eclipse-ubuntu/ to get it installed and running. Oh, that referenced the SDK, but I still can't figure out exactly where the download came from or why. Should I just start over?

Thanks
Previous Topic:Importing Issues - Please Help!
Next Topic:Eclipse doesn't switch to Perl module file view while debugging (with EPIC)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 20 11:41:19 GMT 2014